Thunderclap

Author Topic: 2012 WoW COMPETITOR LIST  (Read 10896 times)

amcehn

• Epic
    • View Profile
2012 WoW COMPETITOR LIST
« on: February 18, 2012, 10:12:13 AM »
1. TBD Last Chance Slam Winner
2. Kait Rokowski Video Slam Winner
3. Kayla Price, Host City Rep
4. Danny Fox-Moles, Beltway Poetry Slam
5. Lisa B, Vancouver Poetry Slam
6. Rachel Wiley, Writing Wrongs Poetry Slam
7. Michelle Nimmo, MO Poetry
8. Queen D, Oakland Poetry Slam
9. Rose Smith, Writerís Block Poetry Slam
10. TBD, Piedmont S.L.A.M
11. Starr, SlamCharlotte
12. Jessica Helen Lopez, ABQ Slams
13. Porsha Olayiwola, Boston Lizard Lounge
14. Kendrea Mekkah, Respect Da Mic
15. Melissa May, Red Dirt Poetry Slam
16. Eboni Hogan, Urbana Poetry Slam
17. Tasha Weatherspoon, Eclectic Truth Poetry Slam
18. Gypsee Yo, Java Monkey Poetry Slam
19. Sarah Herklots, Second Tuesday Slam
20. Amy Everhart, Portland Poetry Slam
21. TBD, Jersey City Slam
22. Rose McAleese, Seattle Poetry Slam
23. Giselle Robinson, Dallas Poetry Slam
24. Ebony Stewart, Austin Neo Soul
25. Natalie Peach, Bama Slam
26. Joanna Hoffman, Louder ARTS
27. Alessandra Storm, Toronto Poetry Slam
28. MaryCae Vigniolini, Loser Slam
29. Jamila Woods, Mental Graffiti
30. Whitney Greenway, Nuyorican Poetry Slam
31. Lacey Roop, Austin Poetry Slam
32. Ariana Weckstein, Berkeley Poetry Slam
33. Hillary Watson, Art Amok
34. Dominique Ashaheed, SlamNuba
35. Syd Malicious, SlamMN
36. Rebeca Mae, Salt Lake City
37. TBD, Sedona Poetry Slam
38. Ellie White, Columbus, OH
39. Phoenix, Hawthorn, NJ
40. Ashley Wylde, Fort Collins, CO
41. elizag, Cohoes, NY
42. Zanne, Portland, ME
43. Louise Robertson, Columbus, OH
44. Godís Daughta Drea G, Los Angeles, CA
45. Theresa Davis, Atlanta, GA
46. Christina Perez, Cotat, CA
47. Cynthia French, Little Falls, MN
48. Rachel McKibbens, Rochester, NY
49. Lauren Zungia, Oklahoma, OK
50. Cecillia Leigh, Laramie, WY
51. Marty McConnell, Chicago, IL
52. Krista Mosca, Nashua, NH
53. Frankie, San Jose, CA
54. Love, Austin, TX
55. Franny Choi, Providence, RI
56. Leah Gould, Fayetteville, AR
57. Deann Emett, Riverton, UT
58. Tova Charles, Houston, TX
59. Angelique Palmer, Manassas, VA
60. Miss Haze Snellville, GA
61. Jerri Hardesty, Montevallo, AL
62. Hasmine Shlafke, Santa Cruz, CA
63. Denice Frohman, Philadelphia, PA
64. Jill Greenseth, Portland, OR
65. Carrie Rudzinski, Rockford, IL
66. Natalie E. Illum, Washington DC
67. Kay Krown, Chicago, IL
68. Kim Johnson, San Francisco, CA
69. Robyn Bateman, Portland OR
70. DEEP, Houston, TX
71. Olivia Gatwood, Albuquerque NM
72. Megan Falley, Valley Stream, NY

WAITING LIST
Lauren Perry
Faylita Hicks
Spark Luv,
Kamone
Lindsay Miller
Sara Brickman
Steph Holombo
Dane Kuttler
Sania
Inky
Tatyana Brown
Katie Wirsing
T. Miller
Jerrica Escoto
Mojdeh
TBD from San Francisco Poetry Slam
Abigail Ehn, Executive Director, PSi
115-1 Rock Ridge Cir
MAFB, ND 58704
(701) 727-6324
psimember@charter.net

dlhoratio

• Limerick
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 WoW COMPETITOR LIST
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 03:39:01 PM »
I see two storms from Portland, and none from Seattle.  Can we talk about what went into this decision?  If Portland and Seattle can be considered equidistant from Denver, shouldn't there fairly be one from each?

(No disrespect to the Portland poets, who all deserve to compete, or to the decision-makers, who surely have been through this many, many, disgruntled times, and should not have to put up with the nonsense of grumpy waitlisters.)

linzm

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/ocotilloslam
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 04:26:31 PM »
I'm interested in the answer as well--I also see two storms from Houston and two from Columbus, and none from the Denver area.  Obviously there's some self-interest motivating this question, but can you tell us why some areas got more storm poets than others?

Thanks!  Looking forward to seeing y'all in a few weeks!

amcehn

• Epic
    • View Profile
Abigail Ehn, Executive Director, PSi
115-1 Rock Ridge Cir
MAFB, ND 58704
(701) 727-6324
psimember@charter.net

suziqsmith

• Epic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 04:52:48 PM »
http://www.poetryslam.com/forum/index.php?topic=7018.0

Probably what you are looking for from the previous thread is Abbey's quote here (just so you don't have to comb through all of it):

Past Champs

Foreign Poets (reps from Canadian venues are not in this category)
We do this so we can have a world event

Distance to event
To make sure we don't have a bunch of poets from the same city applying for the event

Best geographical map
To make sure we have the best representation of styles across the country.

Application answers
We ask:
Previous Competition (from this I see whether or not people have just attended one of our events, if they are new to Slam, if they only participate in one of our events, etc, I can also see how long these applicants have been coming to PSi events)

We ask: Previous Volunteer (from this I see whether or not they are active in our community in any way).

We ask: Brief Bio (from this I can see more about these poets, who they are, why they didn't make a venue or try out for a venue. Whether or not they are/were on tour etc.)

We ask: Other Considerations (from this I can see how venues select their reps-point systems, slam off, etc. I get a lot of information here, that is almost always helpful in determining which poets should belong in our tournament)

linzm

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/ocotilloslam
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 04:53:57 PM »
Quoted from that thread:  "Distance to event
To make sure we don't have a bunch of poets from the same city applying for the event"

This is what I, and I think Dane, would like to have explained further.  I understood this to be a major determining factor, but it does not seem to show in this list--for instance, Columbus has four total representatives, and Arizona as a whole has none.  I understand that there is not a precise methodology, but I don't think it's unreasonable of us to be curious (and I certainly don't think it's surprising that the folks who didn't make it in would like to know why).

I know everybody's busy getting ready for WoW, and I know it's frustrating to have to have this conversation over and over, so I'm sorry for being a pest about it.  But it sucks to not make it into my favorite tournament, and I'm guessing I'm not the only one who would like to have a clearer understanding of how these decisions are being made.  My impression, reading this list, is that some areas have been unfairly favored and some have been unfairly overlooked.  I would really appreciate having an explanation that would ameliorate the perceived unfairness.

Thanks so much!

dlhoratio

• Limerick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 05:41:31 PM »
Lesson to self: next time, list literary accomplishments instead of writing "I like beets" in my bio. 

Sigh.  It's a good lesson - to take everything seriously, be professional, etc.

Several of the people on the waitlist this time have long service records to PSi as slam masters and event volunteers.  How much does that count against geography?

tmiller

• Haiku
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 05:52:07 PM »
Most of these women on the waiting list have represented their cities and "WOW" well in the last four years and I think that we all should be let in.  PSI can gain an extra $3,600 by letting 24 more poets in and that money can be used for the competition or to improve other competitions.  Also, the more poetry the better, why not raise the competition level by letting more fierce performers in? Some of these women have already purchased plane tickets and booked rooms, thinking that they were in, only to find out that they are on a waiting list and that sucks!. . . Do us all a favor PSI, open up the list to 24 more poets and let us all rock out! 

dlhoratio

• Limerick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 06:03:15 PM »
Adding 24 poets to the roster would be a totally unfair burden on the host city and committee because they'd have to find/secure more venues. $3600 is jack squat when throwing an event of this size.  Much as I want us all to be let in, there's a reason we cap wowps and iwps at 72 people.  The cities that take on these events aren't designed or equipped to handle anything much bigger.

jerricaescoto

• Haiku
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 06:25:33 PM »
"Best geographical map
To make sure we have the best representation of styles across the country. "

Completely inaccurate if it is in my personal case.   I am not only representing a certified venue, but THE ONLY POET in Southern California.   There are storm poets who are from all over northern California. . . not representing a venue.   This is not an accurate depiction of California poetry, AT ALL.

Finding and securing venues from JUMP with a pretty good average of how many poets try and compete should be something taken care of DURING the planning stages.   Situations like this need to be prepared for.   Beyond a competition, this is a place for WOMEN and for POETRY.   Throw the logistics out the window.   Don't be a host city if you cannot accommodate all the art that is going to happen and evolve.

tmiller

• Haiku
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 06:30:45 PM »
I don't think that three extra bodies in each venue will cause the host city to have to book more venues, that I don't see happening. . . you have hundreds of poets at Nationals and you have around the same amount of venues booked to hold the poets.  Denver has one of the most growing slam scenes in the world, I'm sure that they can handle 24 more poets and $3,600 doesn't sound like jack squat to me. . . especially when it can be added on to the prize and provide more cash for the women who probably lost or sacrificed so much to attend wowps.   

suziqsmith

• Epic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 06:44:32 PM »
As the Host City Chair, I will simply interject that this decision is not mine to make.  I am sure that Abbey and the EC will keep everyone posted with developments.

Syd Malicious

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 07:45:49 PM »
Yo, I'm researching venues for WOW 2013 in Minneapolis and for the record $3600 is probably not even enough to cover venue costs on such short notice. Make that proposal for the future if you want to see it change.

AmyD

• Ballad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 10:32:24 PM »
"Best geographical map
To make sure we have the best representation of styles across the country. "

Completely inaccurate if it is in my personal case.   I am not only representing a certified venue, but THE ONLY POET in Southern California.   There are storm poets who are from all over northern California. . . not representing a venue.   This is not an accurate depiction of California poetry, AT ALL.

Finding and securing venues from JUMP with a pretty good average of how many poets try and compete should be something taken care of DURING the planning stages.   Situations like this need to be prepared for.   Beyond a competition, this is a place for WOMEN and for POETRY.   Throw the logistics out the window.   Don't be a host city if you cannot accommodate all the art that is going to happen and evolve.

If you are a venue rep, and you've been waitlisted, your SM did not register in time.

DGarity

• Limerick
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 02:37:40 PM »
This is another reason that an objective, transparent, replicable process for picking the storm poets would be to everyone's benefit, and should be a priority for these individual events going forward.

@T Miller: The fact that the number of poets interested in competing at IWPS and WOWPS is now regularly and substantially exceeding the limit is definitely something that should be considered and planned for going forward. That said, though you're right that more poets could just be added to each venue, a prelims bout with 15 poets  is a completely different competition than with 12 poets , and one that the current format doesn't really support. Issues of score creep, luck, etc. all get exponentially compounded the more poets you add to an indie bout, and that seems like an unfair change to spring on all of the competitors a couple of weeks before the event.