Author Topic: 2008 Southwest Shootout Results  (Read 3172 times)

Bob Whoopeecat Stephenson

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • The Poetry Grind
2008 Southwest Shootout Results
« on: June 25, 2008, 05:18:24 PM »
As I am needing a few days vacation to recoop from my vacation, These are the results from the
Southwest Shootout Regional Poetry Slam held in Dallas, Tx June 19-21st

15 teams competed

Albuquerque, Amarillo, Austin, Austin Neo Soul, Bryan College Station, Corpus Christie
Dallas, Denver-Mercury, Denver Slam Nuba, Ft Worth, Houston, Louisiana Unified (Pick up Team)
Oklahoma City, Phoenix, Silver City.

Denver Slam Nuba, Denver Mercury, Austin and Bryan College Station advanced to the Final Round on Saturday

Denver Slam Nuba was the Champion!

Individual Champion was determined by representatives from each team competing in a
Sudden Death, Head to Head, Single Elimination Win or Go Home Competition.
Joaquin Zihuatanejo from Lousiana Unified (Pick up Team) won the Indy competition

Haiku Death Match Champion was non other than Mr. Ed Mabrey!

Other important stats, 32 gallons of beer and 5 bottles of Vodka were consumed in 2 days.  One set of car keys was fished from certain death out of a storm drain with bungee chords, a winning haiku included a reference to a "tazerd dog", and 3 teams were ejected from the host hotel @ 4am on Saturday due to excessive frevolity. 

It was a fantastic weekend of poetry!  Many thanks from the Dallas Crew to the poets and entourage that traveled for the event.  We hope to do another festival event in 2009.

always and gratefully yours

Bob Whoopeecat Stephenson 
Whoopeecat
Slam Master
Dallas-Poetry Grind

Sam Castello

• Ballad
    • View Profile
    • Poetry Bread - You Knead It
Re: 2008 Southwest Shootout Results
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 01:20:10 PM »
Haiku Death Match Champion was non other than Mr. Ed Mabrey!
I gotta give a shout-out to Silver City's own Damien Davies for coming in second to the Champ! No shame when you loose to Ed Mabrey, and plenty to be proud of as Damien pulled out from the losers bracket and had to claw his way to the final Head to Head!
and 3 teams were ejected from the host hotel @ 4am on Saturday due to excessive frevolity. 
Again, way to go Team Silver City!