Author Topic: Vancouver poet Zaccheus Jackson, RIP :(  (Read 397 times)

DaveSilverberg

• Limerick
    • View Profile
    • http://www.torontopoetryslam.com
Vancouver poet Zaccheus Jackson, RIP :(
« on: August 28, 2014, 10:28:28 AM »
It is with a heavy heart that I am informing you of the passing of Zaccheus Jackson, a long-time Vancouver Poetry Slam Team member. He was 36.
Zac was struck and killed by a train in Toronto during his Southern Ontario tour. No other information is available at the time.

For those who didn't know Zac, he was a bright light in the Canadian poetry scene, a guy who was always smiling, and whose talent inspired many Canadian (and I'm assuming, American) poets. His words will never be forgotten.

I know the Vancouver poetry scene is really hurting now (if not all of Canada) so feel free to reach out to those who may be grieving and, as Zac would have preferred it, have a moment of noise for this poet who will be fondly remembered by all who knew him.

RIP, buddy.
Toronto Poetry Slam
www.torontopoetryslam.com
@TOpoetryslam

Christopher-Michael

• Administrator
  • Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • They Speak Youth Slam
Re: Vancouver poet Zaccheus Jackson, RIP :(
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 10:56:01 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear  about this? If he has a Fb page will you post it here? My prayers are with his family and friends.
Christopher Michael
Killeen Poetry Slam
Austin Poetry Slam
They Speak Austin

Hootie Hoooo...

suziqsmith

• Epic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 10:57:41 AM »
My heart goes out to the Vancouver Poetry Slam community, and to all who knew and loved Zaccheus Jackson. I met him only briefly at the National Poetry Slam in Oakland, and his words were moving. May he rest in peace.

Here is Zaccheus' facebook page. He was on the Vancouver team this year at NPS.

https://www.facebook.com/ZaccheusJacksonNyce?fref=ts

karen_g

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/artamokslamteam
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 10:59:19 AM »
My heart is heavy with this news. Personally, we started around the same time & Van Slam poets were some of my first friends, his face one of them. Our greetings at every event were huge. As tall and big as his reach, I'm sure he made a difference to a bunch of young writers and his span will continue.

Please keep us posted on anything in his name or anything we can do to support y'all or his family.
Condolences from me & my team,
Love & prayers.
nerak_g

inkera

• Executive Council
  • Epic
    • View Profile
    • Slamcharlotte
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 12:03:28 PM »
My thoughts are with his family and friends. I'm thankful that I was able to spend a little time with him in Oakland. That we were able to laugh and  joke.

If there is anything we can do, please let us know.
I love me MORE.......the campaign