Author Topic: International exemption from W&YI?  (Read 3273 times)

DaveSilverberg

• Limerick
    • View Profile
    • http://www.torontopoetryslam.com
International exemption from W&YI?
« on: May 02, 2010, 11:37:01 PM »
So here in Toronto, we don't get a lot of W&YI love. We've tried to get something going this year, but no avail. There just aren't enough close PSI-ceritified cities to do a regional with, especially with some new passport rules hampering travel between US and Canada.

(note: there are LOTS of slams in our province but they aren't PSI certified)

I have an idea: international exemptions from W&YI. I'm pretty sure Paris gets it already, understandably, but Canadians teams don't. I know, we're not THAT far away from NYC and Michigan, but it seems those scenes are already doin regionals within state. And getting our asses to the US does cost a pretty penny, even though it's obviously doable.

I understand W&YI was introduced for a number of logical reasons, one of which is to control how many teams get into NPS. Everyone wants to go to NPS but there are so many slots. Fine. But if NPS wants to broaden its reach beyond American borders, they need to encourage international teams to take part, to better showcase the range of spoken word talent rockin stages on Planet Earth.

Perhaps the W&YI rule could only apply to teams coming from the States?

Right now, the W&YI is a real albatross hanging over Toronto's head, and we're not entirely certain we can get into NPS this year, because we didn't do a W&YI (even though we paid our fees and sent a proxy to the SM meeting)

Curious to know what you all think. I admit I'm a PSI/NPS newbie, relatively, so I might not know of any sub-rules relating to this issue.

Toronto Poetry Slam
www.torontopoetryslam.com
@TOpoetryslam

Scott Woods

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.scottwoodswrites.net
Re: International exemption from W&YI?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 07:49:14 AM »
Dave,

The slams in your area no longer have to be fully certified.  They can play W&YI as a merely registered venue.
Also, not doing W&YI doesn't mean you won't get into NPS.  It means you go to the bottom of the list and you MIGHT not get to go to NPS. 

I'll add this: if Toronto can send teams to the Rust Belt every year as well as reps to the other national contests (and at WOW as a Last Chance Slam candidate!) and a team to NPS consistently, then it sounds like you had a tough time this year, but a time that's easily fixed with more work the next time around.

AmyD

• Ballad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 08:43:26 AM »
Can someone clarify exactly what the rule is for "remote teams" as it stands?  If I recall correctly, Hawaii and Paris are both guaranteed NPS every other year without doing W&YI, while all other teams would be guaranteed NPS every third year.

Also, are there any registered-but-not-certified teams near Toronto?

zadriana

• Administrator
  • Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zadriana.com
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 02:31:21 PM »
Pittsburgh is only four hours away.

jesster

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Jesse Parent
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 05:34:57 PM »
I still don't understand the distinction between registered and certified. Can someone help? I thought it was:

Certified: recognized as slam with 6 pieces of "proof", an average of 30 people in their audience, and have paid their certification fee

-Jesse

PS Mexico City also has the regional exemption, but Maui Slam does not (to my knowledge)

inkera

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Slamcharlotte
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 10:48:06 AM »
I still don't understand the distinction between registered and certified. Can someone help? I thought it was:

Certified: recognized as slam with 6 pieces of "proof", an average of 30 people in their audience, and have paid their certification fee

-Jesse

PS Mexico City also has the regional exemption, but Maui Slam does not (to my knowledge)

Registered: They have paid the fee but have not met the 6 pieces of evidence or they are a slam not open to all. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong) They would only be able to attend NPS if there are open slots after all certified teams register.
I love me MORE.......the campaign

The Award Winning DwnTown Poetry Krewe

• Sonnet
  • The Award Winning DwnTown Poetry Krewe
    • View Profile
    • DwnTown Poetry Krewe National Website
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 12:14:52 PM »
My understanding is a venue can pay the $125 and be classified as a registered venue and can play in Win & Your In but the poets that represents that registered venue must be PSI members and in good standing. That registered venue will get a win and your in ranking but can not got to Nationals...Where a certified venue has paid the $125 send in all the evidence that a slam is going on on a consistent basics and that venue can play in win and your in and send a team to nationals depending on there win and your in rank 2-0 teams are automatic.

Toronto I would suggest that get with some of the poets that did not make your national team pay the $125 oh get a venue and pay the $125 or you could have a slam to determine the team of that registered venue and the top 4 or 5 poets of that slam compete with the Toronto National Team best 2 of 3 Win and your in that way 1.Poets get experience, 2. You don't have to spend loot for a pass port 3. It will be a family affair 3. and depending on your rank get a spot at Nationals
The Award Winning Dwn Town Poetry Krewe "Home of the Red Beans & Write Poetry Slam Team 
takes place the last Saturday of the month!
@ The AOC Community Media Room
101 Jefferson Street, Suite 100, Lafayette, LA 70501. DwnTownpoetry@gmail.com