Author Topic: Letter of Action From Gypsee Yo!  (Read 1944 times)

Detroitphoenix

• Epic
  • The biggest boss that you've seen thus far.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/lashaunphoenixmoore
Letter of Action From Gypsee Yo!
« on: February 17, 2011, 09:10:58 AM »
Peace, Fam:

Below, please find a letter that Gypsee Yo asked me to post in the forums to our PSi Family.  I've already felt compelled to send my letter of support and I encourage you all to do the same.

Best,
La Shaun phoenix Moore

Dear holy tribe of poets,

My name is Gypsee Yo, and I am one of you. I have performed and competed under this name for years, mainly to protect my given name, Jonida Beqo, from too much exposure. I am an Albanian and have been for years a political activist for the human rights of the people in my country. I am a survivor of armed conflicts and personal threats. Although I have lived in the States for the last 12 years, I have never ceased to work along my friends and family for a better, free, and democratic Albania.

On January 21, 2011 my only brother, 26 years old and a human rights activist stood a foot away from another woman's brother who got shot in the head, execution style, while protesting peacefully against a corrupt government. 200,000 protesters, among whom my parents and many friends, carrying only umbrellas and picket signs, were met with teargas in a constricted square, were sprayed with water mixed with chemicals, beaten, and evenually, the Republican Guard opened fire to the unarmed crowd, shooting 2600 rounds of live ammunition. Four were killed, many were wounded, hundreds of activists, journalists, and civilians were arrested and beaten for days without any cause, clear charges, legal representation.

Although in scale and length our movement is bigger and longer than that of Egypt (we are a population of 3 million, we average 200,000+ protestors, and have been protesting weekly for two years) there has been no international attention to our situation.
The US and EU labels us as a "functioning democracy" , so all we hear is "talk it out".

Meanwhile, the free media is being shut down, oposition crushed, and citizens are being killed.

I am reaching out to you for help. We are trying to break some of the media silence or superficial converage, as well as urge US representatives/senators to pay attention to our situation. A few other Albanians in the US and I have started a citizens campaign www.actalbania.org.  It contains accurate info, as well as letters you can copy/paste and send to specific targets, also listed on the page. I am asking this as a personal favor. Please, take ten minutes, look us up, send a letter on our behalf. Link us on your facebook, twitter, pass our info along to friends. There is no easier way to change the world than virtual activism. All it takes is will, a little time, and love.

I am also trying to organize a series of events with people who may want to host a "letter writting gathering" from their venues or homes.  Contact me directly if you are willing to help with one, or just want to know more specifics. Thank you for the family you have been through all these years, for being the vast hearts to embrace any cause, for speaking up for who cannot, and always offering yourselves to the world.

facebook event to invite others:http://www.facebook.com/pages/ACT-Albania/137721106292878#!/event.php?eid=110695995675113

facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/ACT-Albania/137721106292878#!/pages/ACT-Albania/137721106292878

For any questions, ideas, or comments, feel free to contact me at jonidab@yahoo.com or gypseeyo@yahoo.com

thank you,

Jonida Beqo/Gypsee Yo

"Everybody matters. Everywhere."- R. McKibbens
"Some people would rather lose their lives than lose freedom." ~Black Thought - The ROOTS

CapnSamwise

• Haiku
    • View Profile
Re: Letter of Action From Gypsee Yo!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 12:13:30 AM »
It's a tragedy that so many innocent people are hurt and killed in the struggle for equality.  I'll get on this pronto.

Billy T

• Limerick
    • View Profile
    • Threehundredsixty Degrees and Rising
Re: Letter of Action From Gypsee Yo!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 05:25:24 PM »
Done.
Chicago Four Star PC http://www.ourstage.com/epk/chicagofourstarpoetryclub
PolyRhythmic
Temple of HipHop