Thunderclap

Author Topic: Official NPS 2009 announcement  (Read 4556 times)

Steve

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • The Wordsmith Press
Official NPS 2009 announcement
« on: April 01, 2009, 09:48:45 AM »
This is the official announcement that we will be headed to West Palm Beach, FLORIDA for NPS 2009 August 4-8, 2009. This is the first time that PSi will be solely responsible for virtually all the details of the tournament and the rest of the festival as well. Chris Imperial is likely to be creating and promoting side events around the event, but these are not part of the official PSi event. They are not hosted by, or endorsed by PSi, but it is important to know that, as a community, we welcome his additional promotion and marketing around our flagship event. We encourage you to participate in those events as well.

EC, almost exclusively through the on-the-ground work of Henry Sampson, has had contact with several key volunteers in the Southern Florida area in support of this event. We thank those volunteers and we will be working in close contact with them. If you are a South Florida person interested in assisting, contact PSi directly.

This is all a new business model for PSi. But it is one that gives PSi full control over the event and full responsibility for its success or failure. Please join us in WPB to help us with the experiment that is the continuing evolution of National Poetry Slam.

BTW, now that side events are on our plate too, we are in a position to begin to seek sponsors for some of those events. The Wordsmith Press has started the process by offering a cash prize for the Head to Head Haiku event. If you would like to sponsor an event, or you think you can sell a sponsorship to someone, contact Scott Woods who has volunteered to create the side event slate for NPS 2009.

Here we go.

Kunal Arora

• Haiku
  • Poetry Noobie
    • View Profile
Re: Official NPS 2009 announcement
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 07:00:43 PM »
Alright, I didn't come across a FAQ thread so I'm just going to ask my noob questions here  :P 

I love slam and I need a vacation so I'm considering going down to FL to see the NPS!  The only problem is, I have absolutely no idea how I'm supposed to go about doing that.  Aside from airfare and hotel stuff, is there anything else I need to worry about?  Can I just stroll in that week and watch?  Do I have to buy tickets for individual days?

Can anyone give me a basic rundown of what I need to do in order to spectate the NPS?

Dahled

• NPS Host City Forum
  • Ballad
    • View Profile
    • Our Myspace
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 09:34:12 PM »
there're a couple ways to go about it but if you're making the trip specifically for the festival then by all means buy a festival pass. that'll get you into everything you want without the hassle of paying individual door charges. i'm not sure you can make that purchase online, but it'll be easy enough in person once you get there. folks will be easy to find - just ask at the hotel front desk if there's not a big sign in the lobby. once you get your pass there'll be a book to go with it you just pick which events you want to go to and have at it. the picking which event is the hard part. they'll probably have a better idea of the schedule up soon on the site - http://nps2009.com/

Scott Woods

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.scottwoodswrites.net
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 10:27:29 PM »
Dahled is correct: still a lot of planning going on, but you WILL be able to buy a week-long pass for everything online before NPS starts.
Keep your eye on that site.

Steve

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • The Wordsmith Press
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 06:15:06 AM »
Many of these decisions and arrangements will be made in May. The store will reflect those things very soon.

Kunal Arora

• Haiku
  • Poetry Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 09:06:05 PM »
folks will be easy to find - just ask at the hotel front desk if there's not a big sign in the lobby.

Which hotel?  And typically how much does a week long pass cost?

Dahled

• NPS Host City Forum
  • Ballad
    • View Profile
    • Our Myspace
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 10:50:20 PM »
It's the mariott - check nps2009.com - the specifics are there including a link to the hotel's site. that'll give you the where but if you're making reservations do so here@ the store on this site and I believe you'll even get a discount.

edmabrey

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • http://blackpearlpoetry.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 03:03:34 PM »
When will the list of teams that are going be posted and where on this forum please?
lack Pearl Poetry
"Let The Words Speak for Themselves"

jesster

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Jesse Parent
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 09:11:58 PM »
When will the list of teams that are going be posted and where on this forum please?

Some of us are still waiting for the store to get the packaged registration/hotel item so we can pay our balance.

-Jesster

Kunal Arora

• Haiku
  • Poetry Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 11:59:06 PM »
When will the week-long pass be available?