Author Topic: Poetry Slam Dying?  (Read 1070 times)

plunderphonics

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
Poetry Slam Dying?
« on: May 04, 2012, 07:55:53 PM »
According to some of the downers out there, slam poetry is dying out.

http://www.google.com/trends/?q=%22poetry+slam%22&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

According to this chart, it appears as though searches are on average, at a slight but steady increase.  I'm sure there are a million different explanations for this, but thought it would be something interesting for the community to see.

It would be interesting to look at the search spikes in the cities where NPS was located each year.

gjarok

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
Re: Poetry Slam Dying?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 08:50:45 AM »
Not dying - just hungry.   It is an interesting point to try to track interest via web hits.   There is a romantic aspect of having people come off the street and see Slam for the first time; the word-of mouth gestation.   But my romantic could be your antiquated.   What doesn't translate on You-Tube and the visual sites is the interactivity and scene of Slam Poetry.   Not the generic idea of 'come watch me perform' but the crux of Slam 'come HELP me perform. ' The sites that simply explain Poetry Slam in two dimensions also don't do it justice.   The web is limiting for an art form such as this.   You really have to see it to understand it.   We want interest on the net including this page, but I don't know if the internet is an accurate indicator of the growth and sustainability of Slam.

Punky921

• Haiku
    • View Profile
Re: Poetry Slam Dying?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 10:14:51 AM »
Maybe people aren't looking for slams because word of mouth is strong enough that they don't need to google it? Also, even in NYC, a city that's AWESOME for slam, it isn't really the easiest to google your way to events.