Author Topic: Can we speak frankly for a sec?  (Read 2605 times)

Delrica

• Epic
  • Follicles, mayne!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.4luvofpoetry.com
Can we speak frankly for a sec?
« on: October 22, 2007, 12:56:11 PM »
Can we speak frankly for a minute?

I've been trying to figure this out for a minute and I simply don't get it...

Why do poets (self proclaimed or otherwise) intentionally misspell common words like in the following sentence (constructed for this exercise so as to not use a real example):

eye instead of i/no instead of know/write instead of right/etc. (as in "eye no this isn't the write way to right this sentence but their is good reason")?

Is it a basic level of comprehension of English grammar and spelling or are we, as writers, becoming lethargic in our use of the English language?
Is it intentional or no?
Is it a way to display creativity within our work?

I'm just curious.

If this ruffles feathers, I apologize. But I need to understand; really I do.
*The views expressed by Delrica are not that of PSi nor the Executive Council. Her gems are her own...deal with it*

bobdapoet

• Ballad
    • View Profile
    • Anthology, inc.
Re: Can we speak frankly for a sec?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 01:04:49 PM »
I will speak candidly as well...

I am a horrible speller... horrible. coarse/course will be the death of me. In my case, I am purely not taking the time to stop and edit my work as I go, usually because I am trying to acconplish multiple things at the same time.

Which is not an excuse, it is a matter of my nature. Which is opposite of my better half, who works diligently to edit appropriatley and has no qualms about coming after me when I print or send out "official" documents that look like they were written by a ten year old.

My community regularly chastises me for some misspelling/misuse of words... I am horrible, I should be exiled to Spelling Island.

bobdapoet

• Ballad
    • View Profile
    • Anthology, inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 01:05:28 PM »
SEE!!!! I did it again!!!!

suziqsmith

• Epic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 06:12:41 PM »
From time to time, I do spell words differently - always intentionally - particularly to emphasize the specific phonetics.

Such as the word 'cuz', which I use regularly . . .

I prefer cuz to 'cause (as in because) . . . in my mind, they are the same word, only pronounced slightly differently, and if someone is reading my work, I want them to hear it the way I would say it.  And I don't say 'cause' with an open 'ah', I say 'cuz', emphasis on the 'uuh'.

However - I am with Delrica . . . know eye-dea y u wood use the wrong word if it sounds the same.  Perhaps because we are an eccentric bunch.

I do, however, LOVE to make up new words - particularly brand spankin' new curse words - after all, isn't that what my poetic license is for?  ;D

Delrica

• Epic
  • Follicles, mayne!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.4luvofpoetry.com
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 08:17:50 PM »

I do, however, LOVE to make up new words - particularly brand spankin' new curse words - after all, isn't that what my poetic license is for?  ;D

That is EXACTLY what poetic license is for!

Abso-freakin'-lutely
*The views expressed by Delrica are not that of PSi nor the Executive Council. Her gems are her own...deal with it*