Author Topic: Regional Ride-share boards hosted on these forums?  (Read 1850 times)

Ransacked

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • Aliens Ransacked my Room
Regional Ride-share boards hosted on these forums?
« on: December 21, 2009, 05:11:53 PM »
So. What if there were standing sections on this forum where poets could work out carpools to poetry shows?

Boston (well, er, Cambridge) has two PSI-certified slams. Cantab and Lizard. Wednesday and Sunday. There are  like a zillion different busses and subways and bike paths that can get you to these places from anywhere in Boston.

But if you live outside of Boston, certainly if you live outside of the I-95 beltway that rings Our Fair City, you might not come see us. We might be missing out on some great voices.

Conversely, there are other certified PSI slam venues kind-of sort-of near Boston: Providence, Worcester, Amherst, Manchester. Plus there are a lot of other slam-friendly venues. Simone and I came up with about a dozen places where a spoken-word poet in Boston might want to cut her teeth.

There are probably Boston poets who would love to get out more, out to those other venues, but they never get to those venues because they don't have a car, or they can't afford the gas, or whatever.

I was about to propose that Cantab implement some sort of ride-share bulletin board, either a physical bulletin board we'd display next to the open mic list, or an HTML/SQL bulletin board we'd keep on our Website. But now I wonder if it should be here on these forums.

We'd split the USA (And Canada) into some regions, maybe do something cool with Google maps.

What do you folks think? Would enough people from enough scenes avail themselves of that kind of service? Would it boost PSI enrollment? Would it add a lot of stupid server traffic? What do you guys do in your communities when a big poetry show rolls in a few towns over from where you live?

edaniel

• Slammasters
  • Epic
    • View Profile
    • PSi
Re: Regional Ride-share boards hosted on these forums?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 12:08:22 PM »
I would be happy to make this happen if there is interest.