Author Topic: Suffern Slam Society Selection Process  (Read 483 times)

bryan.r

• Haiku
    • View Profile
Suffern Slam Society Selection Process
« on: April 26, 2014, 04:28:28 PM »
I don't think I posted this last year. I heard somewhere that we have to post it, in accordance with THE RULES, and I don't want to get DairyQueened, so here they be:

Our regular slams happen the first Saturday of each month, from September through April. The top ten folk on our scoreboard come May are invited to compete in our finals; people that do well in finals are asked to be on the team.

As far as getting points on the scoreboard, this is how you do it:
ATTEND AND PARTICIPATE!

First of all, to even be considered for finals, you have to slam with us at least once. Other than that, you get points for the following:
Attending a slam but not competing -- 1 point [includes reading in the open mic, judging, etc.]
Participating in the slam but not placing -- 2 points
Emceeing, scorekeeping/timekeeping, or being the sacrificial poet -- 2 points
Placing 3rd in the slam -- 3 points
Placing 2nd in the slam -- 4 points
Placing 1st in the slam -- 5 points

We have this system because we want to reward both skill and community membership. It's important to us that any representatives we send to any competition are members of our scene in a meaningful way.

Our finals slam has 3 rounds:
Round 1: top 10 poets from the year's scoreboard
Round 2: top 8 poets from round 1
Round 3: top 6 poets from round 2

Top 5 poets from finals will be asked to be on our team! If anyone can't, we go down the list from there until we have five.

Cheers,
Bryan
slammaster, sSs

P.S. We started in Suffern, NY but have most of our slams in Nyack, NY lately because we keep closing venues.
Body count, so far:
Hines Gallery [closed Oct 2011]
On the Way Gourmet Cafe [closed spring 2012]
Ireland's 32 [closed spring 2013]
Wicked Ale House [closed some time in 2013]
Bryan Roessel

Slammaster of Suffern Slam Society
Rockland County, NY