Author Topic: IWPS News  (Read 11415 times)

charlesellik

IWPS News
« on: August 26, 2009, 04:18:15 PM »
Folks-- 

--We've got so much stuff lined up for IWPS!  And so much more in the works!  IF you haven't been to our website this week, please go and look at the changes.

--Everyone is asking about the Host Hotel.  I don't have any news right now, it's outta my hands.  We're working on it.  Promise. 

--Meanwhile, here's some FUN stuff, just confirmed:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We’re excited to team up with the Living Word Festival for our annual Poets’ BBQ on Saturday, Oct 10!   IWPS will provide food and drink for poets, staff, and IWPS Festival Ticket holders.  LWF’s annual “red, black, and GREEN” event will provide a world-famous Hip Hop artist, thousands of fans, graffiti battles, low-rider bicycle displays, green architecture displays, and much more!

11:00am-5:00pm:  POETS’ BBQ.  Free, all ages.

DeFremery Park (AKA Little Bobby Hutton Park):  1651 Adeline Street, Oakland, CA 94607
www.oaklandnet.com/parks/Facilities/rc_defremery.asp
Living Word Project and Festival:
http://livingwordproject.org

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The IWPS 09 Home City Committee decided this week to assemble a "Committee of Creative Mischief" whose duty is to "Delight, surprise, occasionally confuse, and accidentally advertise IWPS 09".  If you're interested in being mischievous, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator (Terry Taplin, on  "The Talent/Staff" page) directly to be on the committee!

charlesellik

Re: IWPS News
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 12:16:14 AM »
Folks--

--Would any of you out there be willing to help a poet from South Africa to participate in IWPS 09?  We have no budget to do this, and it breaks my heart.  I REALLY wanted to have IWPS actually be an international event this year.  I'm thinking we could set up a Pay Pal donation account so folks could donate funds?

--Here's the note he sent me:

> My name is Buthelezi and I am the current Slam Champion in South Africa.
>
> How would I be able to compete at the forthcoming Individual World Poetry
> Slam ?
>
> What would the procedure be and from a financial aspect would it be possible
> to acquire any sponsorships ?
>
> I recently email Steve Marsh and asked him on the general procedure for
> entry - but he has not as yet replied.
>
> If you could kindly enlighten me regarding the above enquiry.
>
> Kind Regards
> Buthelezi

Steve

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • The Wordsmith Press
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 10:23:47 AM »
I have responded to him. But, officially, I am limited to telling him the dates, times, prices, etc. If there is a grassroots response to his need, that's pretty cool. I also told him he has until September 7 only to take advantage of his foreign status and distance from the tournament in order to guarantee a spot in the event. Any grassroots support has to happen in a week.

AmyD

• Ballad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 11:31:31 AM »
I have responded to him. But, officially, I am limited to telling him the dates, times, prices, etc. If there is a grassroots response to his need, that's pretty cool. I also told him he has until September 7 only to take advantage of his foreign status and distance from the tournament in order to guarantee a spot in the event. Any grassroots support has to happen in a week.

Cranky Monday Morning Amy is going to point out that we don't know anything about this guy, unless someone tells me that they've had more contact than what is shown above or has contacts in common with him.

Steve

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • The Wordsmith Press
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 12:27:38 PM »
I have had exchanges with him and organizers in South Africa. It could be a scam, but I have no knowledge that it is. When anyone contacts me and says, "I'm the champ of XYZ," I tend to believe them. This was true at NPS this year with the German National Champion too. And with past champs from Mexico City, Sweden, Australia and Great Britain. If you know otherwise, or have heard of someone else with the same claim, let us know.

AmyD

• Ballad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 12:45:30 PM »
I have had exchanges with him and organizers in South Africa. It could be a scam, but I have no knowledge that it is. When anyone contacts me and says, "I'm the champ of XYZ," I tend to believe them. This was true at NPS this year with the German National Champion too. And with past champs from Mexico City, Sweden, Australia and Great Britain. If you know otherwise, or have heard of someone else with the same claim, let us know.

No, I believe you.  Just making sure someone did due diligence.

charlesellik

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 01:17:59 PM »
Folks--

--If you are arriving early, the annual Love Parade (modeled after the world's largest parade in Germany) in San Francisco will be the weekend before IWPS, on Saturday, Oct 3.  LOTS of nekkid and half nude people in silly costumes!

http://www.sflovevolution.org/

charlesellik

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 02:56:47 AM »
    A contract with the gorgeous, newly-remodeled Hotel Shattuck Plaza has finally been signed!  YIPPEEE!

http://www.hotelshattuckplaza.com

This is where we will have the Late Late Night events on Thursday and Friday.   Yes, there is an outdoor smoking area!  We stroll leisurely downhill from our Finals Venue to the Hotel, where we will host our After Party in their ballroom (and attached bar) on Oct 10th.

This hotel is one block from all forms of public transit, right in the middle of dozens of shops, restaurants, and services, as well walking distance from our venues.  Oh yeah, free wifi throughout.  It’s swanky!  There are NO hotels nearer to the venues than Hotel Shattuck, not even close. 

This year we will not have the typical Host Hotel arrangement.  PSI is not doing a rooming list for this event, as we have for the last few.  So, poets will need to make their own pairings if they wish to share a room.  The good news is that you’re not required to stay here.  The bad news is that you should behave yourself, because we have very little leverage with the management and there will be plenty other ‘regular’ customers.   This hotel is usually full.

Each poet is to make his/her own reservation with his/her own credit card, and will pay the bill at check out as one might usually    On that note, the hotel has only 25 two bed hotel rooms.  These are likely to go quickly. 
    The other rooms have king or full size beds.
    The suites, not included in these prices, have 2 or 3 king size beds.

For a discount, poets should identify themselves as being with the Individual World Poetry Slam (I wouldn't use only the letters IWPS) and they will qualify for the rate of $130 for a basic room.  Plus taxes, and normal fees that one would encounter at a hotel. 

There will be an online link that people can use to register for this price as well, and we’ll post that as soon as we get it.

There are only a handful of other hotels nearby.  If you don’t mind walking a bit uphill (there’s no parking), you can stay at Hotel Durant for roughly the same price.  You can try getting cheaper rooms at motels across town, in Emeryville, or in downtown Oakland.  The least expensive rooms in downtown Berkeley are at the YMCA, which has decent private rooms with no gender limitations or curfews.  Get them quick, they don’t have many rooms to offer! 

Be wary of super cheap hotels in Oakland, Emeryville, or South Berkeley, as some of them can be super sketchy.  There are some near the 80 freeway that are fine.  Do your research.  Or just pay a couple extra bucks, stay at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza, relax and enjoy.  It’s really nice, easy, and centrally located.

Faldwin

• Limerick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 08:16:52 AM »
I just went to their website, and tried to enter a reservation for 2 adults on October 7th (That wednesday) for 4 nights it tells me that the rooms with two beds are not available.  Have they already filled up, or has PSI reserved some of them?

Mike Simms

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 09:34:49 AM »
How far away is the doubletree??

200 Marina Blvd
Berkeley, CA, 94710

Ransacked

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • Aliens Ransacked my Room
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 10:21:44 AM »
I just went to their website, and tried to enter a reservation for 2 adults on October 7th (That wednesday) for 4 nights it tells me that the rooms with two beds are not available.  Have they already filled up, or has PSI reserved some of them?

At NPS 2008, the host hotel (Concourse) set aside a bunch of poetry rooms, so when I went to their Website they were all booked up. Then I called them and presto! Reservation.

So I'd recommend calling them. Websites (and the computers that host them) don't have wiggle room. People working at the hotel frequently do.

Denver Slam

• Limerick
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 01:08:23 PM »
Just called. No double doubles available. Best they could do was a king-size plus a roll-away (for an additional $25 a night).
Jen Rinaldi

charlesellik

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 01:25:28 PM »

200 Marina Blvd
Berkeley, CA, 94710

Folks, I won't be able to answer all of these distance-related questions.  There are hundreds, maybe thousands of hotels in the East Bay.  This particular hotel is as far away from our venues and you can physically get and still be in Berkeley.

Here are some general guidelines:

All the hotels in downtown Berkeley are decent, expensive, and walkable.

There are a number of hotels and motels along University Avenue, which is fine if you have a car.  You can catch a public bus, they run all night, but it'll take you half an hour to get to the venues.  You could walk it if you have hiking boots and 45 minutes to spare.  Most of those will be about a $5 cab ride one-way.

I do not suggest any of the motels or hotels on San Pablo Avenue, especially as you head South into Oakland.  Though cheap, it can be an unsavory area.

Emeryville has several LARGE hotels.  They have shuttles.  Emeryville also has a city shuttle bus that runs all night for free and will drop you off either at McAurther BART (two stops from Ashby BART in Berkeley) or at the Bus line that runs all night and goes straight to the venues.  This is NOT walking distance.  It's about a $7 cab ride one-way.

Downtown Oakland (and Jack London Square) has several large hotels.  If you get a hotel on Broadway Ave, you can catch BART or bus back in to Berkeley without any transfers.  Buses run all night, but BART stops at midnight.  It's about a $10 cab ride one-way.

San Francisco has MANY hotels, and many of them aren't as expensive as you might guess.  You can easily catch BART across the Bay for a $7 round trip.  But remember, the BART stops at midnight and it's a $30 cab ride one-way.

There are sometimes apartments and houses for rent for short periods.  Team Oakland usually does this when going to Nationals.  If you have a group of people, it's often much less expensive than a hotel, just as close, plus you can get all kinds of extras like kitchens and pools.  This is up to you, I haven't done the research.

Dahled

• NPS Host City Forum
  • Ballad
    • View Profile
    • Our Myspace
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 08:11:46 PM »

200 Marina Blvd
Berkeley, CA, 94710

easy drive, relatively cheep cab ride, no public transpo, not walkable.

charlesellik

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 05:22:19 PM »
Folks--

--Registration for poets is now closed.

--We've already had more applicants than we can accommodate!  THANK YOU to everyone who signed up, to all the slams who worked so hard to qualify poets and raise funds for their trip!  We're going to put on the biggest, most competitive, most exciting IWPS ever for you!

--Do not despair if you aren't in the main event!  Just book a ticket and join us anyway!  We have 30 side events!  You can still come and get your slam on!

http://iwps.poetryslam.com