Author Topic: What's the slam scene in Philadelphia?  (Read 7272 times)

Ransacked

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • Aliens Ransacked my Room
What's the slam scene in Philadelphia?
« on: February 22, 2008, 05:02:14 PM »
Can it really be that my hometown, the fourth or fifth-largest city in the US, has no regular poetry slam?

I know that UPenn has a strong reading series at Poets' House in West Philly, and a Google search reveals a fair number of open mics (some poetry, some whatever).  And this summer I know there was some sponsored slam by Adidas and Rockport shoes (???)  But there doesn't seem to be anything regular or PSI-affiliated.

Understand that if I'm digging into some misbegotten tale of intrigue, it's purely by accident.  I just find it odd that there are 2 weekly slams in Boston/Cambridge, but none in Philly.

Steve

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • The Wordsmith Press
Re: What's the slam scene in Philadelphia?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 06:41:52 PM »
In the past, yes. But now? Not so much.

MattMason

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • http://matt.midverse.com
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 09:55:58 PM »
I know, I was in Philly last year and was surprised I couldn't find a slam.  They can only dream of being as cool and cultured as us here in Omaha.
-------------------------------------------
See more Nebraska Poetry info at: www.poetrymenu.com
And Omaha Slam info at: www.OmahaSlam.com
And Matt Mason whatever at: matt.midverse.com

suziqsmith

• Epic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 02:41:17 AM »
hrmph . . . I'll be in Philly in a couple of weeks, it is a shame that I won't be able to check out a slam.

Ransacked

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 11:38:14 PM »
I know, I was in Philly last year and was surprised I couldn't find a slam.  They can only dream of being as cool and cultured as us here in Omaha.

Your cows dream of being our cheesesteaks, Matt.  :)

MattMason

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • http://matt.midverse.com
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 10:10:11 PM »
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
-------------------------------------------
See more Nebraska Poetry info at: www.poetrymenu.com
And Omaha Slam info at: www.OmahaSlam.com
And Matt Mason whatever at: matt.midverse.com

karen_g

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/artamokslamteam
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 09:58:12 AM »
Can it really be that my hometown, the fourth or fifth-largest city in the US, has no regular poetry slam?

I know!If only I'd known while I lived there, I mighta been able to start something.
There used to be a reading on South Street I loved because cats like Amiri Baraka would just stop by, no fuss, and read on the open just like everyone else.That' was '99, though.
nerak_g

Michael Mlekoday

• Limerick
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/mlekoday
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 08:17:38 PM »
Yeah, that sucks. UPenn & Philly Youthspeaks are way too good to not have a PSI outlet.

JacobW11

• Slammasters
  • Haiku
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 01:47:17 PM »
I know this post is old but it is one of the first things that comes up when Philadelphia Poetry Slam is googled. We have two poetry slams! A monthly poetry slam The Pigeon Presents: The Philadelphia Poetry Slam & the bi weekly The Fuze Poetry Slam. Both are great. Both worth checking out.

karen_g

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/artamokslamteam
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 02:31:55 PM »
I know this post is old but it is one of the first things that comes up when Philadelphia Poetry Slam is googled. We have two poetry slams! A monthly poetry slam The Pigeon Presents: The Philadelphia Poetry Slam & the bi weekly The Fuze Poetry Slam. Both are great. Both worth checking out.

My mom sends me articles all the time on what's going on up in Philly  :D
nerak_g

Dahled

• NPS Host City Forum
  • Ballad
    • View Profile
    • Our Myspace
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 06:00:22 PM »
Here's a FB specifically about open-mics, spoken word events and whatnot in Philly https://www.facebook.com/groups/519926394691275/
the long and short of it is that there are lots of open-mics but slam comes and goes. also, when going to open-mics make sure it's not music only, Philly is a music town more than a poetry town.

sherod

• Limerick
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 12:36:27 PM »
Hey this us tge slam master for tge fuze in Philly . Philly is just as much as a poetry town as a music town. Up until tge fuze there wasn't a slam scene and with tge addition if the pigeon now there is . Facebook me @sherod Smallman 

Ransacked

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 07:47:24 PM »
Thanks Sherod and Dahled.

I'm not often in my hometown, but I'll be back for Christmas and some family visits in the Spring. I went to the Fuze two years ago around Thanksgiving to check out the open mic and the place was locked, chair-on-tables kind of thing. But I'm glad to hear you're still at it and that poetry is still happening regularly there.

Thanks for bumping this back up! I hope to check out your slam next time I'm in town.

Dahled, someday I need to perform my poem about Chester when you're in the room. I don't know if you'll like me more or less afterward, but I think either way it'll resonate with you.