Author Topic: 2012 Women of the World Information  (Read 7662 times)

amcehn

• Epic
    • View Profile
2012 Women of the World Information
« on: December 16, 2011, 11:58:27 AM »
Dear Poets,
We are just three months away from the opening of the Women of the World Poetry Slam in Denver, Colorado!
We are so excited about our trip to the Rockies and can’t wait to see you all there.
In the meantime, here is some important information about WoWPS that we’re sure you’re all dying to know:

OFFICIAL WEBSITE:
Set to launch on December 17th

http://wow.poetryslam.com

Bookmark this page, a lot of information will be added to it in the next three months.

TOURNAMENT DATES:
The Women of the World Poetry Slam will be held March 7-10 2012.

Registration for WoWPS will begin on January 9th. This Registration is for CERTIFIED SLAMS ONLY. You will not be able to register for WoWPS at this time if you are only a Registered Slam or hoping to compete as a Storm Poet.

Registration will be $150 and each person registered MUST be a current member of PSi. Memberships can be purchased for $20.

If you are a REGISTERED SLAM or hoping to be a STORM POET, you will be able to register on February 3rd.

In order to register, you’ll need to go to www.poetryslam.com then the STORE, then EVENT REGISTRATION. You MUST fill out the application completely. This is an application process. We use this information to determine who gets into the tournament. Please take it seriously.

Registration will close on February 17th and a list with the names of poets competing in the tournament will be released on the 18th of February. This list will be available on the Official WoWPS website, Facebook and in the General Information tab in the PSi forums on the PSi website.

If for any reason, you need to drop out of the tournament, you must notify Abigail Ehn, the Executive Director and you must do it by February 17th for a partial refund. After that date, you will not get a refund on your registration fee.

BRENDA MOOSEY VIDEO SLAM
This year we will be running an online video slam competition. Poets who live their life as a woman can submit a video that will be placed on poetryslam.com for a chance to win a free slot into the tournament.

Submissions will begin on December 26, 2011 and can be submitted anytime until January 16, 2012. The poem/poet with the most votes (voting will be allowed once per day) by the end of the day on the 16th of January will be declared the winner and will earn their free slot in the tournament.

Please stay tuned to the poetryslam.com website and our Facebook Page (Poetry Slam, inc) for information on how to submit a video.

HOTEL
Our Host hotel will be the Comfort Inn in Downtown Denver. You can call:
(303) 296-0400 or (800) 237-7431 to make a reservation. You will need to ask for the rooming block for the PSi Women of the World Poetry Slam. Rates are $115 per night and this fee includes a complimentary Full American Breakfast and internet access in all guest rooms.

Please make sure you reserve a room by the 13th of February. We have until the 17th to make reservations in this block, but this is a busy time and there will be a lot of people trying to get into this hotel.
Every thing for this event will be close to this hotel, you won’t want to stay too far out of this area.

MEETINGS
WoWPS is home to the Spring SlamMaster meeting. This meeting is MANDATORY for SlamMasters to attend if you are interested in sending a team to Nationals.

The SM meeting will be held on Saturday, March 10, 2012 at 10 AM. The meeting is scheduled until 2 PM.
There will be a SlamFamily meeting (all members welcome) before that at 9 AM.

IMPORTANT TIMES:
Registration (onsite) will be at the host hotel and begins on Wednesday, March 7, 2012 from 4-7 PM.

There will be a secondary Registration time on Thursday, March 8, 2012 from 8:30-11:30 AM.

All contestants MUST COME to one of these times. Failure to do so, will result in a drop in the tournament and poets will be replaced by those on the waiting list.

There is a MANDATORY Orientation that all poets must attend. This will be on Thursday, March 8, 2012 from 12:30-1:30. Failure to attend will result in disqualification from the tournament.

The Last Chance Slam will be on Wednesday, March 7, 2012 at 8 PM. This is run by the Host City and you’ll need to contact the HC for information.

CONTACT US:
The WoWPS website has contact information on it, but if you have questions contact one of these people:

HOST CITY QUESTIONS:
(Where things are located, how to get from the airport to the hotel, Last Chance Slam, etc)
Contact the Host City Chair: Suzi Q. Smith at: suzqsmith7@gmail.com

EVENT QUESTIONS:
(How to register, how to qualify, how to donate or volunteer)
Contact the Event Coordinator: LaShaun phoenix Kotaran at: shaunnie@umich.edu

REGSITRATION QUESTIONS:
(Am I registered?, how to become a member?, Video Slam questions, SlamMaster Meeting questions, questions about this document or other official PSi documents)
Contact the Executive Director: Abigail Ehn at psimember@charter.net

TOURNAMENT QUESTIONS:
(Poem time frames, bout draw, MC or Bout Managing)
Contact the Tournament Director: Seth White at: sethpoet1@gmail.com
Abigail Ehn, Executive Director, PSi
115-1 Rock Ridge Cir
MAFB, ND 58704
(701) 727-6324
psimember@charter.net

Sean Mulroy

• Awards Committee
  • Limerick
    • View Profile
    • The Vanishing Man
Re: 2012 Women of the World Information
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 11:52:49 AM »
I'm having difficulty with the webpage, has it been launched yet?  I want to link to it on my website.

S.
Sean Patrick Mulroy

suziqsmith

• Epic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 06:39:39 PM »
What kind of difficulty are you having?  It has launched . . . http://wow.poetryslam.com

jesster

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Jesse Parent
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 08:55:10 PM »
I'm having difficulty with the webpage, has it been launched yet?  I want to link to it on my website.

S.

See also:
http://wow.poetryslam.com/women-of-the-world-poetry-slam-2012-denver-co/

-Jesse

Detroitphoenix

• Epic
  • The biggest boss that you've seen thus far.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/lashaunphoenixmoore
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 11:59:46 PM »
Please also use:  powerfulblackwoman19@gmail.com as opposed to shaunnie@umich.edu (that's my work email and I'm switching jobs).
"Some people would rather lose their lives than lose freedom." ~Black Thought - The ROOTS

amcehn

• Epic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 11:54:37 AM »
Also, if you want to try and earn a free slot to WoWPS, you should go to the PSi website and enter the Brenda Moosey Video Slam!
115-1 Rock Ridge Cir
MAFB, ND 58704
(701) 727-6324
psimember@charter.net

Tony

• Limerick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 02:00:28 PM »
A request:  can someone PLEASE change the name of the video slam to reflect the correct spelling of Brenda MOOSSY's name?  I think it's terrific that she is being honored this way; I think it's important to spell her name correctly.

edaniel

• Slammasters
  • Epic
    • View Profile
    • PSi
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 11:01:05 AM »
I am really embarrassed. That was my spelling error, and I am mortified by it. I apologize.

Its fixed on www.poetryslam.com. Perhaps Abby can update the Facebook callouts.

-Erik

A request:  can someone PLEASE change the name of the video slam to reflect the correct spelling of Brenda MOOSSY's name?  I think it's terrific that she is being honored this way; I think it's important to spell her name correctly.

amcehn

• Epic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 11:41:39 AM »
Will do.
115-1 Rock Ridge Cir
MAFB, ND 58704
(701) 727-6324
psimember@charter.net

Tony

• Limerick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 12:06:13 AM »
No worries...stuff happens.  Thanks.

The_Klute

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 12:56:28 PM »
Where is the registration page for WoWps?

I checked Event Registration, PSI signup, and under WoWps and iWPS products. 

Not finding it.
"Quiet, GIR! Do you want to wake up the whole planet?" - Zim

"I do." - GIR

amcehn

• Epic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 12:58:52 PM »
Because it's not up yet. With our site being hacked, with our Store person out of town, and some other "stuff" it has not gone live.

I'll post on FB and in the forums when registration goes live. It will be today, but maybe not until later.
115-1 Rock Ridge Cir
MAFB, ND 58704
(701) 727-6324
psimember@charter.net

bobdapoet

• Ballad
    • View Profile
    • Anthology, inc.
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 09:42:45 AM »
Suzi... Who would be the best person to contact about poet bags, and including stuff in them?

suziqsmith

• Epic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 11:09:11 AM »
That would be me.

DaveSilverberg

• Limerick
    • View Profile
    • http://www.torontopoetryslam.com
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 11:21:18 AM »
We'd like to register but won't know our poet coming to WoW until Feb. 1. How did we register in the meantime to ensure a spot?
Toronto Poetry Slam
www.torontopoetryslam.com
@TOpoetryslam