Author Topic: Overall Rank of NPS Teams?  (Read 1942 times)

sarahdlawson

• Haiku
    • View Profile
Overall Rank of NPS Teams?
« on: September 19, 2011, 10:47:55 PM »
Hello wonderful world of PSI--- I know we are all in full IWPS mode, so I apologize for reverting back to NPS.  Shortly after Boston/ Camb, I had a conversation with one of the organizers about how helpful it would be to have a full rank of all the teams from the competition.  Before I go in to the reasons why I think this number would be incredibly useful for the sustainability of my scene and the poets in it, I am wondering if this did happen and I missed it? Is this a discussion every year (pretty green still!)?

Sarah L.
Beltway

jesster

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Jesse Parent
Re: Overall Rank of NPS Teams?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 12:57:14 AM »
It is right here: http://my.nationalpoetryslam.com/scorecreep/nps2011/scores

The exception to this ranking is the top 4 that made it to finals. They are ranked in the order they finished at finals.

-Jesse

sarahdlawson

• Haiku
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 08:03:37 AM »
Jesse--- Thanks so much, but this doesn't seem to factor in the scores after semis.  Does that exist anywhere?

Syd Malicious

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 08:55:11 AM »
There aren't really ranks after semis. Winner from each bout makes finals.

inkera

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Slamcharlotte
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 09:05:34 AM »
Jesse--- Thanks so much, but this doesn't seem to factor in the scores after semis.  Does that exist anywhere?

http://my.nationalpoetryslam.com/tournament/nps2011
I love me MORE.......the campaign

sarahdlawson

• Haiku
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 09:07:08 AM »
Thank you Syd:) I was trying to be brief in my original post, but perhaps I wasn't being clear enough.  We took 2nd at our semi-finals bout, putting us (I guess?) somewhere in the top 10 teams.  As I work on marketing, grants and donations, and as team members are booking their own shows, we've find that the actual rank would be really helpful to us.  I am surprised if no one else things that a rank of the top 20 teams would be a good thing?

Thanks again!

sarahdlawson

• Haiku
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 09:12:26 AM »
Sorry--- replied before I saw Inkera's response.  Inkera, thanks so much!! I'm still surprised there isnt a list based on actual scores and not just where the teams placed at semis.  If no one else cares, I will certainly drop it.  Ya'll have enough on your plates.

Steve

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • The Wordsmith Press
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 09:13:52 AM »
Those rankings, as I have said for a long time, are very arbitrary. Yes, you could break them numerically, but that's kind of arbitrary too (especially if you are following the seeding threads). My recommendation is that if you finished 2nd in your semi is that you bill yourselves as tied for 6th. That is just as true as saying you finished 8th or 10th.

jesster

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Jesse Parent
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 10:50:05 AM »

http://my.nationalpoetryslam.com/tournament/nps2011

Wow! I had no idea!

That just made my day...

-Jesse

jesster

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Jesse Parent
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 10:59:58 AM »
Sorry--- replied before I saw Inkera's response.  Inkera, thanks so much!! I'm still surprised there isnt a list based on actual scores and not just where the teams placed at semis.  If no one else cares, I will certainly drop it.  Ya'll have enough on your plates.

That's because there is no tie breaking in semis. It serves no purpose for the tournament and scores in one bout can be different in another (that's why we went to relative strength in prelims).

This means your team officially finished in 5th place. That should make your grant application very attractive to say top 5 instead of top 10.

-Jesse

plunderphonics

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 12:44:24 PM »
OK..

so now..

How would we factor in Group Piece Finals, if it would even be possbile?

And now you are entering a seriously arbritrary zone.

jesster

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Jesse Parent
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 12:54:11 PM »
OK..

so now..

How would we factor in Group Piece Finals, if it would even be possbile?

And now you are entering a seriously arbritrary zone.

You don't. It's a separate ranking. Just like when Indies was a part of NPS, group piece ranking has no bearing on team ranking.

But it might in seeding... ;)

-Jesse