Thunderclap

Author Topic: IWPS 2011 Questions  (Read 11224 times)

Faylita H

• Haiku
    • View Profile
IWPS 2011 Questions
« on: August 20, 2011, 12:34:54 PM »
Anyone with the incredible insiders look can answer--->

Just super curious about IWPS registration dates for certified venues and storm poets, the number of slots available and host hotel/location and all that jazz.

Love you all!

inkera

• Executive Council
  • Epic
    • View Profile
    • Slamcharlotte
Re: IWPS 2011 Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 03:41:38 PM »
Registration opens 31 Aug. for certified venues
I love me MORE.......the campaign

BrianOmniDillon

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • May.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 02:29:19 PM »
The website still shows year-old info? I feel like we are behind on the specifics? the item was crossed off the SM agenda? Can we get some form of update as we are like six-seven weeks away?
lo the goddamn leaves.

DGarity

• Limerick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 03:30:06 PM »
Echoing Omni: a) what's going on with this website? and b) Is there a group discount for the hotel? Right now it is impossible to book rooms online for those dates, though I haven't tried by phone.

suziqsmith

• Epic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 04:04:49 PM »
When does registration open for storm poets?

jesster

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Jesse Parent
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 04:05:29 PM »
Should we book our hotel rooms directly or through the PSi store?

-Jesster

inkera

• Executive Council
  • Epic
    • View Profile
    • Slamcharlotte
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 05:52:46 PM »
Registration for certified venues is open for 2 months, then it opens up for storms poets.

The web designer is working on getting the site up-dated.

Hotel reservations should be made directly through the hotel.
*If you make reservations on-line, you will not receive the discount*
 Hotel Section:
Wyndham Cleveland at Playhouse Square
1260 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44115
216-615-7500
www.wyndhamcleveland.com
When making reservations, be sure to request the "World Poetry Slam Room Block" or the "World Poetry Slam with Breakfast."

If you have specific questions, you can ask them here and we will get them answered.

BrianOmniDillon

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • May.
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 05:59:44 PM »
hi inkera.

two months cant be possible, right?

cus then the storm poets would be registering three weeks after finals. :)

is that two weeks then?

just wanna be sure of the storm poet date, because as many of us have no idea how psi picks the storms, its important to have that date absolutely nailed down.

thanks for answering questions which im sure youve already answered. xoxo
lo the goddamn leaves.

jesster

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Jesse Parent
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 06:07:23 PM »
When making reservations, be sure to request the "World Poetry Slam Room Block" or the "World Poetry Slam with Breakfast."

If you have specific questions, you can ask them here and we will get them answered.

If I choose "World Poetry Slam with Breakfast," will you feed me if I point at my mouth? ;)

-Jesster

inkera

• Executive Council
  • Epic
    • View Profile
    • Slamcharlotte
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 06:17:32 PM »
@Jesse My pleasure

@Omni HA!!  ;D  Let me correct my error. There are 12 storm slots. They can be sent in the day regisatration opens (31 Aug). They are held to determine which 12 will be accepted based on distance from a certied venue & out of the country poets.

Registration opens for everyone after 45 days. (The FAQ says 60 days but I'm sure its 45 days) Keep in mind registration is opening late this year.

randomcelestial

• Rules Rewrite Committee
  • Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 08:53:30 AM »
@Inkera:

If you wouldn't mind, could we see the exact wording / rule for storm poet acceptance? Clearly, this isn't transparent a lot of people this pertains to. In this post, you say priority goes to people farthest from local slams, and in another post you say it goes to players without access to a slam. Those are very different things, and I'd love to have some clarification on it.

inkera

• Executive Council
  • Epic
    • View Profile
    • Slamcharlotte
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 09:22:50 AM »
@Inkera:

If you wouldn't mind, could we see the exact wording / rule for storm poet acceptance? Clearly, this isn't transparent a lot of people this pertains to. In this post, you say priority goes to people farthest from local slams, and in another post you say it goes to players without access to a slam. Those are very different things, and I'd love to have some clarification on it.

Who can compete in iWPS?
For the first two months of registration (Dates TBA) sixty slots are reserved for individual representatives of certified PSI venues. Those are available on a first come, first served basis and only the SlamMaster may register the individual representative for his or her slam. The other twelve slots are available to any member of PSI who doesn't have regular access to a local slam, with preference given to those who live the farthest away from the site of the event and those living outside the host nation. After the venue registration period, if there are still slots available, they are open to all members of PSI, regardless of location or venue representation on a first come, first served basis.

Same applies for WOWps

randomcelestial

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 11:56:17 AM »
Inkera:

Can you please define what a poet is without access to their local slam?

If multiple poets do not have access, is priority then given by distance? If multiple poets from the same city without access register, is preference given to distance from their house address to Cleveland, or is it then settled by order received?

The thing is, you're saying this is how it's been for years, but this is clearly not the case, as in Berkeley MANY poets who slammed and lost their local qualifiers (or didn't even make their iWPS final) were given priority over poets without access to a venue.

Also, can someone please explain to me the logic behind "distance from host city?" Why does someone from Los Angeles get priority over someone from Denver or New York? It this rule designed to keep a huge rush of local storm poets from signing up (which happens anyway)? This rule just seems completely arbitrary and nonsensical.

randomcelestial

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 12:25:41 PM »
if you register on August 31st, and a venue later decides to add a qualifier (which may be the case in this city), does that diminish your priority?

inkera

• Executive Council
  • Epic
    • View Profile
    • Slamcharlotte
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 03:14:47 PM »
@Alvin You keep asking the same question(s) in a different manner:
Storm poets are prioritized in this manner:
Out of the  country
Distance from host city
Access to local slam on a regular basis

Please stop saying it wasn't done a particular way in previous years. You don't know how it was done unless you were the one processing the applications.  You perceive it to be done a certain way.

Hope this helps. If it doesn't I don't know what to tell you at this point.

Word of advice~If you don't like the way storms are prioritized, offer suggestions instead of criticizing the process.