Thunderclap

Author Topic: Hi! looking to join a team!  (Read 2194 times)

ilanak

• Haiku
    • View Profile
Hi! looking to join a team!
« on: October 28, 2012, 03:09:18 PM »
Hi,

I'm a 19 year old student, planning on attending Utah State University next semester. I'd love to join a team in Utah, or California (where I'm from originally)... I'm willing to send videos of my work, or simple documents.

Please let me know if there are any available spaces open,

thanks!

Ilana

DeonteOsayande

• Haiku
    • View Profile
Re: Hi! looking to join a team!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 08:43:57 PM »
You usually have to compete for a spot on a team although I'm digging your eagerness. There is a poet here, Jesse Parent, I think he's out in Utah if I'm not mistaken. There are also plenty of slams and events going on in Cali depending what part you're in, but yeah, you've got to attend the slam and compete for a spot and all of that fun stuff.

jesster

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Jesse Parent
Re: Hi! looking to join a team!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 08:52:40 PM »
Hi Ilana!

Deonte is correct. I can help you out with Utah resources. We have slams in Ogden, Salt Lake City, and Riverton. There is also a CUPSI (college team) at the University of Utah that formed last year. You can keep up on our happenings on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/142817314750/

As Deonte also mentioned, all slam teams are selected through open competition. The two PSi certified slams we have are in Riverton UT at the Coffee Shop (Second Thursday of the month) and Salt Lake City at Mo's Grill (Last Monday of the Month... TOMORROW!). Both are 18+ slams and both just started their seasons. See the facebook group for more info on our selection process, or look up each slam in the selection process threads on this forum.

Ogden has a slam the 3rd Tuesday of the month at Grounds for Coffee, but is not PSi certified and will not send a team to the National Poetry Slam in 2013. The University of Utah has a slam team they send to CUPSI, but you have to be a student to get on the team.

Let me know if you have any further questions, and please check out the facebook group.

-Jesse