Thunderclap

Author Topic: 100 poems in a row with no repeats... come join us...  (Read 2620 times)

bigpoppae

100 poems in a row with no repeats... come join us...
« on: August 23, 2009, 02:48:25 AM »
so, the austin poetry slam has a history of people going as long as they can without repeating.

the first record was set by danny strack. he performed 39 poems in a row without repeating. it took him quite some time. the slam is weekly, and there are three rounds slam, so the most you can do in a week is three if you make it all the way to the third round. that's about 4-5 months with no repeats.

when tony jackson heard about danny's feat, he challenged himself to do the same, and he made it all the way to 40 poems in a row with no repeats.

well, shit... i saw this as a bunch of happy horseshit, so i went and doubled tony's record and did 80 poems in a row with no repeats. it took me about nine months. some weeks, i didn't make it out of the first round, so i could only perform one poem that week. but lots of times, i made the second and third rounds.

danny and i are now racing each other to 100 poems performed in a row with no repeats, and the first person to make it there wins! what do they win? we haven't really thought about that yet, but the audience at the austin poetry slam will certainly hear a whole hell of a lot of poetry from the two of us, lots of old stuff that hasn't been heard in forever, lots of new stuff written on the fly, experimental stuff, golden oldies, greatest hits, and very definitely b-sides.

100 poems in a row without repeating. think you can do it? i freaking challenge you to join us! we start next wednesday.

p.s. and this includes quarter-finals, semi-finals, and finals to make your team, too, so you'd best be holding some shit back to save until then. or else write some new shit!

Chancelier xero Skidmore

• Haiku
    • View Profile
Re: 100 poems in a row with no repeats... come join us...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 10:03:12 PM »
I'd love to get in on this. I've always been aggressive about putting new poems on the stage. But out in Baton Rouge we only do a monthly slam. I actually end up with more poems than I could ever read locally.

I guess the downside to this is that MANY of my poems suck balls. (Not all of them though.)

bigpoppae

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 02:34:00 AM »
here's the thing that occurred to me while reading your response... why is it that something that is to be considered bad is said to "suck balls?" because... i don't know about you, but i think that's actually pretty nice. in fact, i think things that are really pleasurable and kinda awesome should be said to "suck balls."

some examples:

"dude, that new quentin tarantino movie rocked! it totally sucked balls!"

"oh man, you do not want to take me on in street fighter 9 because i totally suck balls at it and will kick your ass!"

now, if someone would say that your poetry is so bad it "kicks you in the dick," then that, my friend, means your poetry is really bad and causes people pain. however, if your poetry "sucks balls," well shit i just might buy your poetry a drink and take it home with me.

tabannon

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • Poets Anonymous K-Zoo
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 12:49:28 PM »
I will put this challenge to the poets at my venue - starting next show.
Todd Bannon

Poets Anonymous K'Zoo
1st and 3rd Mondays:
Papa Pete's Coffee Bar, 502 South Burdick Street
1st and 3rd Wednesdays:
Dino's Coffee Lounge, 773 West Michigan Avenue
Kalamazoo, MI