Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/pslam/forums/public_html/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Worcester, MA - Poets' Asylum

Author Topic: Worcester, MA - Poets' Asylum  (Read 6989 times)

Rev. Bill Macmillan

• Awards Committee
  • Ballad
    • View Profile
    • Worcester Poets' Asylum
Worcester, MA - Poets' Asylum
« on: September 17, 2007, 11:12:14 PM »
Worcester Poetry Slam – Poets’ Asylum
Java Hut
1073 - A Main St.
Worcester, Ma 01603
508-752-1678
http://www.poetsasylum.org

Here's the structure for the 2007/2008 Worcester Slam season:

1. Eight open qualifying slams will be held between September 2007 and April 2008. Each slam will be 2 3-minute rounds and will allow 8 poets to compete. Open Slams will follow the standard format outlined in the MC spiel, which is posted on our website.

Slam dates for the 2008 season

September 16, 2007       
October 14, 2007       
November 11, 2007       
December 16, 2007       
January 13, 2008
February 17, 2008
March 2, 2008
April 13, 2008

Winter Semi-final - December 23, 2007       
Spring Semi-final - May 4, 2008
2008 Team Finals - May 25, 2008
* 2008 slam dates subject to change

2. The two competitors with the highest cumulative score after two rounds each slam will advance to one of two semi-final bouts - the Winter Semi-Final in December and the Spring Semi-Final in May.

Each Semi-Final will be a two 3-minute round slam. The top 4 finishers will move on to finals (May '08).

3. The top four finishers in each semi-final slam will move on to the 2008 Worcester Slam Team Final in May 2008.

Finals will be three 3-minute rounds. The top 5 finishers will become the 2008 Worcester Slam Team with the 5th place finisher acting as the alternate. All 5 will travel to Nationals.

4. There is a no-repeat rule in effect between rounds. The 2 poems each person qualified with can not be used in semis or finals. The 2 poems used in semis can not be used in finals.

In essence this means that each poet will need at least 7 slam poems to successfully compete all the way through finals.

5. Poets going to finals must commit to being on the Worcester team (should they win a spot) at the close of semi-finals or withdraw. If they withdraw the next poet in the semi-final bout will compete in finals.

6. All competitors must complete a contact & poems used card when they slam, regardless of whether they move during the qualifier or not. These cards will be used to track what poems are used in conjunction with the no-repeat rule.

The host is responsible for making sure this info is requested of the slammers. The slammers are responsible for returning the cards with their contact info before the slam begins. The cards will be used to draw the order.

After the order is drawn the cards will be returned to the competitors. Following the slam the competitors need to fill in the title of the poems used (or the first line of the poem if the poem is untitled) and return them to the host. If the cards are not returned then the slammer is disqualified from that slam and is not eligible to move on to the next round.

7. In the event that a poet drops out of semi-finals we will replace them with the next finisher from their qualifier in the order of finish. For example, if the second place poet in the October qualifier drops out of the Winter semis then the third place poet will take their place. If the third place poet has already qualified in another open slam then the fourth place poet would move up and so on.

8. Following finals should a team member drop off the team the alternate would replace them. If a second person had to drop out then the next finisher from finals would join the team. Should it be necessary to replace more than 4 poets (thus exhausting finishers 4-8 from finals) we will hold a "last chance slam" to replace the missing team member.

As with all competitions there are rules to follow. Worcester follows the rules as laid out by PSI with respect to time penalties, etc.

This information and all slam scores are posted on our website.
http://www.poetsasylum.org/slam.html#STRUCT

"My sense of God is my sense of wonder about the universe"
-Albert Einstein

Rev. Bill Macmillan

• Awards Committee
  • Ballad
    • View Profile
Re: Worcester, MA - Poets' Asylum
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 11:52:02 AM »
As of December 30, 2007 the Poets' Asylum will be held at The Q.

The Q
362 Chandler St.
Worcester, MA  01602
(508) 757-0411
http://www.poetsasylum.org
http://theqma.com/

All slams will happen as planned.
The rest of the structure remains unchanged.

-Albert Einstein

Rev. Bill Macmillan

• Awards Committee
  • Ballad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 05:54:25 PM »
Worcester will not be fielding a team for NPS 2010.
We are taking a year away from NPS to rebuild our finances & focus on our 20th anniversary celebration. 

Worcester plans on fielding a rep to iWPS & hopes to have a team at NPS 2011.
As always, we are still running our weekly reading & are always looking for poets to stop on in.

-Rev. Bill MacMillan
Slammaster - Worcester Poets' Asylum

-Albert Einstein

Rev. Bill Macmillan

• Awards Committee
  • Ballad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 08:49:04 AM »
Worcester's 2010-11 slam season starts this sunday, Sept. 26.

the slam selection process for the Worcester Poetry Slam can be found on our website.
http://poetsasylum.org/slam.html

this section includes all Worcester Slam info including rules, all slam dates, MC spiel, & an archive of scores from past years.

-Rev. Bill MacMillan
Slammaster - Worcester
-Albert Einstein