Thunderclap

Author Topic: NPS 2011: Poets to be remembered  (Read 10033 times)

Scott Woods

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.scottwoodswrites.net
Re: NPS 2011: Poets to be remembered
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »
Dan,

You actually prove my point. This is the kind of distinction we would need to decide on. It's hard to have this discussion without leaving someone out, but that doesn't mean we should change the scope of the discussion. it means some people are going to get left out because they weren't actually part of the national Slam community that comprises our events.

It's a tough call, but not unfair I think, to honor those who actually participated in the events at the events.

simone

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Boston Poetry Slam
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 07:41:57 AM »
I agree that this is a hard call to make, especially given the short amount of time we have before NPS. I am going to stick with my original plan for 2011 Finals, which will be people who competed at NPS and people who personally touched the lives of many there. I know this may seem arbitrary, but I do have to draw the line somewhere and we only have a few weeks to do so.

Please keep this discussion going for 2012.
Simone Beaubien
SlamMaster, Boston Poetry Slam

Scott Woods

• Epic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 10:24:11 AM »

However, in your proposal:
to - INITIALLY - "cap" any remembrances to "person who competed at a PSi event." 
... plus the staff/former staff of PSI or NPS...

...it would in fact exclude Shelia from receiving a special remembrance, since she never competed at NPS, nor worked directly on the staff (as far as I know... unless she was involved in 06/07?).  From my perspective, this seems like an unfair distinction. 

To add: What exactly is unfair about that distinction?

If Marc Smith dies, will he get a shout-out at the Dodge Poetry Festival? No. Why? Because as far as I know he never did anything with the Dodge Poetry Festival. And even though Marc Smith is very important in the world of poetry, it's not the Dodge Foundation's obligation to honor him or any other dead poet/organizer/volunteer that didn't have anything to do with the Dodge Poetry Festival. That's not unfair.

Henry Sampson has never read a poem on a PSi stage. Heaven forbid something happen to Henry, but if he died, should his honor by any different than Blair's or Will's? No. Should his honor be different than Sheila's? Absolutely. That's not unfair.

What does unfair mean?

jesster

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Jesse Parent
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 11:28:29 AM »
Last year, we voted to just have a moment of silence on finals stage for all those we'd lost. Perhaps it should just stay that "generic" to avoid missing anyone.

-Jesse

inkera

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Slamcharlotte
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 11:44:18 AM »
Jesse_I totally agree.

I love me MORE.......the campaign

rachel_mckibbens

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • Rachel McKibbens
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 04:39:07 PM »
Generic moments of silence feel worse to me than doing nothing.

Can we stick with PSI members & staff?
"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."

One Hundred Years of Solitude, Gabriel García Márquez

simone

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Boston Poetry Slam
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 06:26:42 PM »
Folks, this is the list of names I will hand to whomever is hosting the moment of silence on Finals stage at NPS 2011:

* Sheila Siobhan
* Will Da Real One Bell
* Cheryl B(urke)
* Kent Foreman
* Maria McCray
* Michael Birkinshaw
* Melissa Heagerty

And, heaven help me, David Blair.

Anyone with further names to nominate may email the name and a short explanation of their connection with the slam community to director@nps2011.com.

I believe this conversation is useful and important, but I am personally not in a good place to debate constructively on this particular matter at the moment. Sorry, guys.
Simone Beaubien
SlamMaster, Boston Poetry Slam

Dahled

• NPS Host City Forum
  • Ballad
    • View Profile
    • Our Myspace
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2011, 06:53:04 PM »
I agree that this is a hard call to make, especially given the short amount of time we have before NPS. I am going to stick with my original plan for 2011 Finals, which will be people who competed at NPS and people who personally touched the lives of many there. I know this may seem arbitrary, but I do have to draw the line somewhere and we only have a few weeks to do so.

Please keep this discussion going for 2012.

Melissa Heagerty absolutely "touched the lives" of the Bay Area contingent... is that 5 teams / 30 or so folks enough to qualify as "many there"?

Dahled

• NPS Host City Forum
  • Ballad
    • View Profile
    • Our Myspace
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2011, 07:14:25 PM »
Doh! I didn't see what you said there Simone - my question was answered before it was asked.

rachel_mckibbens

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • Rachel McKibbens
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 07:14:37 PM »
Melissa would show up at random readings throughout the country; at little hole-in-the-wall readings of mine, in the front row, smiling and listening. She touched a lot of us. I adore her and mourn her death. But I understand the need to curb the list.  

I grew up going to a movie twice a week and watching the Oscars, and every year, I looked forward to the moment when the lights went down and they showed photos and/or clips of the people in the industry who had passed. It was a great way to memorialize them. When I die, I don't expect them to put me in the montage, even though I have always supported the scene.

Producers, choreographers, writers, directors, actors, stunt doubles...anyone with a SAG card gets recognition, which is why I offered up keeping the list to those who are PSI members (although I should have specified - past and present PSI members.) Finals are a PSI event, period. We can't recognize every audience member, entourage, boyfriends, mothers, etc. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."

One Hundred Years of Solitude, Gabriel García Márquez

Scott Woods

• Epic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2011, 07:29:36 PM »
Rachel introduces a interesting suggestion: past or present members.

inkera

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Slamcharlotte
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 08:00:57 PM »
I could go for past or present PSi members/staff

I love me MORE.......the campaign

danstrack

• Haiku
  • dny
    • View Profile
    • Danny's Website
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2011, 12:12:00 AM »
What does unfair mean?

Scott: In the context of my post, I was saying that I don't think we should restrict the list to former PSI event competitors and staff.  It's just my opinion.

The concept of "fairness" is sorta like the concept of "beauty" - it tends to vary depending on who you ask.  I chose the word, "unfair" because I was trying to express the personal emotion behind my argument.  Our community was deeply affected by Shelia and I FEEL that it would be unfair if Shelia was excluded for a special mention.  Sorry for not being more clear.  I was trying to advocate for general inclusion.  I'm not a fan of exclusivity. 

In my opinion, if someone is considered to be part of our community by some sub-section of the community, I think they should be honored whether they have ever competed at Nationals or not.  I say this in part because Shelia wouldn't qualify for this list if it was restricted to NPS competitors and Staff.  I don't think she was ever a member of PSI either.  It seems this would have affected Melissa as well. 

Anyways, I'm totally fine with the final list.  Thank you for being inclusive!

Scott Woods

• Epic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2011, 01:52:11 AM »
So long as we're clear that you're speaking from a personal place and not the larger Slam community.
By that definition, anyone you feel should be on the list should be on the list. THAT is unfair. Now, you don't care that it's unfair because ultimately, you apparently think anyone who came in contact with Slam, no matter how remote, should be honored by Slam. I do not. So we now have opinions, but no course of action.

I'll tell you when this distinction is - not will be; is - more crucial: in the instances in which PSi is doing more than a moment of silence on a Finals stage. For instance, the EC asked Erik Daniel to create a Remembrance page on the PSi website. He did so. How will we determine who shows up on that page?

karen_g

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/artamokslamteam
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2011, 05:24:57 PM »
For instance, the EC asked Erik Daniel to create a Remembrance page on the PSi website. He did so. How will we determine who shows up on that page?

As a general rule, competitors, staff, past & present PSI members is solid.
What if there was something about special exceptions made at the discretion of a few people who put
together things like the web page? How many submissions are offered that are on the "eh,no," scale?
What if the criteria for exceptions includes organization or the founding of something like the Texas Youth Collective?
I see where it's really sticky.
Where's the slam-minister?
nerak_g