Author Topic: RULE HELP  (Read 608 times)

edmabrey

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • http://blackpearlpoetry.blogspot.com
RULE HELP
« on: March 25, 2014, 10:32:32 AM »
Didn't know the best place to post this anymore or the best person to ask, so I am posting it here.
Just a couple questions.
1) Where can I find the most up to date and extensive posting on PSI Rules as they pertain to PROPS?
2) Was there anything ever formally determined regarding CHEERLEADING in Slam Events? If so, where can I find that rule or definition?
3) Not sure where this one falls into place( I am thinking Cheerleading but could be wrong)- IS there a rule or discussion thread, about call and response poems? About the "rep your set" Call and Response that happens (this is when a person or team are about to perform and have a call and response they use as a formal declaration of who they are/where they're from/etc)?
And anything regarding the gray zone of large portions of audiences saying your poem with you or for you?
Thanks much,
Ed Mabrey
lack Pearl Poetry
"Let The Words Speak for Themselves"

jesster

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Jesse Parent
Re: RULE HELP
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 10:46:08 AM »
The most current rulebook is here : http://forums.poetryslam.com/index.php/topic,1803.msg90338.html#msg90338

1) Here is the only thing we have on props

Quote from: PSI Handbook - Pages 35-36
Generally, poets are allowed to use their given environment and the accoutrements
it offers - microphones, mic stands, the stage itself, chairs on stage, a
table or bar top, the aisle - as long as these accoutrements are available to other
competitors as well. The rule concerning props is not intended to squelch
the spontaneity, unpredictability, or on-the-fly choreography that people love
about the slam; its intent is to keep the focus on the words rather than objects.
Refer to Section V (Definitions) for further clarification on what is and is not
a prop. Teams or individuals who inadvertently use a prop (for example, a
timely yet unwitting grab at a necklace) can be immediately penalized two
points if the MC of the bout deems the effect of the violation to have been
appreciable, but sufficiently lacking in specific intent. A formal protest need
not be lodged before the MC can penalize a poet or team in this way, however,
the decision of the MC can be appealed after the bout. Teams or individuals
whose use of props in a poem appears to be more calculating and the result of
a specific intent to enhance, illustrate, underscore, or otherwise augment the
words of the poem will be given a retroactive score for the poem equal to two
points less than the lowest scoring poem in that bout. This deduction, which
can only be applied after a formal protest has been lodged against the offending
team, will not be made by the MC, but by a special committee assembled
for this purpose.

and under definitions:

Quote from: PSI Handbook - Page 40
Prop: an object or article of clothing introduced into a performance with the
effect of enhancing, illustrating, underscoring, or otherwise augmenting the
words of the poem.

2) For Cheerleading, this COULD apply:

Quote from: PSI Handbook - Page 37
Influencing the crowd before the bout begins.
Poets are allowed to talk casually with anyone in the crowd before the bout
begins (except the judges, if they have already been chosen). They are not,
however, allowed to give anything to the audience or have anyone do this for
them. Furthermore, inside the venue (in the presence or within earshot of the
audience) they must not act in any way that would make more of an impression
than another competitor waiting for the competition to begin. Poets who
violate this rule will be given one warning by the MC, Bout Manager,
or house manager. Further violation will result in a two-point penalty for
that poet’s score (or his team).

3) I seem to recall Steve Marsh once talking about how the crowd can't try and do the poem with the person. I forget what he called it. Basically it's like doing a group piece. As far as the call and response some teams have, that does indeed seem to fit into the cheerleading question you asked.

Hope that helps,
Jesse

simone

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Boston Poetry Slam
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 04:30:30 PM »
For future reference, here is a link to the Rules forum (might require you to be a current PSI member to view):
http://forums.poetryslam.com/index.php/board,5.0.html

I think the "cheerleading" section Ed is referring to might be the Gag Rule (or, colloquially, the "Bay Area" rule). This rule governed the behavior of teammates in the audience: teammates, coaches, and SMs were barred from leading or coaching the audience in response to a performer on stage. This rule was struck around 2008, about the time indies were removed from NPS; behavior of this type at NPS now may cause the poem to be assessed as a group piece. The rule was removed since the rules on what constitutes a group piece and the rule about not influencing the audience (above) appeared to cover the same ground.

I do not see a thread, either current or old, in the Rules Forum about call and response. I would be happy to join in a discussion over there, or, with Ed's permission, could arrange to have this thread moved to the Rules Forum so we can continue there.
Simone Beaubien
SlamMaster, Boston Poetry Slam

edmabrey

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • http://blackpearlpoetry.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 06:38:41 PM »
Thank you both. Just needed some clarity and wanted to be properly informed before having any discussions. I have attended some slams that will state they abide by "PSI Rules" but at times have seemed to mostly be referring to the general MC Spiel that was created for PSI events, which I know of course in no way discusses or covers all the rules created over the years.
These aren't events remotely connected to PSI by the way( don't want to look like I'm stirring anything up when there is nothing to be stirred). Just folks with good intentions who aren't used to having too many people involved with their slams actually be people who regularly are involved with PSI ran slams. (The PSI Rule quote these days is often used as shorthand and works to add a sense of fairness and legitimacy to non-psi events. Kudos for that)
Anywho, thanks much.

One final question, and I will use a NPS example just because it's the only cross reference I can think of that fits.

In a indie or team based slam environment, was there ever any ruling regarding teams/ groups of people/etc all calling out a phrase just prior to a poet performing?
Like- Poet (be it a poet on a team or an indie event) gets called to stage. Just prior to poem, ten people scream, "We scream for Ice Cream" and ten other people reply "We Ice Cream for scream" referring to the poet on stage who is from the famed Ice Cream area of the country.
Is that just considered moral support these days and lumped into the 'go in poet' randomness of a crowd, or does the orchestrated play and effect have some ruling here in file-land?

Thanks again folks, I just want to be more edumacated (like educated, but you know, not)
lack Pearl Poetry
"Let The Words Speak for Themselves"

jesster

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Jesse Parent
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 07:59:55 PM »
Gag Rule! That's what I was trying to remember. Thanks, Simone!

One final question, and I will use a NPS example just because it's the only cross reference I can think of that fits.

In a indie or team based slam environment, was there ever any ruling regarding teams/ groups of people/etc all calling out a phrase just prior to a poet performing?
Like- Poet (be it a poet on a team or an indie event) gets called to stage. Just prior to poem, ten people scream, "We scream for Ice Cream" and ten other people reply "We Ice Cream for scream" referring to the poet on stage who is from the famed Ice Cream area of the country.
Is that just considered moral support these days and lumped into the 'go in poet' randomness of a crowd, or does the orchestrated play and effect have some ruling here in file-land?

Thanks again folks, I just want to be more edumacated (like educated, but you know, not)

Slam NUBA has a pretty well known call and response "Slam NUBA" "We cut heads!"

Their youth scene, Minor Disturbance, also respond to their team name with "No bedtime!"

Again, these could arguably fall into the Influencing the Crowd rule, but no one has ever tried to protest it

-Jesse

simone

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Boston Poetry Slam
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 08:21:21 AM »
Slam NUBA has a pretty well known call and response "Slam NUBA" "We cut heads!"
Their youth scene, Minor Disturbance, also respond to their team name with "No bedtime!"
Again, these could arguably fall into the Influencing the Crowd rule, but no one has ever tried to protest it

I think that would be a really long argument! Glad I'm not on protest committee this year (she says in advance). Trying to legislate what the crowd can do sounds difficult, and seems undesirable to me.

Anyway, short answer, Ed: nope, no explicit rule against that kind of behavior, and no one (so far) at a PSI tournament has tried to use the existing rules to protest it.
Simone Beaubien
SlamMaster, Boston Poetry Slam

AmyD

• Ballad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 10:01:28 PM »
You could also argue that once the team starts shouting a call/response, their time has started.