Thunderclap

Author Topic: Trigger Warning Announcements  (Read 1878 times)

GrayBrianThomas

• Haiku
    • View Profile
Trigger Warning Announcements
« on: July 22, 2013, 12:52:10 AM »
After CUPSI, I had the opportunity to participate in a discussion regarding triggering poems and trigger warnings.  While a lot of ideas were put out there, but I believe the best one would include a line or two in the hosts spiel before the slam warning members of the audience that some pieces may trigger traumatic recollections, etc, and give direction to resources if they are available (such as Big Homies at CUPSI) in the event a traumatic experience has been triggered.  Can we make something like this happen?

simone

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Boston Poetry Slam
Re: Trigger Warning Announcements
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 06:14:23 AM »
Can we make something like this happen?

Gray! I support your idea wholeheartedly... But not your timing. With just a few weeks to go before NPS, I'm not sure we will be able to get the community to agree to change the spiel.

We've actually been trying to do this for years, but folks don't tend to get excited about slam work during the off-season. Here is one thread about it in case you would like to read up and jump in:
http://www.poetryslam.com/forum/index.php/topic,7869.msg82321.html#msg82321

You might want to email the initiator of that thread personally (a message through the forum system will get to her). I know she is invested in putting in the time to make this happen. I doubt that this can happen for NPS 2013, but would love to see work on revising the spiel get back off the ground with your suggestions.
Simone Beaubien
SlamMaster, Boston Poetry Slam

Ransacked

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • Aliens Ransacked my Room
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 03:19:00 AM »
This particular forum thread got referenced by The New Republic yesterday (March 3, 2014), in an article about Trigger Warnings. Here's the link: http://www.newrepublic.com/article/116842/trigger-warnings-have-spread-blogs-college-classes-thats-bad and here's the relevant paragraph:

The backlash has not stopped the growth of the trigger warning, and now that they've entered university classrooms, it's only a matter of time before warnings are demanded for other grade levels. As students introduce them in college newspapers, promotional material for plays, even poetry slams, it's not inconceivable that they'll appear at the beginning of film screenings and at the entrance to art exhibits. Will newspapers start applying warnings to articles about rape, murder, and war? Could they even become a regular feature of speech? "I was walking down Main Street last night when—trigger warning—I saw an elderly woman get mugged."

Harlym 125

• Limerick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 04:01:21 PM »
I support this and thank you for suggesting the effort.