Author Topic: Storm Poet Policy For IWPS and WOWps  (Read 4647 times)

BrianOmniDillon

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • May.
Storm Poet Policy For IWPS and WOWps
« on: August 23, 2011, 05:45:57 PM »
okay

ive asked this question many times, and have gotten many answers. I attempted to devote time today to forum-archaeology so as not to commit the sin of cluttery. However i was met with little in terms of answers. The forums are a gorgeous source of history and information - if you know exactly where to look and you have better luck than i with this 'search' function. all that being said, i apologize if this has been answered elsewhere.

(this will be reposted to the SM forums)

SO:

how on earth does psi decide who is in/out as a storm poem for IWPS/WOWPS?

Things ive heard:

1) First come first serve: registration opens at midnight on the chosen date, then the first 20 or so folks to fill out the form and pay in the middle of the night are the ones who get in...?

2) PSI hand-pick them. This seems unlikely, and a bit too Darth Sidious for me...?

3) Poets are given priority on their distance from the host city. Like. if iwps is in New Jersey, i being a New Yorker have no chance of getting in as a storm...?

I would really love to have a better understanding of how this works, as it's a pretty integral part of how both tournaments are organized and managed. And if im a good example, we lack a solid resource for this information somewhere on the interwebz

Allow me to apologize in advance when sixteen of you link me to something obvious and blatant which I missed.

lo the goddamn leaves.

inkera

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Slamcharlotte
Re: Storm Poet Policy For IWPS and WOWps
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 06:07:49 PM »
 Who can compete in iWPS?
For the first two months of registration (Dates TBA) sixty slots are reserved for individual representatives of certified PSI venues. Those are available on a first come, first served basis and only the SlamMaster may register the individual representative for his or her slam. The other twelve slots are available to any member of PSI who doesn't have regular access to a local slam, with preference given to those who live the farthest away from the site of the event and those living outside the host nation. After the venue registration period, if there are still slots available, they are open to all members of PSI, regardless of location or venue representation on a first come, first served basis.

Same applies for WOWps
I love me MORE.......the campaign

AmyD

• Ballad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 07:09:57 PM »
Here's a thread I started on this a while back:

http://www.poetryslam.com/forum/index.php?topic=5588.0

AmyD

• Ballad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 07:49:42 PM »
Is a poet's distance from a certified venue determined by their current living situation, or where they were living when qualifiers happened? For example: I just moved to Bloomington, Indiana, where I am about an hour away from a venue. However, when IWPS slots were actually determined, I lived in Manhattan, Kansas, where I was over three hours from a venue. Does PSI take this into consideration?

I don't know, but this is NOT how it has been done in the past. For Berkeley, there were quite a few poets on the list who lived very close to (and in at least one case, ran) a certified venue.

BrianOmniDillon

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • May.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 08:40:17 PM »
Then i would assume that suggests what i see as a perfectly reasonable possibility...that there just werent many people who HAVE local venues signign up to be storms. so psi went to whoever else was signing up. look at the 2010 iwps storms. i can only count one person i dont know, and who might not have a venue. and three of the storms in the tournament were NC locals to an iwps held in charlotte. if those called were made pre-moving-from-philly. i also see more than one storm who could claim philly roots. i think there just arent that many folks without venues signing up, and thats hopefully why so many venue regulars get in. theres also the issue of...are we really checking where people live? for instance, poets who claim to live out of the country, but might, actually spend most of their year in the states. i dont really care. im just tossing out complications, cus im a dick.

i kinda wanna say i think if you compete in a qualifier(s) and dont win that spot(s), you shouldnt be able to storm. but who the hell cares what i think.
lo the goddamn leaves.

BrianOmniDillon

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • May.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 08:50:11 PM »
also i recognize that last sentence is an entirely different issue. sowwy.

im more concerned with just sorting out exactly how its done now (as in, after only one person who claims not to have a venue to slam for signs up, and then the two people who dont live on this continent have all got their spots...does it then become first come/first serve....in theory)

lo the goddamn leaves.

BrianOmniDillon

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • May.
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 08:52:22 PM »
and mike, wasnt Auntie May's Home Cooked Poetry Kitchen (or whatever that awesome name was), a psi certified venue at some juncture? despite never having sent a team?
lo the goddamn leaves.

Michael Mlekoday

• Limerick
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/mlekoday
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 10:22:43 PM »
and mike, wasnt Auntie May's Home Cooked Poetry Kitchen (or whatever that awesome name was), a psi certified venue at some juncture? despite never having sent a team?

lol, dude, I wish you were around when we were naming our show. But no, we never got registered/certified--and we actually only had like 4 slams, mostly just open mics.

inkera

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Slamcharlotte
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 10:31:12 PM »
@Amy Storms have been done that way for numerous years. Keep in mind that Berkeley ended up having more then 72 poets so yes there were a number of storms in the competition.

You can't honestly say how the list was done without knowledge of when poets were added and who made the original storm list.

BrianOmniDillon

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • May.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 10:48:33 PM »
Inkera makes another great point. We only see the end results, not the whole slog of work before. So whose to say who came first, the Mali or the egg. :)

I def think relying on distance from certified venues is an impractical and argument-worthy way of handling it (honor system?).... But that's not what this thread is for. I'm sure there's a meeting in the future where that'll see the bright light of day.

Cheers to late night slam forum chatter! Night y'all!
lo the goddamn leaves.

randomcelestial

• Rules Rewrite Committee
  • Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 08:40:54 AM »
@Amy Storms have been done that way for numerous years. Keep in mind that Berkeley ended up having more then 72 poets so yes there were a number of storms in the competition.

You can't honestly say how the list was done without knowledge of when poets were added and who made the original storm list.

This is certainly wrong: I was wait-listed for Berkeley without access to a local slam, and there were NUMEROUS people above me who had lost local qualifiers. At the time, when Amy and I were asking about the process for selecting poets, Steve Marsh gave a very different answer than what you are telling us now, Inkera. As I recall, there was no priority for poets without access to a local slam, but they were chosen by geographic distribution and how fast they mashed SEND on registration day.

inkera

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Slamcharlotte
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 09:22:15 AM »

This is certainly wrong: I was wait-listed for Berkeley without access to a local slam, and there were NUMEROUS people above me who had lost local qualifiers. At the time, when Amy and I were asking about the process for selecting poets, Steve Marsh gave a very different answer than what you are telling us now, Inkera. As I recall, there was no priority for poets without access to a local slam, but they were chosen by geographic distribution and how fast they mashed SEND on registration day.

Who can compete in iWPS?
For the first two months of registration (Dates TBA) sixty slots are reserved for individual representatives of certified PSI venues. Those are available on a first come, first served basis and only the SlamMaster may register the individual representative for his or her slam. The other twelve slots are available to any member of PSI who doesn't have regular access to a local slam, with preference given to those who live the farthest away from the site of the event and those living outside the host nation. After the venue registration period, if there are still slots available, they are open to all members of PSI, regardless of location or venue representation on a first come, first served basis.

Same applies for WOWps

randomcelestial

• Rules Rewrite Committee
  • Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 12:29:20 PM »

AmyD

• Ballad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 01:25:17 PM »

Who can compete in iWPS?

Same applies for WOWps

In order to make this determination, though, there would have to be some sort of deadline for Storms. Is it the person living farthest away who registers on the first day? Or the person living farthest away who registers in the first week? Or what?

inkera

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Slamcharlotte
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
There is a deadline..........it is the day that registration opens to everyone (if there are slots remaining).

The storms are prioritized as they are received.

If there are slots remaining and registration opens to everyone, storms are accepted first come first served.