Author Topic: And Now for something completely different  (Read 10157 times)

bobdapoet

• Ballad
    • View Profile
    • Anthology, inc.
And Now for something completely different
« on: September 08, 2008, 12:19:56 PM »
And in a completely unrelated to poetry note, who are you rooting for for the baseball playoffs this year?

Steve

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • The Wordsmith Press
Re: And Now for something completely different
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 01:01:57 PM »
sigh.......

bobdapoet

• Ballad
    • View Profile
    • Anthology, inc.
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 02:36:08 PM »
sorry.. there are a couple people around here at the office that are crying about it too...

FARNSWORTH?!?

Bob Whoopeecat Stephenson

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • The Poetry Grind
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 09:26:42 PM »
I won't mind having to deal with a cross town "L" series when I'm in Chicago the next to last week in October.   That's because the Rangers were mathematically eliminated in June, of 2001.
Whoopeecat
Slam Master
Dallas-Poetry Grind

TSPrunier

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/slamrichmond
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 09:42:36 PM »
As a Yankee fan, it's nice to see the Giambi, A-Rod and Randy Johnson trades finally catching up with them. They did Torre wrong and it looks like he's taking the Dodgers to the playoffs, Manny-being-Manny and all.

Heck, it's already football season for me. Giants are 1-0.  ;D

Sharon Skinner

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonskinner.com
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 05:56:58 PM »
Yeah. As a life-long Yankees fan, I miss Joe, too, But I'm glad he's having some success, albeit, I'd prefer he be successful with the Yankees first, then ANY team other than LA after that. But so goes the world.
Be regular and orderly in your life so that you may be violent and original
in your work. -Gustave Flaubert, novelist (1821-1880)

Steve

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • The Wordsmith Press
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 06:11:21 PM »
sigh......

amcehn

• Epic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 06:08:36 PM »
How come so many poets are Yankee Fans? Seems odd.....
Abigail Ehn, Executive Director, PSi
115-1 Rock Ridge Cir
MAFB, ND 58704
(701) 727-6324
psimember@charter.net

Steve

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • The Wordsmith Press
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 07:46:43 AM »
SO...that AL playoff. Is that cool? Defending champs vs last year's worst team? I'm so fired up for both teams (Tigers....sigh).

Red Sox Nation is fired up. Tampa Bay is beside itself.

But Cubs and White Sox, I mean, really, why can't Chicago get any respect?

Phillies and Dodgers, Phillies and Dodgers. I don't get many points for prediction in this sport, but I can't see either Phillies or Dodgers beating EITHER Boston or Tampa Bay in a long series.

Do I have that about right? Where are the experts here?

bobdapoet

• Ballad
    • View Profile
    • Anthology, inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 01:35:37 PM »
I'll bite, as a life-long Boston Fan...

the Rays will be tough, they have been tough all year, the White Sox should not feel badly about their performance, they really were up against a tough team (first round draft picks for 10 years will eventually do that).

Can they beat the Sox? Yeah.

Will They? Maybe, but if the games are close there's alot of post game experience now in Boston to be wary of.

On the other side:

This is what the Phillies SHOULD have done last year, before getting choked by the Rockies. Cubs (also read= Angels fans) fans should be angry, not because of 100 years or any of that, that they paid all that in admission fees and got a goose egg for the second year in a row in the Post Season.

But LA is not a bad team, they were a good team performing poorly before Manny's arrival, now they are a team performing to expectations. Pitching will be key for the Dodgers, i think they have the goods to get by the Phillies. But I also think the Phillies have the goods to get by the Dodgers if the dodgers slump.

No matter what. McCourt now HAS to resign Manny at rediculous money or face certain death at the hands of the Chavez Ravine- Faithful, since regardless of the reality, everyone in LA sees manny as a Savior.

My Call- Dodgers/Sox for World Series

It goes 7 games, with Game 7 in Boston coming down to the 9th inning, Jason Bay at bat, putting a ball into left field that Manny will be unable to field because he has slipped into the green monster to talk to Scott boras on his cel phone about his money situation.

The Dodger will then sign Manny to 4 years, $100 million.

Steve

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • The Wordsmith Press
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 02:31:44 PM »
Great prediction, Bob.

As much as I'd like to say the Rays take it all (don't all Americans love the underdog?), I have to say they are a lot like the tigers of yore. Not quire ready yet. Sox over Rays in 6.

On the other side, I'm even less confident than before. I think it is Philly (although I can't say why other than season record is moderately better and injuries are less severe and not on key players...ok, ok, it is a narrow distinction)

Sox/Phillies, Sox in 6, no blood on a pitcher's sock, no real controversy except a broken collar bone when "The Littlest Phillie," Victorino, is tagged out at the plate by Varitek.

And if that comes true I'll kick myself for not buying the lotto ticket today.

TSPrunier

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/slamrichmond
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 11:22:30 PM »
I had no predictions for this postseason. The Red Sox are defending champs, but Tampa Bay seems a team of destiny - perhaps like those Tigers Steve speaks of.

I'm disappointed that Philadelphia is wasting the sports world's time again. There is a mathematical chance that I am wrong, but with the Phillies and Rays each holding 3-1 leads in their LCS's, one imagines we'll have the Team of Destiny, Perhaps Too Soon, against the Team From Losertown, Ready to Disappoint Once Again.

I understand Philly is looking good, and Ryan Howard's a beast, but the Rays' bats are pretty damned hot right now. We'll see what the hypewagon does to these teams between series.

Sorry, Red Sox Nation: Yankee fan telling you there will be no comeback. You're done. No Manny, no Champy.

And I'm sorry to see Torre about to miss the Fall Classic once again.

Whatevah.

Steve

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • The Wordsmith Press
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 06:37:32 AM »
So, it won't be the Sox in 6. But there will be a game 6. What a comeback last night. I turned it off when Boston was down by 7. I wake up this morning to see they came back and forced a game 6. Buckner just changed teams???

bobdapoet

• Ballad
    • View Profile
    • Anthology, inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 09:03:26 AM »
the post season is about Pitching...

And while I remain cautiously optimistic that the Hometown Team can complete the comeback...

Mr. Becket will need to comply tomorrow night... and he's not been at the top of his game lately, and I do not believe it have been a ploy for dramatic baseball.

Should I even try to suggest that it won't happen, I would think a Rays/Phillies World Series would be much more epic than I think people would give it credit for. I definitley plan to watch regardless of how the ALDS turns out.

bobdapoet

• Ballad
    • View Profile
    • Anthology, inc.
Dissappointed
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 10:32:08 AM »
While I am disappointed in the result of last night's game, I am thinking that this WS might just be one to watch... Anybody care to call the result?