Author Topic: NPS bulletin board  (Read 3651 times)

Ransacked

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • Aliens Ransacked my Room
NPS bulletin board
« on: July 15, 2008, 08:00:27 PM »
In happier days, I used to go to a lot of outdoor folk music festivals.  A hallmark of such festivals was a large cork bulletin board by the first aid tent where people would post stuff such as:

Joe Davis! We're in the green tent over by the really big tipi. Come say hi, Sharon & Gary.

Anybody have a spare 1L propane tank for a Flame-o-matic grill? My dumb husband forgot ours. Our cell phone # is 555-1234

I'm going into town Tuesday afternoon on a food run.  Plenty of room in the van if anybody wants to come with; we're the blue Dodge caravan parked by the trampoline guy.

Nowadays, I suppose even the folkies have done away with thumbtacks and markers and just wiz-bang everything with their laptops and Blackberries.

Another hallmark of folk festivals is that everybody in your group gets together the night before and spreads everything out on the driveway so that some consolidation can take place: Hey, maybe just one charcoal grill would be enough for the five of us, huh?  Let's stash the other two in the garage and free up some space in the van. Pretty sure one can of bugspray will do it for us, too.  And leave the guitar amp at home; there's no electricity out there, dude.

Anyway, NPS isn't a folk festival, and Madison is hardly the back woods of the Berkshire Mountains, but still I wonder if we could use this forum to pack a little lighter and travel a little smarter.

I'm nervous about everybody just posting willy-nilly though, because the thread would become unmanageable.

Maybe something like

Thread for travel:  People needing rides/ people offering rides/ people going sightseeing and looking for company, etc.

Thread for gear: I'm bringing this [big heavy thing]/ anybody have a [big, heavy thing] I can borrow?

Thread for local expertise: I know a good auto mechanic in Madison, I need a reliable babysitter in Madison, etc.

Again, I'm kind of thinking out loud. People on teams are probably already doing this on a smaller scale, but the Internet is really good at putting small ideas onto larger scales, right?

AmyD

• Ballad
    • View Profile
Re: NPS bulletin board
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 08:51:15 PM »
Perhaps we could match people flying into Milwaukee or Madison with people driving up from one of those two locations?

I have to check with my team, but there's a good chance we'll be taking at least 2 cars up for 4 people.

Also, if you don't find a ride, check out megabus...I think this is a midwest thing but it may be better than greyhound.

karen_g

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/artamokslamteam
Re: NPS bulletin board-carpool
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 01:37:09 PM »
 1 of my Nats roomies, carpooling, lookin' for company!
Body:    Help her out & I'm sure she'll give you a massage.

Hell, we all can cash in on that if she drives.

Check it:

http://www.myspace.com/copperhead_red

Date: Jul 23, 2008 1:36 PM
Subject: ROADTRIP!!!
Body: PSI NATIONALS IN MADISON WI!!!

I am driving (as of now) and am looking for someone to ride with/split gas for the Trip! Leaving date is negotiable and my car gets great mileage.

Please let me know if you are in the TN, KY, GA, NC area and would like to join the journey!

Would like to leave out of Knoxville but other options are negotiable, just let me know where you are and we'll discuss plans from there!

Any interest PLEASE REPLY ASAP!

Blessings
Copperhead Red :)
nerak_g

Steve

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • The Wordsmith Press
Re: NPS bulletin board
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 10:00:29 AM »
PSI will take all surrendered rooms and hold them in the block until 48 hours before the event. If you have a room to give, call me 810-231-5435 (please, during business hours Eastern time). PSI will take them off your hands and hold them for people who need them at the last minute. We should have done it this way from the start. Watch for a completely different system in the future. Should be cheaper too