Author Topic: An IWPS 2012 Update  (Read 1375 times)

HoustonRH7

• Slammasters
  • Sonnet
    • View Profile
An IWPS 2012 Update
« on: March 22, 2012, 03:45:48 PM »
Greetings, everyone! There has been some talk of folks being uneasy about the lack of an IWPS 2012 update from the host city at WOWPS. Many of the important final details for this years IWPS wonít be falling into place until April. However, we have had a significant amount of people express a desire for an update, and we are happy to oblige. Hereís where we stand now.

1.   We are currently putting the final touches on a funding proposal for the city of Fayetteville Advertising and Promotion Commission, whose sole purpose is to fund events which bring in outside visitors to the city. The proposal covers print ads, television, billboards, and various other advertisements, as well as the cost of our finals venue. We enter this proposal at the end of this month, and we will find out how much of it we receive in May.
2.   Our proposed finals venue is The Fayetteville Town Center, a large convention hall directly across from what we hope will be the host hotel. This venue is controlled by the previously mentioned Advertising and Promotions Commission, which means we may be able to get the venue for free. Because the venue is, in essence, a large empty room with a sound system, we will be setting aside a certain amount of money for the purpose of building or renting a stage to meet our exact specifications. We are also in the process of securing a back-up venue, the Verizon Ballroom at the University of Arkansas.
3.   We have had a meeting with the mayor of Fayetteville, Lioneld Jordan. He is aware of our event, and has pledged his full support to it.
4.   We have narrowed the possible dates down to two: The first or third weekend of October. We would very much like to have the first week, as there are a number of events taking place that week that we have already planned cross-promotions with. This includes the Seedling Film Festival, an independent film festival, and First Thursday Fayetteville, and art walk which happens just outside of our finals venue and host hotel. This is also the week following Bikes, Blues and Barbecue, the Fayetteville motorcycle rally which is second in size only to Sturgis; this would be a huge source of visibility for our ads.
5.   We are in contact with our ideal host hotel, which is located in the town square. Itís only a few blocks from all of our competitions venues and our day and night event locations, and directly across the street from our ideal finals venue.
6.   Our facebook page, facebook.com/IWPS2012 , went up the day after WOWPS. In the coming months we will be using that page to interact with poets and have public questions on certain things, such which open mics folks would like to see. Our full website is also functional, and will be unveiled shortly after we finalize our dates.

We look forward to seeing you all in Fayetteville in October. If you have any questions at all, please feel free to direct them to IWPS2012@gmail.com , to the facebook page, or to us directly.

Heather Polly, Host City Chair
Houston Hughes, Host City Co-Chair, PR and Advertising
Doug Shields, Host City Co-Chair, Volunteer and Personnel Coordinator

inkera

• Executive Council
  • Epic
    • View Profile
    • Slamcharlotte
Re: An IWPS 2012 Update
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 08:40:12 AM »
Thanks for the update.
I love me MORE.......the campaign

James Merenda

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 03:37:16 PM »
Thanks for posting an update. I have two quick questions, logistically, about point #1. I thought I'd post them here so the answers could be seen by all.

1) What, if any, other routes are you exploring as far as reciving funding, should the proposal with the Ad & Promotion Commision garner less than you hope?
2) If you have an idea of it (from conversation with the commision, past organizers experience, etc.) - what is the likelihood (or what sorts of indications have you gotten thus far) about the proposal's chances for success?

Thank you again for keeping us abreast of the developments.

Dahled

• NPS Host City Forum
  • Ballad
    • View Profile
    • Our Myspace
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 04:19:55 PM »
Thanks for the update.

just for informational purposes, so it doesnt look like i'm purposfully stepping on toes later... we're also planning a 16 - 20 team event the first week of October here in the Bay. We're tied to that week because it's Youth Speaks "Life is Living" festival in the park (and not the normal week for iWPS as i recall).

Mind you that's no reason to pass up the weekend that works best, of course, and we'll still send a rep and all that, it's just something we've been planning for a while already.