Author Topic: can we change IWPS to Individual North American Poetry Slam championship?  (Read 20882 times)

Billy T

• Limerick
    • View Profile
    • Threehundredsixty Degrees and Rising
Re: can we change IWPS to Individual North American Poetry Slam championship?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 03:16:25 PM »
Slam being the pseudo-sport that it is, the creators of the competition determines the scope of it's championship and as long as iWPS is open to poets outside of northern America, it is a legitimate "world championship". It is not required for the iWPS champ to compete in the World Cup the next year, right? In real sports, disputed championships happen all of the time and there are many multiple "world champs" in several sports.

Of course, the point is not the points or the point on the compas :D
Chicago Four Star PC http://www.ourstage.com/epk/chicagofourstarpoetryclub
PolyRhythmic
Temple of HipHop

Steve

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • The Wordsmith Press
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 03:40:22 PM »
As usual, my dry humor fails in this medium.

Yes, iWPS could travel to another country. It already has.

I don't like I NAPS.

If you want another event for the continent, that would be fun, wouldn't it>

The UMexiCan Slam or some such.

Probably have to hold it in Mexico or Canada because it is easier to get US poets into Mexico than to get Mexican poets into the US.

HoustonRH7

• Slammasters
  • Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2010, 11:24:09 AM »
Is there a way that we could work with slams in other countries to make travel more feasible? For instance, perhaps IWPS could set aside a set number of slots for competitors abroad who could get a bit of financial help, and in return some of the large European tournaments could do the same for us? I'm aware that PSI isn't overflowing with cash, but even a little bit of help would be good.  I know I'd be glad to pay an extra $10 on my IWPS registration if everyone else would too; then we'd have $600-700 with which we could offer international competitors a tad bit of assistance.

If nothing else, I think we'd be doing everyone a favor if events in all countries helped to raise awareness of one another.  Maybe if there were a few mentions of the the European tournaments at IWPS/Nats, and they did the same for us, it would help build a stronger international community.  Also, we could work on creating a worldwide map like the one on the PSI frontpage so that the contacts for international venues are all gathered into one place.  Perhaps the first step to getting other countries to send people here is for us to go there first, and break the stereotype of the arrogant American.  You know, the one who does things like call a tournament a "world" poetry slam when it's not really.  ;)

Steve

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • The Wordsmith Press
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2010, 12:04:26 PM »
We have been sending poets, by invitation and with financial support on their side, to the World Cup for several years running. They have been coming here too, we have hosted the Swedish National Champ, the German National Champ, the Australian National Champ for example.

I agree, cross promotion is a great idea. But the last two iWPS events, especially the most recent iWPS are not typical of this event. They are, however, typical of this economy.

Scott Woods

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.scottwoodswrites.net
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2010, 12:44:54 PM »
I agree, cross promotion is a great idea. But the last two iWPS events, especially the most recent iWPS are not typical of this event. They are, however, typical of this economy.

EXACTLY.  When Paris couldn't send a team to NPS a year or so ago, that was a warning.

AmyD

• Ballad
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2010, 01:14:55 PM »
I know I'd be glad to pay an extra $10 on my IWPS registration if everyone else would too; then we'd have $600-700 with which we could offer international competitors a tad bit of assistance.

Every time someone has a project that interests them, they suggest an extra $10 added to registration for some event.  It just doesn't work that way.  An extra $720?  Cool, let's prioritize that against all of PSi's other financial needs.

Let's also take into account smaller venues that can not, as it is, afford to send reps to all three major events.  If you are a monthly show, and your door is $50/month, $30 is a LOT of money.

Scott Woods

• Epic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2010, 04:45:34 PM »

Every time someone has a project that interests them, they suggest an extra $10 added to registration for some event.  It just doesn't work that way.  An extra $720?  Cool, let's prioritize that against all of PSi's other financial needs.

True, true.

Detroitphoenix

• Epic
  • The biggest boss that you've seen thus far.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/lashaunphoenixmoore
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2010, 06:05:01 PM »
This is cracking me up.

Jess wrote:
Would we accept bids from Pilot to hold iWPS in Paris?

DetroitPhoenix responded:
I don't see why we wouldn't.  We reviewed a bid from Toronto.

I know what you mean but equating Toronto with Paris in terms of 'being international' is funny to me from over here in the faaaaar off land of Canadia.  Just amusing.  No offense.

None taken,

However, just because we're neighbors, doesn't mean Canada is not international (I know you know this).  You're not American.  I still have to use my passport to get to you.  I wasn't trying to be cheeky at all.
"Some people would rather lose their lives than lose freedom." ~Black Thought - The ROOTS

bigpoppae

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2010, 03:05:32 PM »
this has been a great discussion! thanks all y'all for shedding some light on this idea!

Mike Simms

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2010, 09:40:47 PM »
This convo is interesting to me and one that I was just having with the poetry community where I live, most of you know but, I have recently relocated to Sydney Australia, it is interesting because they just had their national competition and crowned the number 1 poet (in Australia). The competition is open to anyone, therefore if say Rudy was visiting me in Sydney he could have competed in a state heat, stayed a couple more weeks and then competed in nationals and won.

So I understand what Scott and others are saying, but I kinda feel what Big poppa E is saying as well, as to the ‘arrogance’ of it.

So if the criteria for it being a valid (world) event is that anyone is welcome to compete, then they have that going on here as well, The actual winner of the state finals in Sydney was an American guy from Houston who is here for medical school.

The funny thing is the winner does not call themselves the number One poet in the world, they call themselves the number One poet in Australia.

Even tho you don’t have to be an aussie to win it.

If PSI was an internationally governed org, they set up shop in all the countries that had slams, they promoted locally in these countries, they moved the event to a different city throughout the world each year, then yes I think the title (individual world poetry slam) works.

To invite some people from other countries to compete in our American event…not so much

In the grand scheme of things, do I care and think the name should change - meh
Should we do more to make it a world event - meh
(having planned an iwps, we have plenty to focus on with our current set-up, before we even think about a global slam)

Just my penny with a hole in it

Scott Woods

• Epic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 10:42:01 PM »
WHERE the event happens doesn't make it international, but it would naturally attract more people from a given area any time it is in a given area.  That happens from state to state now.  Having poets from more than one country makes it international.  If people don't think Canada makes it international, fine.  But I think it's ridiculous to recommend changing the title of it because people from other countries (you know, other than Canada, which apparently doesn't count) didn't make the trip THIS year.  I think it is a question born out of not being aware of the history of the poets at the event. 

So before we go changing the letterhead, how about we do some homework, THEN make some recommendations in the right area, is what I'm saying.

Mike Simms

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 11:45:38 PM »
Soooo scott,

Is rudy the number one poet in the world? or in America.

As stated, the australian nationals are open to people from everywhere, and as stated there was an American and an African poet in the comp. So is the winner of that comp the number one poet in the world (also)? or australia

To reconfirm, i dont think the name of the event should change, but i also dont think that if Germany has a Indi slam and invites poets from everywhere, the winner of that comp is not the world champ.

The Indian Ocean Poetry Slam, Draws in poets from (dont quote me) 11 different contries, its a huge event that happens every year the winner of that is not the wold champ.   

I think Big poppa, just brings up a good conversation point. which is, it is a very AMERICAN thing to do, to host a slam, invite poets from other places and call the winner the number one poet in the world, where as, all over the world there are orgs hosting huge slams, inviting people from all over the world but not calling thier winner the world champ.

NOW, I have been all over the world doing poetry, and i still think we are the best and do it the best, which is why i dont care about the name i just enjoy the debate :)

Duncan Shields

• Limerick
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2010, 02:42:22 PM »
It's all good Phoenix.  You are correct.  Regardless of our proximity, we are a different country.  I know you weren't trying to be cheeky.  Hopefully see you soon.

Detroitphoenix

• Epic
  • The biggest boss that you've seen thus far.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/lashaunphoenixmoore
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2010, 02:55:49 PM »
I truly can't wait to see you again, Duncan.
"Some people would rather lose their lives than lose freedom." ~Black Thought - The ROOTS

Jenn SmileyFace

• Haiku
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2010, 06:06:59 PM »
I also think we should petition to change the World Series to the Yankees and Their Money vs -Insert Other Team Here- Championship since there are better baseball teams in Latin America and Japan.