Thunderclap

Author Topic: Brother Said: Candidate For EC  (Read 1028 times)

Bro.Said

• Ballad
    • View Profile
    • Houston Poetry Slam
Brother Said: Candidate For EC
« on: February 18, 2012, 09:57:50 AM »
Before we get to my agenda here are my endorsements for other EC members:

Inkera: vote for her because she has the experience and dedication. She is also thoughtful, caring, and wise. She's the one you want in the front seat of the car when the kids are in the back seat acting crazy.

Dahled Jeffries: vote for him because he would be a fresh addition to the EC. We need more new blood with vision on the EC. He's a little overly sensitive, but he's got fresh ideas and he's ALWAYS on the forums.

Alvin Lau: vote for him because he would be a fresh addition to the EC. We need new blood with vision on the EC. He's a little too analytical and too competitive, so he will be challenged to make his exhaustive analyses clear for the "C" students. If he's willing to accept the EC as a service to the community and not a competition - he'll be fine.

Syd Mallicious: a little too new, but another numbers cruncher and we need a numbers cruncher on the EC. Another "A" student like Alvin, so you have to be willing to get her to break her smarts down so we can understand it.

Those are my endorsements for now. I'll update later with additions or subtractions if the need arises. The EC is a service job. People who get authority often lose sight of the fact they have authority for service. It's up to us to keep them honest.

I hereby announce my candidacy for membership on the EC. I've been Slammaster of Houston Poetry Slam for seven years, and the Founding Director and board member of our non-profit Wrighters Ink for seven years. I've been a member of PSI since 2005. I've attended most Slam Master meetings, and if you do a forum search and read my postings - you'll notice that I'm one of the most despised and respected Slam Masters of PSI. So think about that before you vote for me. People often react negatively to me, and that's their right, and that's life, and I'm still living. If you're conflicted about whether to vote for me or someone else, vote for someone else. I view membership on the EC as a service position. If you think I can represent your interest as a member of the EC, then vote for me.  I will serve you well.

Now on to questions posted by the Slam Master from Denver:

1. "The mission of Poetry Slam Incorporated (PSI) is to promote the performance and creation of poetry while cultivating literary activities and spoken word events in order to build audience participation, stimulate creativity, awaken minds, foster education, inspire mentoring, encourage artistic statement and engage communities worldwide in the revelry of language."

How do you plan to help this organization grow and accomplish this mission?  Please be specific.

If elected I plan on promoting efforts to market PSI and it's mission. We need a marketing budget and a marketing plan. We need to follow our bylaws and encourage and empower the Slam Masters Council to elect their own chairman and form their own committees. A marketing committee would be  a good place to start.

2. What experience do you have with non-profit organizations - as an employee, as a volunteer, as a board member?  I am especially interested in hearing about experience working with non-profit ARTS organizations, but I do think that all of your professional experience is relevant.

I've founded a non-profit. I wrote the Articles of Incorporation, and the bylaws. I've run board meetings. I've obtained a $5000 dollar grant locally which involved presenting an artist statement, presenting a proposed budget, and accounting for expenditures at the end of the granting period.

3. How many hours a week do you have available to dedicate to PSI?  And what is your typical availability (days/evenings/weekends)?   

At least 4 hours a week typically. More if and when a specific need arises.

4.  What would you most like to see changed about PSI?  What would you most like to see preserved?

We need to actually enforce the governance system embodied in our bylaws. According to our bylaws, The EC and the Slam Masters Council are two separate bodies. Executive authority is vested in the EC, but it's so that the EC can report to the Slam Masters Council - not run the Slam Master Council meetings. The Slam Master's Council has limited oversight authority over the EC.
(the most important oversight authority being WE vote for who gets on the EC).

I would like most to see The Slam Masters Council with it's own chairman, it's own secretary, and it's own committees like our bylaws say. If we do what our bylaws say the EC wouldn't be so overwhelmed, burnt out, and frustrated.

If we're not going to follow our bylaws, then we need to revise our bylaws to give full executive authority of PSI to the EC.

I won't be in Denver for the Spring Meeting. My proxy will give you my final statement if any is necessary.
Brother Said
Houston Slam Master

Bro.Said

• Ballad
    • View Profile
    • Houston Poetry Slam
Re: Brother Said: Candidate For EC
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 10:22:35 AM »
Here's a question from Scott Woods:

5. Do you believe that the concept of legacy is important to PSi? If not, why not? If so, how would you see that manifested?

We must preserve that which is good about PSI: certain traditions, customs, and history. We have a tradition of the EC basically not getting involved in local deputes - and that's cool. We also have a tradition of the EC micro-managing the Slam Masters Council. That has tended to stunt the growth we claim we want.

PSI has clearly grown and adapted with the times. We must improve what hasn't been working, things that are actually going to make the organization grow. With growth (the addition of new members) comes new ideas, new vision - some of which should rightly be rejected as not in keeping with the greater good of our community. But we need to be open to the opportunities that growth presents as well.
Brother Said
Houston Slam Master

Bro.Said

• Ballad
    • View Profile
    • Houston Poetry Slam
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 10:52:55 AM »
ENDORSEMENT

Sam Costello vote for this guy not simply because he gets a lot of praise from existing EC members - and that's important to know that present EC members praise his work. Vote for him because his resume is impeccable and he's already improved the EC. He's got the EC to get a Finance Committee up and running - although I think it should include one or two people from the Slam Masters Council.
Brother Said
Houston Slam Master

jesster

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Jesse Parent
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 01:24:57 PM »
About damn time

-Jesse