Mesa Poetry Slam
Del Sol Reception Hall
243 S Mesa Dr
Mesa, AZ 85210
Here is the 2009 Slamoff Process:
2009 Mesa National Slamoff
This will be year 14 that we have picked a team, and as the old addage says: Go Big, or Go Home. So here we go:
This is the information that was sent out on Anthology.org this evening:
The 2009 Mesa National Poetry Slamoff will be held Thursday, May 21st, 2009.
Tickets for the 2009 Mesa National Poetry Slamoff will go on sale April 1st, 2009.
If you would like to be a member of the 2009 Mesa National Poetry Slam Team, and compete in the 2009 National Poetry Slam to be held in Florida in August 2009:
- How to Qualify
Between March 1 and May 14th, 2009, poets will be able to Slam weekly and earn points the schedule is listed below:
March, 2009- 5th, 12th, 19th and 26th
April, 2009- 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd, 30th
May, 2009- 7th and 14th
You will notice that we have replaced all open mics with slams during these months. In each poetry slam, poets will earn points based on how many total poets slam. See the example below for details. Following the final week of Competition (May 14th), the top 12 poets will be invited to compete in the Slamoff, which will be held on Thursday May 21st, 2009. The poet that has accumulated the most points will be allowed to read last in the first round, with the poet that has earned the fewest points reading first.
An Example of earning points.
If there are 10 poets that read in a slam, the winner receives 10 points, the 2nd place poet 9 points, and so on.
* To sucessfully earn points, you must read in each round that you ualify for. If you are cut from a round because of congestion, you will still earn points for the slam.
* Hosts do not receive any points for hosting.
* Points may not be transferred of given away.
Registration for the 2009 Slamoff
Poets that qualify for the 2009 Slamoff will need to:
* Bring a registration fee of $40 on the night of the Finals (May 21st).
* Make sure that they are registered members of Poetry Slam Inc. Membership may be obtained at http://www.poetryslam.com
* Accept their invitation Prior to May17th, 2009.
Additional 2009 Slam Team Info
* The 2009 Team will be coached by veteran Mesa Slammaster Bob Nelson.
* If you are on the team, you should understand that you will be obligated to meet once per week outside of the normal slam schedule for a series of workshops and practice sessions between May and August.
* If you are on the team, you should also be prepared to contribute to a team chapbook and CD for fundraising, attend fundraising shows and generally spend a distressingly busy summer promoting your poetry and raising money so you has to come up with less money on your own when the time comes.
Updates and Changes
As always, visit http://www.anthology.org
for updates and/or changes to the 2009 Mesa National Slam Team selection process. Directions to Del Sol are on the site.