THANK YOU. Phoenix, Cassie, Aricka, you put on an amazing show once again. I know I don't know how much work and devotion went into it, but I appreciate it anyway. Columbus is gonna have some big (and stylish) shoes to fill!
My WoW top ten:
1. Dee Matthews ran one of the coolest workshops I've ever attended, two years in a row. She created an environment where women who were competing against each other offered honest, constructive feedback and helped each other grow. That's a damn impressive feat.
2. Will Evans's poem at Beauty vs. Brawn.
3. Janis Joplin singalong on the top floor before the security guards made us move.
4. The Youth Slam winner TORE IT UP. Can someone remind me what her name was? Everyone needs to watch out for her in the years to come.
5. Chair trolley racing. Which I am never allowed to do again. Nuff said.
6. Those were MY red cowboy boots on the finals stage!
7. Working poems in the hotel room with Dane, Jo, Lauren, and Michelle. Not to get too "sisterhood is powerful" on y'all, but I adore how supportive WoWPS as a whole is. Everyone wanted everyone else to do well, which is why the bouts were so hot, every time.
8. The endless patience, love, and willingness to give rides that ALL the Detroit crew showed.
9. Electric slide!
10. Pretty much every piece at finals, but especially Dee's New Orleans piece, Gypsee Yo's last poem, and the winning piece from Rachel McKibbens. That was one beautiful slam.