Author Topic: Poetry Cross Training Conference  (Read 5243 times)

Steve

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • The Wordsmith Press
Poetry Cross Training Conference
« on: October 22, 2009, 09:33:02 AM »
Here is the thread for summer workshop, per President Woods' suggestion.

Current status of summer workshop? On hold. Not forgotten, but not being re-invented either.

jbradley

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • Broken Speech Poetry Slam
Re: Poetry Cross Training Conference
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 12:26:38 PM »
I'd love to be a workshopper on post-slam opportunities if this is up and running for 2010.
Do or do not.  There is no try. - Yoda

AmyD

• Ballad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 01:20:36 PM »
There was some discussion about why the Hope Springs workshop was so well-attended this year as compared to PCTC, and what we could learn from that, so I will post a few thoughts:

1) For me, Oneonta was a tough location.  I realize that any location will be problematic for someone, but putting a conference near a major airport makes a huge difference for me.  The idea of flying to Albany and THEN having to worry about an hour and a half bus or taxi or something was too much.

2) When I was considering PCTC in 2008, there was a list of presenters, but I didn't have a good idea of what each would present.  I want to know specifically what workshops they are teaching so I can then judge for myself if I think I can get something out of it.  Having outstanding presenters is great, but if I saw Scott Woods facilitating a workshop called "Memorization Tips and Tricks", I would have second thoughts on it.

3) The event was held really close to NPS.  I know that's when campuses are available, and for students or teachers this is convenient, but it is tough for some of us to take vacation time like this.  I don't know if it's possible, but the ideal for me wold be to hold a conference over a holiday weekend (e.g. Friday - Memorial Day Monday) to minimize time off of work.

Scott Woods

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.scottwoodswrites.net
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 01:43:13 PM »
How much was Hope Springs?

AmyD

• Ballad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 01:49:04 PM »
How much was Hope Springs?

It $350 last year, and has gone up to $395 for 2010.

I drove from Chicago, but they arranged airport pick-ups for those who needed them.  If I recall correctly, that was about $30, but someone else may have an exact number.

Nicole Homer

• Rules Rewrite Committee
  • Limerick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 02:07:05 PM »
Amy, Can you email/FB the link for the 2010 Hope Springs retreat? Can't find and plan on attending.

In the other thread Steve said that as run PCTC wasn't feasible? How is "feasible" defined? Break-even? Profitable? Is there an acceptable window of loss?

*Also, I planned to attend the 2008 PCTC but the website was never updated to reflect who or what would make up the content of the workshop and I didn't feel comfortable going in blind.
*Location wasn't really as much of a factor as access. I don't mind the plane + bus ride as long as I know the bus exists and isn't cost prohibitive.

AmyD

• Ballad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 02:31:32 PM »
Amy, Can you email/FB the link for the 2010 Hope Springs retreat? Can't find and plan on attending.

In the other thread Steve said that as run PCTC wasn't feasible? How is "feasible" defined? Break-even? Profitable? Is there an acceptable window of loss?

*Also, I planned to attend the 2008 PCTC but the website was never updated to reflect who or what would make up the content of the workshop and I didn't feel comfortable going in blind.
*Location wasn't really as much of a factor as access. I don't mind the plane + bus ride as long as I know the bus exists and isn't cost prohibitive.

I sent it to you on FB.  You'll be pleased to see that we are on the homepage :-)

Steve

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • The Wordsmith Press
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 02:34:11 PM »
Nicole, all programs in pSI have to end up breaking even or making a profit at least by their second year. Cross training lost money the first year and made about $100 the second year, then lost money after that. Last year we canceled when we got too close to the date and no one had done anything other than inquire. This economy is certainly part of the issue. And maybe when this recession lifts some, we may try again. But for now, no plans to offer this experience again.

Now if I suddenly got 20 people asking for it and putting money in a bucket, we could get something rolling. But we learned that "if you build it, they will come" is not necessarily true.

AmyD

• Ballad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 02:56:28 PM »
Nicole, all programs in pSI have to end up breaking even or making a profit at least by their second year. Cross training lost money the first year and made about $100 the second year, then lost money after that. Last year we canceled when we got too close to the date and no one had done anything other than inquire. This economy is certainly part of the issue. And maybe when this recession lifts some, we may try again. But for now, no plans to offer this experience again.

Now if I suddenly got 20 people asking for it and putting money in a bucket, we could get something rolling. But we learned that "if you build it, they will come" is not necessarily true.

What is the approximate number of participants needed to break even?

Steve

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • The Wordsmith Press
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 08:45:29 PM »
Last time we ran, we determined we needed 23 or 24 to break even.

zork

• Haiku
    • View Profile
    • http://www.stolensnapshots.com
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 01:23:33 PM »
Dad, I will be perpetually sad until Slam Camp comes back!  :-[
-- Zork
- Eric ZORK Alan
-- www.stolensnapshots.com

TSPrunier

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/slamrichmond
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 05:01:40 PM »
I'd like to know what I'm missing. Please bring slam camp back.