Thunderclap

Author Topic: Passive Touring?  (Read 1955 times)

Ransacked

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • Aliens Ransacked my Room
Passive Touring?
« on: May 24, 2010, 05:33:12 PM »
Every so often I'll notice one or two "slam luminaries" in my home venue, not featuring or anything, just soaking it all in. Maybe they've come to see the feature, maybe they had hoped to feature but the scheduling didn't work out, or maybe they came to listen and learn. I don't know how many have come expressly to listen, but I like that idea.

I'm not a slam luminary, but I'd like to go on a listening tour this fall. I'm thinking two weeks, six to eight cities, suitcase, railpass, that sort of thing. Wind up someplace far and fly back to Boston...or maybe just stay put someplace far and see how that goes.

Mike McGee and others have written extensively, and well, on how to tour as a "touring poet," but not all of that advice seems relevant to the kind of passive touring I have in mind. For example, I'd have no scheduling pressure: if I missed the train to Springfield, I might miss the Springfield reading, but the Springfield reading wouldn't miss me. On the other hand, I'd be unable/unwilling to avail myself of the Touring Poet Hospitality Network, since I wouldn't be singing for my supper.

Have any of you done this kind of tour before? What did you learn?

What are the must-see venues, slam or otherwise? I'd like to visit a blend of national powerhouses and "best-kept secrets."

While any road trip is a test of serendipity, I'd prefer to help serendipity out by focusing on reliable, established readings where a guy from out-of-town can be reasonably sure of getting a seat.

Anybody know of back-to-back kind of events, where I could attend (for example) a workshop one day and an open mic the next day? Spending multiple days in one town would let me do some touristy stuff...and possibly some laundry.

Thanks in advance for any links or suggestions.

inkera

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Slamcharlotte
Re: Passive Touring?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 10:43:51 PM »
Charlotte would love to have you come through. If you come the 3rd week of the month we do a weekend of poetry. You can start on Tuesday with an open mic, do tourist like stuff Wednesday, Thursday you could go to a performance poetry show with a live band and Friday SlamCharlotte's slam, Saturday our performance and voice workshop, and Sunday Speak Up Youth Slam.

The Tuesday and Thursday shows happen every week.

I love me MORE.......the campaign

Ransacked

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 07:08:41 AM »
Wow. Thanks, Inkera! Sounds as if I could roll into town on a Tuesday and practically be a "regular" by the time I rolled out Sunday morning! That's exactly the kind of scene I'd like to explore.

by way of reciprocity: Here in Boston, during the school year, one could show up on Sunday and see the Lizard Lounge slam, go to the Emerson College Slam/open mic on Monday, take the train down to Providence on Tuesday for Got Poetry Live (feature and open mic) and then back to Boston/Cambridge for the Cantab open mic/slam on Wednesday.

inkera

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Slamcharlotte
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 06:18:05 PM »
I'm going to file this information away and plan to take advantage of this. Thanks for the information.

Ransacked

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 11:20:58 AM »
Hey Inkera:
Charlotte would love to have you come through. If you come the 3rd week of the month we do a weekend of poetry.

Is "third week of the month" Sept. 12-18? I ask because Sept. 2010 starts on a Wednesday, so I'm not sure if you count that as the first week. Right now I'm seeing an amazing airfare deal ($125 round trip!) if I go Thursday 9/16 and return Sunday 9/19, but I want to be sure I can catch the slam and attend the workshop.

I'm already looking forward to this. Thanks!

inkera

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Slamcharlotte
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 11:25:53 AM »
Yep that is the week of our slam. I'm excited!!!!