Author Topic: NPS 2008 Needs MCs and Bout Managers  (Read 3959 times)

edaniel

• Slammasters
  • Epic
    • View Profile
    • PSi
NPS 2008 Needs MCs and Bout Managers
« on: May 26, 2008, 10:07:08 PM »
If you are an experienced and energetic showperson, PSi wants your help.

If you lost your NPS qualifier but still want to experience the awesome show that is NPS, be an MC !

If you have been thinking, "How do I get involved in the organization ?" Be a Bout Manager !

If you have Bout Managed for PSI before and are looking to step up to MC, now is your chance!

Requirements: PSi membership (You can get this here on the web site!), A lot of MC experience, a good attitude, the ability to show up in Madison on time, working knowledge of NPS rules a plus. PriorWoWPS, IWPS or NPS experience is valued but not a requirement.

There are a limited number of spots for MCs and bout managers at NPS so get your name in early. You will receive a volunteer pass to the event which gives you access to all day and evening events (and usually the finals), just like the poets, and possibly more stage time than the poets themselves !

There will be an  daily meetings for MCs and Bout Managers starting on Tuesday.  Attendance at the meeting is mandatory, if you can't make the meeting, you can't MC.  You will also be required to attend 1 of the 2 NPS Orientation meetings.

When: August3-9  (BOUTS START ON TUESDAY NOW!)
Where: Madison, Wisconsin

If you are still interested,sign up here!

Please feel free to pass this on to other boards, blogs,etc.

Thanks,
Erik Daniel

succulentpoet

• PSI Members
  • Limerick
    • View Profile
    • Vancouver Poetry House
Re: NPS 2008 Needs MCs and Bout Managers
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 11:27:13 PM »
I am definitely into volunteering somehow. Let me know where you need me. I have a fair bit of experience hosting, but I can certainly BM as well.
You RAT BASTARD - you're ruining for everyone!
But it was WELL WORTH IT.

edaniel

• Slammasters
  • Epic
    • View Profile
    • PSi
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 06:29:14 AM »
We are still looking for people.  Remember, you don't need experience to sign-up. We will teach you!

Sign up for the list using the link in the first post, and you will be put on the email list.

Ransacked

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • Aliens Ransacked my Room
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 08:50:52 AM »
What does a Bout Manager do?  Could I bout-manage without having to be on stage?

simone

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Boston Poetry Slam
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 09:16:37 PM »
The bout manager's job is to preserve the integrity of the bout and to assist the MC in off-stage duties. There's no stage time unless the MC asks you to do the warm-up poem.

In most cases, this means the BM is responsible for selecting judges before the bout, corralling performers and judges throughout the bout, managing/utilizing other volunteers (runners, scorekeepers, etc.), and watching the bout carefully for rules violations --or perceived rules violations. In some cases, the BM also might check score math, help with mid-bout rule or rotation clarifications, prepare letters for the bout draw, bring the MC more beer, but not too much beer, etc.

Obviously, a good working knowledge of the official rules is helpful, as is a willingness to approach strangers and ask them to quantify art. And outside of Erik's gratitude, it's a largely thankless job; however, if you like being responsible for a good show, or plan to MC someday, I highly recommend it.

This might sound corny, but I think it is super-fun to be behind the scenes at NPS or IWPS. Competing at a large event is exciting, but the bigger the slam, the more intense the pressure... Volunteering at these events really put a different spin on the fun for me. And regardless of who wins, anyone involved in managing a good bout properly can leave the venue feeling great.

ANYONE who is even thinking about doing this should let Erik know. It's way more fun than you think work should be.

(Also, Ransacked? I will totally be your reference.)
Simone Beaubien
SlamMaster, Boston Poetry Slam

Ransacked

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • Aliens Ransacked my Room
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 10:23:40 PM »
My main reason for asking for clarification on this forum was to avoid bugging my SlamMaster with yet another newbie question. Obviously my plan had flaws.

Thanks, Simone.

AmyD

• Ballad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 10:43:53 PM »
Let me just second what Simone said -- it is REALLY fun.  I was a BM in 2006, and it was a great way to be part of the show without actually competing.