Author Topic: Travel advice for NPS 2008?  (Read 3708 times)

Ransacked

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • Aliens Ransacked my Room
Travel advice for NPS 2008?
« on: May 04, 2008, 12:51:31 PM »
Hi everybody!

I'm a poetry-slam newbie who hopes to travel to NPS 2008 and see what all the fuss is about.  I'll be going as a spectator or perhaps a volunteer (something to do) so I don't think I need to be there for slam orientation or registration.  Do volunteers go to orientation?

The dates are Aug 3-9.  I'm planning to fly in the afternoon of August 2 and fly out the morning of Aug 10.  Is that what people do?  Do I miss a lot if I fly in the morning of August 3rd?  It would save me about $100 in airfare, plus shave one night (~$120) off of my hotel bill.

I'm registered with Dasha Kelly's mailing list, so I think I'll get the final schedule when she has it.  But gas prices being what they are, I'd like to book my flight as soon as possible.

Thanks.

inkera

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Slamcharlotte
Re: Travel advice for NPS 2008?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 06:32:35 PM »
Peace and Blessings_

Travel arrangements for everyone will vary depending on their role at NPS and their finances. The actual competition starts on Tuesday, 5 August. If you are volunteering, make sure you go to www.nps2008.com and sign up. There is normally a volunteer sign-in/meeting, though I'm unsure of the dates and time.

Here is a tentative schedule for Sunday and Monday.

Sunday, August 3, 2008 (This event is in Milwaukee)
7-Midnight   Milwaukee PreGame Challenge
Since “MIPS” couldn’t be nearly as cool as what Dallas pulled off in ’06 and ’07, we’re taking a different approach to get our sister city involved.  This will be a version of Milwaukee’s “Last Poet Standing” tradition.  Individual poets are randomly assembled into three teams.  A poet from each team is called to spit 60-second of their work and the audience “votes off” one poet at a time, until one poet remains.  That poet will win $1000, and everyone on their team will win $100.  In addition, each team will represent a local charity group (Wisconsin Coalition on Domestic Abuse, Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin & Wisconsin Literacy).  The Last Poet’s charity will receive a donation of $1,000, and the other two charities will receive $500.  We will provide a shuttle from Milwaukee to Madison on Monday morning. Milwaukee hotel will be approx. $85.

Monday, August 4, 2008
9a - 5   Registration
2 – 3 pm       NPS Orientation
3:30–5:30 pm      Film Screenings
8-10 pm   Kickoff Event:  Battle of the Poetry Rockstars
   This will likely change, since it’s too similar to the newly-minted annual event, The Decathlon
10 – Until   KickOff Party

Hopefully this information will assist you in making your decision about when to arrive in Madison.

Until we meet (again)_

inkera

I love me MORE.......the campaign

AmyD

• Ballad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 07:02:39 PM »
Is there a second orientation on Tuesday?  If so, what time?

Dasha Kelly

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • http://stillwaterscollective.com
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 01:53:43 AM »
Monday at 2pm
Tuesday at 10 am

dnk

Faldwin

• Limerick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 12:12:53 AM »
You might also save some money by flying into Chicago and taking a bus to Madison.  Most of the good deals on airfare are between the major airports.

Dasha Kelly

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • http://stillwaterscollective.com
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 05:37:05 PM »
Flying

... into Madison

Dane County Regional Airport services most major airline carriers. The airport is less than 15 minutes away from downtown and both hotels offer free shuttles.

... into Milwaukee

Badgerbus.com for shuttles from Milwaukee's General Mitchell Airport.  Roundtrip is $34.

... into Chicago

Wisconsincoach.com forshuttles from Chicago's O'Hare and/or Midway Airports.  Roundtrips are approximately $55.

jesster

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Jesse Parent
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 02:28:35 PM »
Monday at 2pm
Tuesday at 10 am

dnk

Sweet!  I needed this info!!

As a reminder to one and all, most airlines are charging for a second bag ($25).  American Airlines charges $15 for checking in 1 bag, starting June 15.  I believe if you buy tickets now, the fee does not apply.

Southwest and Frontier do not currently charge anything for checking in two bags.

Here's a good article on the new rules and how to avoid extra charges.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24761262/

-Jesster