Thunderclap

Author Topic: Boycott Nationals??  (Read 4787 times)

puroshaggy

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • http://www.puroslam.com
Re: Boycott Nationals??
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 07:29:16 PM »
Thanks for the above post NPS 2012 Planning Team.  A great start to what I know will be a great event. 

simone

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Boston Poetry Slam
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 10:22:27 AM »
Oh, this is smart in so many ways, Inkera.

Thanks so much to you and the planning team! I can't wait to attend.
Simone Beaubien
SlamMaster, Boston Poetry Slam

Chris_Wilson

• Limerick
    • View Profile
    • Elevated! San Diego's Open-Mic
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 01:35:01 AM »
I understand and respect the seriousness of this conversation...I definitely agree that our presence in Charlotte will/should have a bigger impact than our absence ever would. Boycotting one state in this sea of bigotry and hate seems like wasted energy. I also don't think it's fair to focus solely on Charlotte/NC at this point. As someone pointed out earlier in this thread, 32 out of 33 states have decided to outlaw gay marriage...31 of them prior to the NC vote/ban. Lastly, this is not solely a problem for the LGBT community...Amendment 1 attacked domestic partnerships as a whole. The only relationship the state will recognize is marriage between a man and a woman. Single mothers are also placed in a very precarious position in the eyes of the courts as a result of this ill-written, anti-human legislation.

I think the following suggestion should be looked into further 
I, too, would prefer to avoid giving my vacation money to bigots. Is there a queer organization we can ask to provide us with a list of allied businesses, like restaurants and hotels, that we would like to give our dollars to? Inkera or Karen, I would love your suggestions on how to make this possible.
It may not be possible to list all the Gay friendly businesses, but here in San Diego, we definitely have a listing of the unfriendly businesses.

We could also post a petition on Change.org asking the chair of the DNC/NC Governor/State house to take action in the form of a resolution to block the adoption of the amendment. With all of our venues/poets/audiences, I very confident we could get more than 25k viral signatures to support that effort. I can come up with some language for the petition (since its what I do for a living) and get it up on Change.org in a short amount of time. It may not stop the adoption/enforcement but it would send notice and let our voice be heard at the highest levels of govt.
Christopher Wilson
San Diego SlamMaster

karen_g

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/artamokslamteam
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 09:00:07 AM »
The NPS 2012 Planning Team respects the rights of all people and we understand the concerns that some have expressed about the approval of Amendment One in the state of North Carolina.

As a result of Tuesday's vote, we know that some of you may feel that you are not welcome in North Carolina, but that is not the case, and we hope that you will keep in mind that the Amendment was defeated in both the city of Charlotte and in Mecklenburg County.

Also, we feel that now, more than ever, the voices of those affected should be heard. We believe that NPS 2012 will be the perfect forum for this, especially when you consider that the 2012 Democratic National Convention will take place in Charlotte just 4 weeks after NPS 2012.

And what better group of people to raise their voices to be heard than poets, large groups of poets?

We need you to come to North Carolina and let your voice be heard. And to help facilitate this, we are planning a special opening event for NPS 2012 on Monday, August 6:

Spit LOVE~SLAM Amendment One

More details about Spit LOVE~SLAM Amendment One will soon follow, but our goal is to involve various organizations in the Charlotte community and invite every media outlet that will come.

If you disagree with Amendment One, then we invite you to make a stand by joining us in Charlotte for NPS 2012, where you will have a chance to let your voice be heard.

Many thanks_

The NPS 2012 Planning Team

Thank you, Inkera! We will be there!
nerak_g

Punky921

• Haiku
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 10:07:21 AM »
Quote from: karen_g link=topic=7883. msg81621#msg81621 date=1337176807
Quote from: inkera link=topic=7883. msg81562#msg81562 date=1336775341
The NPS 2012 Planning Team respects the rights of all people and we understand the concerns that some have expressed about the approval of Amendment One in the state of North Carolina.

As a result of Tuesday's vote, we know that some of you may feel that you are not welcome in North Carolina, but that is not the case, and we hope that you will keep in mind that the Amendment was defeated in both the city of Charlotte and in Mecklenburg County.

Also, we feel that now, more than ever, the voices of those affected should be heard.  We believe that NPS 2012 will be the perfect forum for this, especially when you consider that the 2012 Democratic National Convention will take place in Charlotte just 4 weeks after NPS 2012. 

And what better group of people to raise their voices to be heard than poets, large groups of poets?

We need you to come to North Carolina and let your voice be heard.  And to help facilitate this, we are planning a special opening event for NPS 2012 on Monday, August 6:

Spit LOVE~SLAM Amendment One

More details about Spit LOVE~SLAM Amendment One will soon follow, but our goal is to involve various organizations in the Charlotte community and invite every media outlet that will come.

If you disagree with Amendment One, then we invite you to make a stand by joining us in Charlotte for NPS 2012, where you will have a chance to let your voice be heard.

Many thanks_

The NPS 2012 Planning Team

Thank you, Inkera! We will be there!

Hey Karen!! Good to see / hear from you again!

I, too, was infuriated by Amendment One.  I think it would be GREAT (if it hasn't already been planned out) to have a very public, very loud, very awesome LGBTQI reading. 

karen_g

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/artamokslamteam
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 09:14:26 AM »
Point of Information; I contacted SONG~ Southerners On New Ground about supporting LGBTQI businesses, work, etc. They've been busy with campaigns and other looming issues & my email was forwarded to the leaders of the Freedom Center, which we may want to check out, here's the first response:

The best connection SONG has in the Charlotte area is with the leaders of the Freedom Center for Social Justice.  Bishop Tonyia Rawls and her wife, Gwen, are champions in the fight for social justice and they are dear to the SONG family and our work in NC.  She and her team are included in this responded along with the SONG Team so we are all in the loop about your wonderful support of our work here.  Feel free to touch base with any and/or all of us as you deem appropriate to proceed.
nerak_g