Author Topic: Pact: Open mic at your snowed-in airport  (Read 1680 times)

Ransacked

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • Aliens Ransacked my Room
Pact: Open mic at your snowed-in airport
« on: December 23, 2009, 04:01:11 PM »
Those of us flying into/ out of the Midwest this Christmas weekend are probably going to spend a lot of time stuck in airports. It's supposed to be Snowpocalypse out there. I'll be passing through Cleveland, Chicago, and Minneapolis, so I'll be right in the thick of it.

If I'm stuck at an airport for more than two hours, I'm going to organize an open mic then and there, right in the terminal. I encourage any other snow-bound poets to do the same. I will cast a pretty wide net: singers, poets, comics, salespeople with PowerPoint presentations on their laptops, jugglers, etc.

Local TV news reporters always love to do stories of snowed-in, defeated travelers at Christmas. But I'll bet a variety show in an airport would break out of B-roll establishing footage and get its own segment on the news.

Plus, I mean, haven't you always wanted to say "Man, the open mic I hosted in (Chicago/ Milwaukee / Pittsburgh) was so rough, everybody in the joint had to go through a metal detector before we could start the show!" I can't be the only one who wants that kind of thing on his slam resume.

Understand I'm not rooting for terrible weather, delayed flights, and long lines of frustration. I'm just letting you know what I plan to do about it should that come to pass.

This could totally become a movement or something.

Merry Christmas!

WilliamJames

• Limerick
    • View Profile
    • WhatIs174.com
Re: Pact: Open mic at your snowed-in airport
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 02:47:48 AM »
I've never tried this, but I did bust out an improv poetry reading with a friend at Union Station in Chicago while waiting for our train to arrive.  That was a great deal of fun.

jesster

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Jesse Parent
Re: Pact: Open mic at your snowed-in airport
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 03:08:59 PM »
I'm pretty sure this is against the Patriot Act

-Jesster