Author Topic: Limerick Slam at IWPS?  (Read 9923 times)

Ransacked

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • Aliens Ransacked my Room
Limerick Slam at IWPS?
« on: October 01, 2009, 09:11:02 AM »
Is the limerick slam still happening at IWPS? It used to be listed here
http://iwps.poetryslam.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70:list-all-events&catid=14:festival-guide&Itemid=63
but today it is not.

I've been practicing for this slam for weeks. No kidding. I'm really looking forward to it.

TSPrunier

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/slamrichmond
Re: Limerick Slam at IWPS?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 09:42:04 AM »
Hope it happens. Hope it becomes a part of NPS too.

Sonnets, villanelles too.

Dahled

• NPS Host City Forum
  • Ballad
    • View Profile
    • Our Myspace
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 04:54:06 PM »
Is the limerick slam still happening at IWPS? It used to be listed here
http://iwps.poetryslam.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70:list-all-events&catid=14:festival-guide&Itemid=63
but today it is not.

I've been practicing for this slam for weeks. No kidding. I'm really looking forward to it.

i don't believe so - i think it's been changed to the cover slam... look for what Stephen "young meezy" Meads is hosting.

Ransacked

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 06:52:30 PM »
Looks as though there will be a cover slam instead. Okay, I'll try my luck at that!

The verses you've written, my dear,
Will not be competing this year.
Poor limerick lover,
You'll just have to cover
The classics of Belloc and Lear.

Steve

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • The Wordsmith Press
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 06:38:23 AM »
Poor limerick lover,

Outstanding. I declare you the unofficial winner.

Remember folks, we had an underground indy champ at NPS, could happen again in this category.

AmyD

• Ballad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 08:57:25 AM »
Poor limerick lover,

Outstanding. I declare you the unofficial winner.

Remember folks, we had an underground indy champ at NPS, could happen again in this category.

And a toast slam.

If someone wants to organize it, I'd be happy to compete (as the reigning Chicago limerick champ), but I don't get in until Saturday afternoon.

Ransacked

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 08:58:25 AM »

Heehee. Simone floated that idea past me, too. I'm not about to try organizing a poetry event in a city I've never seen, one week before I arrive, but I'll gladly sponsor prizes if anyone wants to step up to the plate:

1st Prize: Signed copy of Pocketwatch Games' Wildlife Tycoon: Venture Africa. Computer game (Mac and PC) featuring 60 animal-themed limericks by yours truly. Retail value $20. I'll also buy the winner a drink.

2nd Prize: Signed copy of Boys at Play, my book of new formalism and light verse. Includes six limericks written by me and one by N.D. Austin, plus 48 more pages of exquisitely well-rhymed poems. Retail value $10. And I'll buy the second-place winner a drink.

3rd Prize: Signed copy of Other Nasty Habits, my chapbook of slam poetry. Since I was philosophically uncomfortable with the idea of publishing a book of non-rhyming poems, I filled in the white spaces of this book with 33 of my limericks. Retail value $3. And I'll buy the third-place winner a drink.

That's $33 worth of prizes and three drinks. I'm betting less than ten people were planning on entering the limerick slam anyway, and naturally I won't compete in a slam I'm sponsoring, so you limerick-slammers out there have to be liking your odds. Post here if you're interested and we'll see what happens.

charlesellik

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 11:37:58 AM »

Heehee. Simone floated that idea past me, too. I'm not about to try organizing a poetry event in a city I've never seen, one week before I arrive, but I'll gladly sponsor prizes if anyone wants to step up to the plate:

1st Prize: Signed copy of Pocketwatch Games' Wildlife Tycoon: Venture Africa. Computer game (Mac and PC) featuring 60 animal-themed limericks by yours truly. Retail value $20. I'll also buy the winner a drink.

2nd Prize: Signed copy of Boys at Play, my book of new formalism and light verse. Includes six limericks written by me and one by N.D. Austin, plus 48 more pages of exquisitely well-rhymed poems. Retail value $10. And I'll buy the second-place winner a drink.

3rd Prize: Signed copy of Other Nasty Habits, my chapbook of slam poetry. Since I was philosophically uncomfortable with the idea of publishing a book of non-rhyming poems, I filled in the white spaces of this book with 33 of my limericks. Retail value $3. And I'll buy the third-place winner a drink.

That's $33 worth of prizes and three drinks. I'm betting less than ten people were planning on entering the limerick slam anyway, and naturally I won't compete in a slam I'm sponsoring, so you limerick-slammers out there have to be liking your odds. Post here if you're interested and we'll see what happens.

Why not?  We have a late night meeting room at the hotel, and a few informal contests have already been arranged to happen there.  Big Booties, a Madden tournament, even a high-stakes poker game.  That space is under the supervision of our Director of Hospitality, Nazleah.  contact her at:  nazleah @ gmail. com

DainMDown

• Limerick
    • View Profile
    • my spazy space
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 04:09:53 PM »

just so it doesn't go undone b/c no one "second" the idea. I second it and would be down for competing and assisting in helping with the organization of a late night limmerick bout :-)
too oblivion, and beyond!

Ransacked

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 08:40:15 PM »
just so it doesn't go undone b/c no one "second" the idea. I second it and would be down for competing and assisting in helping with the organization of a late night limmerick bout :-)

At IWPS, my poems were great!
Applause shook the famed Golden Gate!
I thought "I'm the victor!"
Nope. Turns out the Richter
Scale won... with a 7.8.

An underground slam? I'd jump in it,
And organize, though it's last-minute,
I'm down and I'm game,
Except--this is lame--
If I produce this, I can't win it.

And lest that seem petty--no, petulant,
Please know I'm a Boston poet who spent
Both money and time
To showcase his rhyme.
Thanks, Dain. (Someone I don't know.) (Yet.) (You gent!)

Yeah, that last one starts rhyming on the ante-antepenultimate syllable. That's just how we roll here in Boston. Kiss the ring.  :-*

Scott Woods

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.scottwoodswrites.net
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 05:44:03 AM »
Contrary to popular writ,
Outside you don't have to sit.
If you don't MC
I really don't see
why you can't be in it to win it.

chadpoet

• Ballad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 08:49:27 AM »
I've hosted the limerick slam at NYC Urbana.  I'd be happy to host this one on some given night.  As long as (unlike Urbana) some random drunk audience member I heckled earlier doesn't decide to try to strangle me on my way to my car. I'll contact Nazellah today if folks really want this.

Ransacked

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 10:19:57 AM »
I've hosted the limerick slam at NYC Urbana.  I'd be happy to host this one on some given night.  As long as (unlike Urbana) some random drunk audience member I heckled earlier doesn't decide to try to strangle me on my way to my car. I'll contact Nazellah today if folks really want this.

I volunteer to host and/or assist Chad/Dain however they see fit. I'll provide prizes (as detailed above) and I'll print up 100 full-color fliers to promote this thing. I land in SF on Thursday morning (just in time to catch the originally-scheduled limerick slam, sniff!) and so I'll send the fliers with the Cantab representative, who is arriving on Wednesday. That way the fliers can make it into the poet bags or at least they'll be present on the registration tables.

back-channel to afmoffa at yahoo! dot com

DainMDown

• Limerick
    • View Profile
    • my spazy space
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 11:15:39 PM »

what if bear hug you on the way to your room
would that spell our slams imminent doom
cause i just love to touch
chad anderson so much
i hope the limmerick slam happens in his room

but for real, im there for it, working on poems right now
too oblivion, and beyond!

Ransacked

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 09:26:54 AM »
I E-mailed Nazleah yesterday and told her that we were interested in making use of the hotel's meeting room (or any other facility available) for the limerick slam. I'll keep you posted.