Thunderclap

Author Topic: The Individual World Poetry Slam, October 3rd-6th in Fayetteville, Arkansas  (Read 5518 times)

HoustonRH7

• Slammasters
  • Sonnet
    • View Profile
Fayetteville, Arkansas is proud to be the host of the 2012 Individual World Poetry Slam! For those who’ve never heard of us, we are a mountain town located in the northwest corner of Arkansas, east of Tulsa and south of Kansas City. We're a very liberal town, and the University of Arkansas accounts for about a third of the population of the city. People call us "the Austin of Arkansas"; it's a pretty apt description.

Go ahead and check out our website, iwps.poetryslam.com. Our facebook site is also up at http://www.facebook.com/IWPS2012; we’ll be using that site to do polls on what kind of events folks want and keeping the most up to date information.

DATES: 
October 3-6

HOST HOTEL
Our host hotel is the newly renovated Chancellor, the only hotel located in Fayetteville’s Town Square. Room rates are $109 for either a Superior King Room or Superior Queen Room. Reservations may be made by calling The Chancellor Hotel directly at 855-285-6162. To guarantee a room reservation within the PSI block, reservations must be made by September 6, 2012. Some rooms may be available at the hotel between September 6th and September 20, 2012, but don't wait that long if you want to be at the host hotel.

GETTING HERE
Because Fayetteville is centrally located in the continental US, most American cities are a one-day drive away or less. Denver, Albuquerque, Corpus Christie, Atlanta, Knoxville, Dayton, Chicago, and St. Paul are all 12 hours or less away, and gas prices here are always near the lowest in the country, making a drive easy (and cheaper than flying from many places). If you are from outside the US, or far enough away that you’d like to fly, the closest airport is the Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport (XNA). It’s approximately 40 minutes away from the host hotel, and is served by many major airlines, as well as smaller (and cheaper) airlines such as Allegiant Air. We will have cars running to and from the airport on demand on Wednesday and Thursday; we only ask that you help our drivers out with gas cost, and let us know about when you're getting in so we can grab poets in groups.

If you can't find decent prices to XNA, you may want to look at flying into Tulsa, Springfield (Missouri), or Little Rock, and either carpooling with locals or renting a car. Greyhound is also an option; the Fayetteville Greyhound Station is a short drive from the host hotel.

VENUES
The Last Chance Slam and finals will both take place on the University of Arkansas Campus, approximately one mile from the host hotel. Prelims and day events will take place on Dickson Street, the Fayetteville town square, and in the Fayetteville Public Library; all within 7 block of the host hotel.

EVENTS
We have a number of excellent events planned, and though they are not all set in stone, there are a few we are extremely excited about that we would like to share. Rob Sturma will be bringing Extreme Championship Poetry, an extraordinary mixture of professional wrestling and slam poetry. We will have a jam slam, where poets can perform in front of a live band made up of some of the best improvisational musicians. And we are looking at getting a burlesque group to be a part of our erotic slam. There will also be one more extremely special team-centered event, which will get its own post later.

VOLUNTEERS
As with any event, we can use all the volunteer help that folks are willing to give. Our volunteer coordinator is Doug Shields, and we have volunteer forms available on our website. Volunteer event passes and finals passes will be given based on the number of hours or specific jobs volunteered for.

OTHER AWESOME THINGS
We will be partnering with moleskine for the event to bring customized notebooks for all of the competing poets, as well as some extra notebooks for a few of the writing workshops. In return, moleskine has asked that we get some pictures and video of folks using their custom notebooks, and they will be interviewing some of the poets that reach finals stage.

PRICES
Day and late night events*: $5  (*half of the day events will be free)
One bout: $7, $5 with student ID
Two bouts (same venue, same night): $10, $7 with student ID
Finals (Early Bird: on or before Sept. 30):  $20
Finals (Late Bird: Oct. 1 – 5/Door):  $25
Finals (student): $15
Festival Pass (Early Bird: on or before Sept. 30): $50 ($40 with student ID)
Festival Pass (Oct. 1 or later): $70 ($60 with student ID)

If you have questions, please feel free to post them here or e-mail IWPS2012@gmail.com

STAFF:
Host City Chair, Venue Coordinator: Heather Polly
Volunteer Coordinator: Doug Shield
Publicity, PR and Marketing: Houston Hughes

jeaverlee

• Haiku
    • View Profile
Re: The Individual World Poetry Slam, October 3rd-6th in Fayetteville, Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 09:41:52 AM »
This is great information, and posted well in advance -- thank you.

I need to know one final detail -- who shall I contact about chartering a poet / providing flight arrival time at XNA?

I've got a poet who will need transportation to/from the hotel/airport and yes, we're happy to offer gas money -- just curious who we contact/how we forward that information. I don't want her stuck at the airport without a contact person.

Thanks muchly.
-Jeanann

HoustonRH7

• Slammasters
  • Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 10:02:20 AM »
This is great information, and posted well in advance -- thank you.

I need to know one final detail -- who shall I contact about chartering a poet / providing flight arrival time at XNA?

I've got a poet who will need transportation to/from the hotel/airport and yes, we're happy to offer gas money -- just curious who we contact/how we forward that information. I don't want her stuck at the airport without a contact person.

Thanks muchly.
-Jeanann

The contact is me, Houston Hughes. my number is 901-483-0884. Please shoot your reps flight info, as well as a good way to contact them day of, to either iwps2012@gmail.com, or as a message to our facebook page at facebook.com/iwps2012

jeaverlee

• Haiku
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 10:10:26 AM »
Fantastic, thanks!

lefebreb

• Haiku
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 09:46:04 AM »
I may need to withdraw my registration.  Am I too late to be refunded at this point?
Ayinde Russell

inkera

• Executive Council
  • Epic
    • View Profile
    • Slamcharlotte
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 03:57:54 PM »
I may need to withdraw my registration.  Am I too late to be refunded at this point?
Ayinde Russell

Yes you are too late to receive a refund. BUT this needs to be directed to Abbey. She can discuss this with you further.
I love me MORE.......the campaign

BrianOmniDillon

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • May.
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 05:04:10 PM »
semi-related. is it conceivable that a poet who is storming and already in the tournament choose to slam at Last Chance, win - and then get their storm spot refunded and take the 'free' registration? Hypothetically, of course.
lo the goddamn leaves.

inkera

• Executive Council
  • Epic
    • View Profile
    • Slamcharlotte
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 05:35:12 PM »
A poet who is already in the competition wouldn't be allowed to participate in the last chance slam. AND if by some chance they did and won, they still would not receive a refund.

I love me MORE.......the campaign