Author Topic: Making it all known-Feedback please  (Read 5339 times)

The Award Winning DwnTown Poetry Krewe

• Sonnet
  • The Award Winning DwnTown Poetry Krewe
    • View Profile
    • DwnTown Poetry Krewe National Website
Making it all known-Feedback please
« on: August 17, 2009, 04:52:55 PM »
For the record my name is Don "YahFu" Mitchell, I' am the slam master and founder of the Spoken Innovation Poetry Slam of Lafayette, Louisiana, I' am also the founder and former slam master of the Creative Heat Poetry Slam of Lafayette, La in whom new slam master Sarah C. is now slam master of that slam.

Now that we have that understanding and now that the 2009 National Poetry Slam Festival is over, I feel obligated to express my feelings regarding recent activities within our community of poetry here in Lafayette, La.

1st-The sole purpose of me beginning the Creative Heat Poetry Slam in 2009 was to give the community of Lafayette, Louisiana a free poetry slam and to give poets a platform to express themselves.

My 1st order of business was to establish and find at least 5 poets that would serve as my core group of poets because I came to the conclusion that you can not have a series of poetry events without poets.

My 2nd order of business was to promote, I published the creative heat slam in 7 newspaper publications including the largest publication in Lafayette the Times of Acadiana.

My core group of poets also did some networking on behalf of the slam.

Our 1st slam had 7 poets and an audience of 35 people before we got kicked out of the venue in the middle of the show because one owner didn't tell the other owner we had a show there and he was bugging.

that is when we found a new venue which is now the current certified venue of the Sadie's Nightclub of Lafayette, La, a venue I now have no dealings with because of some circumstances that transpired over the pass few months, circumstances that cause 2-5 poets of the original core group not to participate in either of the Creative Heat Slam nor my new poetry slam.

Understand that I feel betrayed and hurt by the current slam master of the Creative Heat Slam Sarah C. because I feel she underminded my authority and went behind my back protesting some allegations to PSI against me, allegations that PSI fail to tell me about because PSI fail to tell me about these allegations, I came to the conclusion that the allegations wasn't that important.

When Sarah C. came to the Creative Heat Poetry Slam, we had an establish slam that averaged 8 poets and 30-35 audience members, we had an established point system, website, poetry group, and we had a good and positive friendship among poets  that was about love and community.

Now the Creative Heat Organization was established that if you have a complaint, you address the complaint to our organization 1st and if we as a team can not come to a conclusion then you go to PSI and other slam masters to get there opinion on the matter.

Sarah C. decided to take her complaints to PSI Steve Marsh and Houston Slam Master Brother Said without consulting the Creative Heat Organization 1st. In the process of her complaints she wanted to become the new slam master and take total control of the slam.

Unaware of her allegations I made her slam master of the Creative heat Poetry Slam and when that happened she changed the entire landscape of the slam, she changed the websites, the structure of the slam, the point system, the group, everything.

I was told by Brother Said that he had a 30 minute conversation with Sarah C and I was told that the nature of that conversation inspired Sarah to change the point system, the structure of the slam and so forth. And I also was told by Brother Said that one of his rules states in order for you to be a slam master you must perform the duties of a slam master.

I' am well aware of the definition and duties of a slam master and I feel that the conversation he had with Sarah triggered a conclusion that was based upon the one sided testimony of someone that who was not part nor had any knowledge of the groundwork that was made before she came on the scene.

That is why I told Brother Said I will deal with him later because he contributed to the self seeking motives of a woman who wanted total control of the Creative Heat Slam and about a city he don't live in and a city he knows nothing about.

Now understand this I' am the new slam master of the Spoken Innovation Poetry Slam, which is a once a month poetry slam every 3rd Friday at Bisbano's Pizza and understand that I have the Spoken Innovation Poetry Slam, Open Mic, Workshops, Street Cypher, and Brave New Voices slams and websites registered and legally copy right in my name, so I won't have to look around and see someone else building websites and changing things around.

I have a venue of the slam every 3rd Friday of the month, I have an open mic every 3rd Tuesday of the month and I have the new Brave new voices slam every 3rd Saturday of the month at the Lafayette Science Museum.

I have the testimony of a lot of poets that did not appreciate the things she did in the community of Lafayette, La and I was told that If I started a new slam some of the slam core groups of poets said they will come to my slam, even through all that I wish Sarah C the best and I hope she is successful in all that she do, last week during the Tuesday night songwriter's and open mic night @ Artmosphere I performed my 3 poems and a fan of poetry came up and said is there anywhere else they performed poetry at in town? Now I could have been selfish got his contact number website and told him about the new slams I establish that will take place in the 3rd week of October, but with Sarah C in the building, I told him she has a slam going on at Sadie's August 19, a slam I will not be participating in, and instructed him to go and talk to her.

After there conversation Sarah came up to me and invited me to the slam at Sadie's, But if I go to her slam that would upset some poets that will come to mine because she has upset some people.

But I have moved on and my request to PSI is to put me back in the slam masters forum because I' am the legal slam master of the Spoken Innovation Poetry Slam and it is my full attention to attend the 2010 National Poetry Slam with a new set of poets I have.

Thank you very much

The Award Winning Dwn Town Poetry Krewe "Home of the Red Beans & Write Poetry Slam Team 
takes place the last Saturday of the month!
@ The AOC Community Media Room
101 Jefferson Street, Suite 100, Lafayette, LA 70501. DwnTownpoetry@gmail.com

Steve

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • The Wordsmith Press
Re: Making it all known-Feedback please
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 10:32:42 PM »
Yahfu,

Every slammaster of a certified or registered venue gets to be in the SlamMasters forum. So far you don't qualify with the new slam. I'm sure you will when you give us $125 and evidence. Until then, nothing we can do about it.

jesster

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Jesse Parent
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 11:15:47 AM »
Yahfu,

Every slammaster of a certified or registered venue gets to be in the SlamMasters forum. So far you don't qualify with the new slam. I'm sure you will when you give us $125 and evidence. Until then, nothing we can do about it.

Agreed. The SM forum is for SlamMasters of certified slams. Although starting over is frustrating, this is part of the process.

There's nothing very interesting going on in that forum, anyway. By the time you get your money and 6 pieces of evidence in, we should be getting ready for Spring SM.

-Jesster

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 11:27:20 AM »
I agree totally with you in regards to the slam masters forum, but understand I did not take an whole hour writing down all these circumstances that transpired just for the purpose of getting back on the slam master forum, there are other deeper and more troubling things that transpired that I choose not to post here. I' am also protesting that the actions of the new slam master caused a division among the poets, and made a lot of people upset in the process, People that was so upset that just didn't like the way she went about in taking over the slam.That is more important to me than just getting back on the slam masters forum
The Award Winning Dwn Town Poetry Krewe "Home of the Red Beans & Write Poetry Slam Team 

Mike Simms

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 11:48:28 AM »
So are you asking for a meeting of the tribunal, where the EC convicts Sara to a sentence of death by bad poems? I am not certain but I don’t think the EC has a way to “punish” people. From your side of the story, she did some fucked up things, you did what you had to do which is start a new slam, you also cleared the air to perhaps avoid any reputational damage.

I think that’s where it stops; I don’t think PSi policies “beef”

Get it poppin for 2010, and do your best to keep your scene together,

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 12:06:51 PM »
I truly appreciate the feedback, and understand that I went to great lengths to understand why would she protest some allegations against me when I did not do nothing wrong to begin with, And more what really confused me about the whole ordeal was if the purpose of her allegations was to become the new slam master why didn't she bring it to the Creative Heat Organization when in fact it was my intentions to make her slam master to begin with because 2 weeks before the allegations surfaced I told her I wanted her to be slam master of the slam. I feel blindsided.

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 12:22:24 PM »
Oh and another thing I need to make known even though Sarah, a few other poets, and I had a big fall out because of this, I still encouraged and pleaded to the poets to continue to support her slam because in the end it is about the community and poetry, Mike Guinn told me that it would be good for the community that both of our slams be successful, that is why I still promote her slam as well as mine because her being successful would be good for the community I think.

TSPrunier

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/slamrichmond
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 09:16:39 AM »
YahFu,

Most won't post it here, but more people than you know - SMs and otherwise - feel what you've been through. Check the slam registry - across the country there are several small communities with two slams that don't necessarily need them.

It is the EC's (and by extension, PSi's) policy to stay out of local beefs, and I can understand why -- they happen all the time. We're a collection of artists, and some of us by golly just don't get along with other people (imagine that). If PSi had to weigh in on "this one is a fraud" and "that one's talking shit behind my back," nothing would get done. Nothing. Besides, who would pay for the airfare to travel to each city and hear the complaints?

Just don't let this happen: Three factions - one group with the old slam, one group with the new slam and one group not slamming or reading at all. The last group tends to be the largest when drama rears its ugly head, and cripples a poetry community. Takes a couple of years to bring things back to normal.

Sounds like you and Sarah might benefit from talking to one another, and not other people. Granted, if you did speak, and events transpired as they did no matter what, you have to agree to disagree and move on. Looks like after all you've been through, venues dropping out and all that, that you've persevered. That's more than I can say for myself, as I gave up being a SM after two years and am just getting back to reading after a two year hiatus.

I wish you the best of luck and encourage you to keep writing and doing what you do. It's comforting AND disturbing to know these things go on all over the country. I wish I could tell everyone to grow the fuck up, but that would mean taking sides when I wasn't there to see who did what - even in my own little burg.

Etc.

BeverlyWilkinson

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • http://brags2bitches.livejournal.com
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 01:21:24 PM »
I second what Tom just said because we both went through it about the same time.

Truth is, drama happens and venues split off to form new venues which has gotten so common that no one cares what the catalyst was in these situations.  No one really wants to take sides either.  Right now, you are heartbroken because someone you trusted schemed behind your back.  It happens and not everyone can see this the same way you can.

Focus on your night and providing the best envrionment for your poets.  The rest will take care of itself. I promise.
Beverly A. Wilkinson
Host City Chairwoman
2010 WOWps
Columbus, Ohio
wow.poetryslam.com
wordslave@gmail.com
http://brags2bitches.livejournal.com

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 01:58:49 PM »
Thank you very much, I truly feel at ease to understand that I' am not the only one going through this, as a matter of fact I talk to Sarah last week for about 5 minutes and last night one her poets pleaded with me to come to her open mic tonight, but I have prior arrangements. I just felt a need to get it off my chest, I have moved on.

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 06:45:13 PM »
In an attempt to make peace for the community, and after attempts from Sarah and a few other poets, I have decided to show my support and went performed at the Creative Heat Back to school open mic hosted by Sarah C at Sadies...After all the confusion and activities that wen on the pass few months I came to the conclusion that my love for poetry and the community of Lafayette, La goes much deeper than anything else that matter. So I made peace with 2 poets that was caught up in the confusion...I simply came to the conclusion to forget about who is right or wrong and start the healing process so we can all learn from our mistakes and love each other despite our differences

jesster

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Jesse Parent
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 05:40:03 PM »
Awesome!

You should totally start a blog.

-Jesster

TSPrunier

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/slamrichmond
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 12:31:50 AM »
... I came to the conclusion that my love for poetry and the community of Lafayette, La goes much deeper than anything else that matter...

Yah Fu,

That's so comforting to hear. Glad we were able to help.

Looking forward to shaking your hand in the future,

TSP

Chancelier xero Skidmore

• Haiku
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 10:21:32 PM »
Also, Yah Fu, I'm not sure but I think the name Brave New Voices is a trademarked name that belongs to Youth Speaks, the organization that holds the event. Here in Baton Rouge we have a monthly youth slam called Freshhhh Heat, which you know, and our annual youth slam festival called ALL CITY. We send a team to Brave New Voices, but we don't use their name for our event.

My advise is that you come up with an original name for your youth slam. I wouldn't want to see you get caught up in any legal problems and have to change your name after your local community has gotten used to it.

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 11:08:18 AM »
Cool thanks for the info Xero, I will use the name Spoken Innovation Youth Slam for all future promotions