The First & Last Monday every month
2590 Washington Street
Denver, CO 80205www.slamnuba.com
7:00 doors - sign up by 7:30 (no exceptions),
8:00 open mic followed immediately by the slam!
All Ages Welcome - $5 cover, $2 for competing poets
2010 Slam Rules
- ORIGINAL WORK: Poets must perform their own original work.
- SAMPLING: using a “sample” or a part of another person's poem or song within a poem is allowed – however, the majority of the poem must be of the poet’s own original construction.
- TIME: Each Poet is given 3 minutes to perform an original piece of work. At the end of 3 minutes, a 10 second grace period will be given. For each ten-second period beyond 3:10, ½ point will be deducted from the poem’s score. At 4 minutes, the MC will likely cut the poet off. For certain competitions the time limit is changed – this will be announced in advance.
- PROPS: Poets may not use props, costumes, nudity, or musical accompaniment.
- JUDGES: Your poem and performance will be judged by three to five judges randomly selected from the audience before the show. The MC will do their best to find unbiased judges based on the audience. Ideally, the judges will not know or have any connection to the competing poets.
- SCORING: The judges will score each performance from 0.0 to 10.0. Zero is the worst, ten is the best. If we have five judges, the high and low scores are dropped and the three scores in the middle are added together for the score. If we have three judges, then all scores are kept and added together to obtain the score for each poem.
- FORMAT: Slam Nuba slams are run in three rounds of competition and with the highest scoring poets from each round advancing. “Qualifying” or “open” slams are open to up to 12 poets. In instances of tied scores, both tied poets will advance to the next round. In the case of a tie in the final round, both poets will be required to enter into a final “death match” to determine the winner.
Slams are open to anyone, however, according to Poetry Slam Inc. regulations, poets must be 21 years of age in order to participate at the National Poetry Slam; some years the host city lowers this age limit to 18. Our venue is all ages, and we encourage poets of all ages to participate in the local competition.
TEAM SELECTION SLAM OFF:
The team selection slam off will have a minimum of 8 competitors. Poets must have accumulated 18 points throughout the qualifying season (August 10, 2009 – March 31, 2010) to qualify for the slam off. If less than 8 qualified competitors are present and able to compete in the slam off, poets will be moved up based on the total number of accumulated points.
Points are accumulated throughout the season according to the following schedule:
1st place = 5 points
2nd place = 3 points
Participating in a slam (slamming without placing, hosting, voice of god/goddess) = 2 points
Participating in a qualifying Slam Nuba community event* = 2 points
Before competing in the slam-off, poets will be required to sign an agreement with Slam Nuba prepared by the Slam Master(s) which outlines the requirements for team participation, including PSI membership and adherence with PSI rules. The five poets with the highest scores will qualify for the team. If the winners of the team selection slam off are unable to attend NPS, Slam Nuba will go down the list of qualified finals poets to determine the team.
As for the slam-off process, it is as follows:
3 rounds. All poets compete in all three rounds and the cumulative score determines your rank. The first round is random draw, the second and third round are ordered by score - highest score going first, lowest score going last.
Should a team member need to be replaced, the poets competing in the slam-off will have the first right of refusal in order of their final rank. If the poets from the slam-off are unavailable to participate on the team, a publicly advertised "emergency slam-off" will be held.
If Slam Nuba sponsors a representative, the Slam-Off Champ will have first right of refusal to represent Slam Nuba at the Individual World Poetry Slam championship. If the Slam-Off Champ is unable to attend IWPS, Slam Nuba will go down the list of qualified finals poets to determine the rep.
If Slam Nuba sponsors a representative, the 4 women with the highest accumulation of points for the current season will be invited to slam off. The slam will feature 1, 2, 3, and 4 minute rounds with all poets competing in all rounds - no eliminations. The first round is random draw - the remaining rounds will follow NPS format:
The poet with the most points at the end of the night will be the official Slam Nuba WOWPS Representative.
*Qualifying "Slam Nuba community events" which will earn participants/contributors points are defined as "Slam Nuba Workshops" and performing at special events that are fundraisers specifically for Slam Nuba.