Author Topic: Feedback welcome  (Read 2805 times)

The Award Winning DwnTown Poetry Krewe

• Sonnet
  • The Award Winning DwnTown Poetry Krewe
    • View Profile
    • DwnTown Poetry Krewe National Website
Feedback welcome
« on: December 14, 2009, 11:25:42 AM »
My name is Yah Fu and I' am the slam master of the Spoken Innovation Poetry Slam,
A few months ago we had a slam and the 3 minutes 10 seconds rule was in affect.
A guy walked on stage and start performing a poem, the poem ended in like 1 min and 20 seconds
So when the host begin to walk on stage thinking the poet was finished he begin to perform another poem
But the host stopped him and said he can only perform one poem per round.
But he was very upset that the host messed him up because he felt that he could do as many poems as he wants
within the 3 min 10 sec  grace period. But I told him no its one poem per round.

Is that a PSI rule that only one poem can be perform in a round?

We will be picking our team this Friday and I do have that as a rule "Only one poem per round"
3 min 10 seconds doesn't mean you can perform multiple poems in that time am I wrong with this?
The Award Winning Dwn Town Poetry Krewe "Home of the Red Beans & Write Poetry Slam Team 
takes place the last Saturday of the month!
@ The AOC Community Media Room
101 Jefferson Street, Suite 100, Lafayette, LA 70501. DwnTownpoetry@gmail.com

jesster

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Jesse Parent
Re: Feedback welcome
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 11:42:34 AM »
My name is Yah Fu and I' am the slam master of the Spoken Innovation Poetry Slam,
A few months ago we had a slam and the 3 minutes 10 seconds rule was in affect.
A guy walked on stage and start performing a poem, the poem ended in like 1 min and 20 seconds
So when the host begin to walk on stage thinking the poet was finished he begin to perform another poem
But the host stopped him and said he can only perform one poem per round.
But he was very upset that the host messed him up because he felt that he could do as many poems as he wants
within the 3 min 10 sec  grace period. But I told him no its one poem per round.

Is that a PSI rule that only one poem can be perform in a round?

We will be picking our team this Friday and I do have that as a rule "Only one poem per round"
3 min 10 seconds doesn't mean you can perform multiple poems in that time am I wrong with this?

Yahfu,

That is generally correct, although you could theoretically run it as you like in your own venue as long as the competition meets the standards as described in our rulebook. Most of the language in the rulebook concerning instructions to judges centers around "poem", but the rest of the areas concern "performance".  So, in individual competition, it is arguably open and up to the venue to be specific.

-Jesster

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 11:50:02 AM »
So you're saying that one poem per round is the logical interpretation of the rule,
Just make sure every poet understands it?
The Award Winning Dwn Town Poetry Krewe "Home of the Red Beans & Write Poetry Slam Team 

jesster

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Jesse Parent
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 01:01:15 PM »
That about sums it up, yes.

-Jesster

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 01:43:02 PM »
Thanks

TSPrunier

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/slamrichmond
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 08:48:27 PM »
The rule (emphasis mine):

"Each poet gets three minutes (plus a ten-second grace period) to read one poem. If the poet goes over time, points will be deducted from the total score."

As Jesster noted, each venue can have its own rules. Some venues have no time limits, some may allow multiple poems. I was in a slam last summer where a poet forgot his poem halfway through and clearly started another. Being one to discuss it (usually here, months later) than file a protest, I said nothing... though I thought that was a clear violation of the rules and the poet should've received a zero or been disqualified altogether...

... but many slams operate from rules that were passed down via oral tradition, and not having a written copy of venue-specific rules on the premises tends to be the rule rather than the exception, so a protest is often not possible.

I've seen this kind of confusion happen when a poet has a long scripted pause in their work. Our slam is in a gallery, with a lot of walls and curtains, allowing for a lot of improvisation. I can hear the beep of the stopwatch clicking back on when the poet starts again, which means they may have gotten 20 extra seconds. This is also commonplace when a poet forgets their poem and struggles to remember it. Do we keep the stopwatch going while they smiled at the ceiling? Heck, yeah.

My guideline to myself is to pass a note to the host if there's something unusual about my poem. I have a few that stop on dimes and a few loong pauses, so I'll let the host or timekeeper (often the same person) know about these in advance to avoid any confusion.

Also, if the person doesn't know the rules, wasn't listening to the m.c. spiel at the opening of the show and tries to do two pieces or worse (time to embarrass pre-SlamRichmond Richmond, VA) recite, word-for-word, a Kanye West rap dressed as Mr. West, they should learn that you will receive applause and be disqualified, not receive a score and a second-place finish. (My hometown has come a long way since.)

Anticipating Rev. BillMac: The time limit is three minutes, not 3:10. The 10 seconds are a grace period.

AmyD

• Ballad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 10:20:25 PM »
So you're saying that one poem per round is the logical interpretation of the rule,
Just make sure every poet understands it?

No, not as you interpret it.  It is entirely up to the poet what constitutes a "poem".  For example, a series of related haiku can be called one poem.  Three sonnets can be called one poem.  This has been deemed acceptable in national competition.  By the same token, two short free-verse pieces that add up to less that three minutes can also be considered one poem, if the poet calls it that.

Now, in most cases, the judges will go "WTF?" and score accordingly, but sometimes they imagine brilliant connections between part one and part two and reward the poet for his innovation.

TSPrunier

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/slamrichmond
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 12:46:15 AM »
It is entirely up to the poet what constitutes a "poem".  For example, a series of related haiku can be called one poem.  Three sonnets can be called one poem.  This has been deemed acceptable in national competition.  By the same token, two short free-verse pieces that add up to less that three minutes can also be considered one poem, if the poet calls it that.

The slam purist in me cringes, but you do have a point. So many slam poets write three-minute pieces that are easily and amalgam of four or five awkwardly grouped ideas. It would be easy to hide several pieces in one.

Now, in most cases, the judges will go "WTF?" and score accordingly, but sometimes they imagine brilliant connections between part one and part two and reward the poet for his innovation.

I guess that's just how it goes, doesn't it? If a poet knows the rule is one poem and mashes two or three, it's between them and their poetry gods, right? Like the misogynist who does pro-women pieces to get laid or the doofus who writes a piece about his mother dying for sympathy when she's still alive. 

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 04:20:40 PM »
I would be inclined to simply tell them one poem per round, now what ever he or she do within that is their business.