Author Topic: Help a poet out! (How to go about...)  (Read 6652 times)

Fable

• PSI Members
  • Haiku
  • Learn-Grow-Evolve-Repeat
    • View Profile
    • My Poetry In Motion
Help a poet out! (How to go about...)
« on: April 24, 2013, 11:40:48 AM »
Hey PSI,

My name is Marcel Price, but most in my city call me "Fable".
I have been writing/preforming since about 2007.
MANY people tell me I am talented, and that "I am going somewhere".

BUT, I disagree.
I wen't out of MI, for the first time in my life about 2 weeks ago.
I HAD, to go to chicago, as "The Green Mill" is the oldest spoken word venue/slam venue, in the U.S.
So, I went there.
I HEARD SO MANY, nice, humbling words, AND I won their slam!!!

But,
Although I know my craft,

I do NOT know how to go about chasing it properly,
a lot of people in my city (At least in the hip-hop scene) HATE,
Giving advice,
I hope that the poetry scene is not the same, as I see it as an art where you help/push your culture, so it can continue to grow and evolve.

So my Questions:
-How do you go about finding individual Slams?
-How do you go about finding features/Venues, so you can travel, and make money at least just to get there and back?
-How do you spread your work here? Is there a section?

I have been on other forums for other things, and I LOVE the idea of this, if I mis posted this, please, let me know where i should post this.

I would appreciate any insight!
"Do you think razor blades kiss skin, Because WORDS, are Nerf Gun?
Because I've Played with Nurf Guns..."

jesster

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Jesse Parent
Re: Help a poet out! (How to go about...)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 01:31:32 PM »
So my Questions:
-How do you go about finding individual Slams?
-How do you go about finding features/Venues, so you can travel, and make money at least just to get there and back?
-How do you spread your work here? Is there a section?

Fable!

I can help assuage your fears because I SAW you win at the Green Mill and you are indeed talented. Here's some answers to your specicif questions:

1) There is a slam map on this site at http://www.poetryslam.com/index.php?option=com_civicrm&task=civicrm/profile/map&map=1&gid=2&reset=1&Itemid=127
It may not be 100% up to date, but it should help you get started. For big regional events, you are right in the middle of the Rustbelt Poetry Slam. So you should check that out, too.
https://twitter.com/RustbeltPS2013
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rustbelt2011/

2) That's a tricky question because so much of that is networking. Again, refer to the slam map to get started, start making connections, and get good video/press of your performances. Some venues take unsolicited offers, others want a vetting process, and still more are invite only

3) This is not a great place to post work and get feedback. Other places like www.gotpoetry.com and even facebook (tagging people in notes) are more effective

Good luck and I hope that helps!

-Jesse

Billy T

• Limerick
    • View Profile
    • Threehundredsixty Degrees and Rising
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 02:36:43 AM »
A great place for networking is any PSi festival. The National Poetry Slam returns to the Boston area in August. There is also the Individual World Poetry Slam this fall in Spokane, WA. Both always need volunteers. Go to the home page of this site for details. Good luck.
Chicago Four Star PC http://www.ourstage.com/epk/chicagofourstarpoetryclub
PolyRhythmic
Temple of HipHop

karen_g

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/artamokslamteam
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 04:28:01 PM »
My advice for poets just starting to reach out or want to travel is to put yourself in front of as many different kinds of audiences as possible; libraries, churches, youth groups,loud bars,parks and mixed open mics. I'm guessing you are already doing this a bit because you've been around since '07 & took the brave step to go to the Mill and compete!
Writing in community also helps. If there is someone near you with some experience who writes or hosts, meet with them, ask for crit, take notes & listen to what they say. Anyone who has been doing it for a minute can tell you what they like to see when they're booking as well as flags that inspire turning away potential features. When you're asking about features, do it well in advance. Lots of venues have booking seasons & 4-6 months out is a good yardstick. Try to check out the websites of venues you want to hit or their Facebook pages.Ask a lot of questions.
Going to Rustbelt is a great idea! There will be workshops, people to network with, poems to listen & learn from & lots of people to talk to!
Before you hit the road for something long, do some weekend shorter trips, so you can note the things you didn't need when you packed & the things you found yourself needing.
Be aware that a lot of places can only give a cut of the door & that  a lot of slams and mics have to pay something to their venue first. Talk about this before your book. If you are offering to do a workshop, make sure that gets a separate fee or pass the hat from the venue/feature. Have some emergency funds & food, any meds you have taken care of loaded before you go. Try to book with familiar faces or friends who can support you at different places or times on the map to combat isolation & pick up some TLC.
Most poets are lucky if they break even, especially if they're new.Don't take it personally. The longer you drive at it, the more you learn.Nobody knows you from Adam unless you come through a few times.Figure out what works best for you. The road isn't for everyone, so you can work it to suit you instead of the other way around once you know your own rhythm.
I hope I see you at a big tent event!
nerak_g