Author Topic: Houston Poetry Slam Qualifying Process  (Read 23296 times)

Bro.Said

• Ballad
    • View Profile
    • Houston Poetry Slam
Re: Houston Poetry Slam Qualifying Process
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 09:27:41 PM »
For those of you dying to know, this is an update concerning the Houston Slam Team roster. The starting lineup for the team based on finals was Khalid, Shelz, Savanah Blue, and Brother Said. Fluent1 qualified to be the alternate, but decided against it some weeks later. Q accepted the alternate spot, but then moved out of town, Black Blues won the alternate spot in an Alternates slam in March, but recently had to leave the team for personal issues.

Black Blues has been replaced from the Super Slam Week competitor list by Jamesetta Marshall aka Jem.

Hopefully, this ends the musical chairs for the alternate spot.
Brother Said
Houston Slam Master

Bro.Said

• Ballad
    • View Profile
    • Houston Poetry Slam
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2010, 01:11:50 PM »
Public Notice:

Unfortunately, after many months of trying to be patient, finally this past week I was forced to remove a poet from the team for numerous violations of the team contract: continued tardiness to practice, missing practices, missing fund raisers, and most disturbingly, unsportsmanlike comments about a fellow team member. And apparently, the alternate poet has left the team in support of the team member I had to remove (neither one of these players would communicate with me directly, preferring to communicate with others)

Tonight, I will hold an Alternate Slam to replace the poet I had to remove, and then search for a true alternate from my competition list.
Brother Said
Houston Slam Master

Bro.Said

• Ballad
    • View Profile
    • Houston Poetry Slam
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 06:04:52 AM »
In a head-to-head bout Saturday night at G's and Z's held to replace a poet removed from the team, Rain the Poet beat Marie Brown two rounds to one.

Round One: Marie Brown - 9, Rain - 20.
Round Two: Rain - 9, Marie Brown - 20.
Round Three: Marie Brown - 0, Rain - 30.

Rain qualifies as a top four poet on the team, and Marie qualifies as the alternate.

Brother Said
Houston Slam Master

Bro.Said

• Ballad
    • View Profile
    • Houston Poetry Slam
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 01:52:49 PM »
Synopsis of the 2011 Final

The 2011 Houston Slam Team Grand Slam Final on Friday February 18th was not as filled with anticipation, drama, and intrigue as in years past. Outspoken, Khalid, Rain, and Brother Said were among some of the players favored to win, and they met little competition. Rain had led the rankings during most of the season. Khalid over took her and claimed the No.1 spot, and then during the final weeks of the season Outspoken catapulted to the top of the rankings. He claimed no.1 for Super Slam Week as well, but didn’t show up to the Final to defend his spot. No other ranked poets showed up to the Final to compete in their earned bouts. No other poets were present to claim open positions vacated by ranking poets. So Brother Said, Marie Brown, Khalid, and Rain were declared the 2011 Houston Slam Team by default. By rule a competition must occur with at least four poets for final ranking. The results are listed below and for the second year in a row Khalid is the 2011 Houston Slam Team Grand Slam Champion. Savannah Blue is possibly the alternate for this year having qualified as the next runner up on the Super Slam Week list of ranking poets.

Khalid – 117.9
 Marie Brown – 117.7
 Rain – 116.5
 Brother Said – 111.3
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 05:52:21 PM by Bro.Said »
Brother Said
Houston Slam Master

Bro.Said

• Ballad
    • View Profile
    • Houston Poetry Slam
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 02:21:02 PM »
As of Sunday May 1, 2011, Micheal Reado a.ka. Khalid Khaliq has resigned from the Houston Slam Team as a result of two days of discussions concerning his attendance and commitment at practice and fund raisers.

Savannah Blue moves up from the alternate position, and I have scheduled a slam to get a new alternate. The Houston Poetry Slam emergency slam is scheduled for 8pm Wednesday downtown at Notsuoh. This slam features poets Micheal Kahlil Taylor, Black Blues, Da Truth, and Jerome Washington.
Brother Said
Houston Slam Master

Bro.Said

• Ballad
    • View Profile
    • Houston Poetry Slam
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 06:09:52 PM »
Synopsis of the 2012 Final

I haven't been able to keep up with 2012 updates here due to a hectic year of out-of-town work and computer issues. I didn't know how much I relied on the desktop or laptop until I was without one. The laptop is still dead, but the desktop finally rebelled against the dominance of the reliably frustrating Microsoft  OS with it's gradual yet inevitable system...... s...l...o...w...d...o...w...n. So I switched to Linux. It's free, but has it's own issues. I've gone through innumerable installations of Ubuntu, PClinux OS, and finally settled on the Ubuntu based Linux Mint. So far, so ok. It's not as buggy as Ubuntu, but seems to freeze up for no apparent reason.

While out of town working, my designated assistant Slammaster didn't keep as thorough of a record as I like. Suffice it to say the winners of the 2012 Houston Slam Team Grand Slam Final held in early February WERE: 1st. Savannah Blue, 2nd Brother Said. 3rd Karega Ani. 4th Softly Spoken and Black Blues is our alternate as usual. 

BUT in keeping with long standing Houston slam team tradition - Softly Spoken was removed from the team in late April. Karega Ani left the team in early May.  For those of you dying to know, we will keep you posted
Brother Said
Houston Slam Master

Bro.Said

• Ballad
    • View Profile
    • Houston Poetry Slam
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 07:20:51 PM »
For those of you dying to know, my computer is working so....here's an update:

1. Malcolm Jackson a.k.a SPEAK, became the newest member of the Houston Slam Team as the result of a alternates slam held in April.

2. Ashley Netorize bexane the newset member of the Houston Slam Team as the result of an alternate slam held in May.

3. Loyce Gyo replaced Ashley as a result of an alternate Slam held July 4th.

The 2012 Houston Slam Team is Savannah Blue, Brother Said, Black Blues, Speak, and Loyce Gyo.

See you at Nationals. Probably our last Nationals for at least a couple of years. 
Brother Said
Houston Slam Master