Main > General Discussion

What's the slam scene in Philadelphia?

(1/3) > >>

Ransacked:
Can it really be that my hometown, the fourth or fifth-largest city in the US, has no regular poetry slam?

I know that UPenn has a strong reading series at Poets' House in West Philly, and a Google search reveals a fair number of open mics (some poetry, some whatever).  And this summer I know there was some sponsored slam by Adidas and Rockport shoes (???)  But there doesn't seem to be anything regular or PSI-affiliated.

Understand that if I'm digging into some misbegotten tale of intrigue, it's purely by accident.  I just find it odd that there are 2 weekly slams in Boston/Cambridge, but none in Philly.

Steve:
In the past, yes. But now? Not so much.

MattMason:
I know, I was in Philly last year and was surprised I couldn't find a slam.  They can only dream of being as cool and cultured as us here in Omaha.

suziqsmith:
hrmph . . . I'll be in Philly in a couple of weeks, it is a shame that I won't be able to check out a slam.

Ransacked:

--- Quote from: MattMason on February 23, 2008, 09:55:58 PM ---I know, I was in Philly last year and was surprised I couldn't find a slam.  They can only dream of being as cool and cultured as us here in Omaha.

--- End quote ---

Your cows dream of being our cheesesteaks, Matt.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version