Author Topic: TEMPE TEAM - RADIO INTERVIEW  (Read 38162 times)

kashe

• Limerick
    • View Profile
Re: TEMPE TEAM - RADIO INTERVIEW
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2007, 01:37:54 AM »
As for all the numerous attacks on the Mental Graffiti people for filing the protest or all that Kahoots nonsense,

When MG filed the protest they had no way of knowing that if the DQ went through, if it meant that MG would get the spot, or of one of the teams whom Tempe Competed against would get the spot if the ranks were changed.

dbodinem

• Ballad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.donmciver.net
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2007, 08:59:26 AM »
Quote from: Queenpen link=topic=3747.msg32497#msg32497 date=

A bit off the subject but I had to address the quote above...

dbodinem, you and your slam team are lucky and you should be thankful. But know this... My SM and Coach busted their asses to make sure we made it to Nationals but we still each came out of our pockets to make up the difference. My community (at this point)  does not care about poetry or SLAM but it is not any of our faults. We are doing our best to bring poetry to the city of Killeen but for the 2007 Nationals we got ZERO support.  I 100% disagree with your statment and you cannot blame a cities lack of support on the team.

Now of course since we had a little success we might see city officials want to lend support in the future but our team is new... just like Tempe and these things take time. We are not all as lucky as your team but with a little time... maybe.

Respectfully,
Queen
Killeen Poetry Slam

Queen Pen,

This was not meant as a criticism of Killeen, or any scene, that willingly pays its own way for a variety of reasons.  I was specifically addressing the notion that PSI is taking advantage of poets. 

My argument is that with time, experience, etc. slams should be able to fund their way to nationals without having to ask poets to pay their way.  We deliver a valuable commodity that people are willing to pay for.   Yes, I know that wording is weird and troubling, but I think as slammasters we have to come to grips to the reality of life and understand that we provide something that people are willing to pay for.

When I say my "city," I am actually referring to what is our biggest fundraiser: our slamoff.  For the past 5 years, we have raised over $1000 with our slamoff, an event, including raising $1800 this year. I think the notion of us sharing our stories about how we get to NPS and sharing how we fund our endeavours would be a valuable service for this forum.

And congratulations on kicking ass this year.

Off to start another thread.

Don McIver
on McIver
2002-2004 ABQ Slam Team
ABQ Slammaster
NPS 2005 Media Director

apollopoetry

• Limerick
    • View Profile
    • www.TravelingPoet.com
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2007, 09:05:49 AM »
I think if ANYTHING, this entire experience motivated me to take things into my own hands, so I'm not held accountable for somebody else's actions.  There's a good chance that was my first and last year 'slamming', but maybe that's just cause of how I feel now.  I'm already starting a whole launch of things out here and trying to get info on starting a non-profit organization out here as well. And nobody is as 'big' as I am ....or 'was'.......and nobody is smaller than I am or was...I don't look at anything like that....I've gone through every ego-trip possible and as grounded now as I ever was.  I'm disgusted by a LOT of things and a lot of people and a lot of actions, but some more than others, and trust me: I'm just as critical on my own decisions to be led....I'm usually a leader, because this is what happens when I follow other people and put my trust in them. I'm out fending and defending other people's actions and not living up to my own
www.TravelingPoet.com
The upcoming poetic peace pilgrimage around the world

teresa

• Haiku
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2007, 11:11:00 AM »
I think the notion of us sharing our stories about how we get to NPS and sharing how we fund our endeavours would be a valuable service for this forum.

And congratulations on kicking ass this year.

Off to start another thread.

Don McIver
[/quote]

I agree that sharing our stories of how we got here is helpful & builds community - both at home & nationally.  Tucson was a rookie team, but we begged family members for frequent flyer miles, put on a big fundraiser show, made a chapbook to sell & only had to come out of pocket for meals & cocktails (which we would have paid for if we had stayed home.)  Apollo, starting your own non-profit may be helpful, but takes a year or two (just finished that process for a new non-profit.) It may be more useful for you to connect with NorAZ or Anthology or just use PSI's grantback program for fundraising for the first year or two. 

This is probably the subject of a new thread, but I'm new to using forum (of any type) & don't know how to do that.
Teresa

apollopoetry

• Limerick
    • View Profile
    • www.TravelingPoet.com
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2007, 11:56:36 AM »
it takes 2 years???? I've already owned APOLLO MUSIC, LLC for a while, but i don't see why the process would take 2 years for a non-profit one
www.TravelingPoet.com

bobdapoet

• Ballad
    • View Profile
    • Anthology, inc.
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2007, 12:12:06 PM »
Apollo-

I am happy to share the process we went through in 2001 to Nonprofit. It didn't take us two years. I'll be at Chyro tonite, and am meeting with Jeremiah and Arrian on Friday night, but I am free tomorrow or this weekend. email me bob@anthology.org.

Bob

Delrica

• Epic
  • Follicles, mayne!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.4luvofpoetry.com
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2007, 12:35:18 PM »
This will probably be the last time I dip into this thread.

Apollo, it hasn't been a week since this whole thing went down, so you are probably still in your feelings (as a lot of us are over our respective situations, good or bad). A week is way too soon to decide your future in slamming.

I don't think it would be a good idea for you to make a snap decision to stop slamming based on your first time out the gate.  I think that the members of your team that were unaware of your SMs lack of experience and oversights may have soiled your perspective on slam. Don't let that be a deterrent from what can be a fun and possibly rewarding experience down the line.

Will you get endorsements from slam? Probably not. Get on Def Jam? Perhaps...if you know the right people and have the talent. Become the next Saul Williams or Taylor Mali? Who knows?  Will your work and words touch someone in the audience and possibly change their lives for the better? DEFINITELY.

I would say take a mini-vacation from slam (like a month off or so). Let all the toxins of a bad situation out of your system and then come back refreshed.  Dig into finding out the right way to do things for the sake of your venue (or just join up with a new venue or better still, start your own venue) and come to Madison next year (team or no team).

You strike me as the type that can bounce back from this sort of thing. So do that.  But coming back to the bad of this situation won't help matters in the future and will take longer for the wounds to start healing.
*The views expressed by Delrica are not that of PSi nor the Executive Council. Her gems are her own...deal with it*

apollopoetry

• Limerick
    • View Profile
    • www.TravelingPoet.com
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2007, 04:07:29 PM »
Thank you for your words....and I'm attempting to do that....Which is why I  haven't contacted Bob yet or anyone who was somewhat involved in my eyes...I'm waiting some time to go by before any of that happens...BUT- Just because i'm done slamming wouldn't mean that i'm done with poetry...i think id' rather just feature...do poems that are 4 minutes long. AND have music instead..and not be around people who are competing, because competition brings out the ugly out of beautiful.
I thank you for that invitation and will mos. def. take you up on it once i get my new set/sound/vibe ready . Keep doing your thing
www.TravelingPoet.com

Tim Stafford

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dansully.org
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2007, 04:58:44 PM »
nobody from Chicago was making out with anybody from Mesa during semi's.

Chesko and i might have been holding hands but that hardly constitutes "making out"

teresa

• Haiku
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2007, 05:16:18 PM »
sevan: 

in re 501c3 - it does not have to take two years.  but if you get a desperate/pathetic/crappy irs agent it can.  that's why the suggestion on finding fiscal sponsor while going through the process and/or talking to a lawyer who specializes....cover your bases.  i am not the only person to have had issues with this in the past couple of years, other literary arts non-profits that i know went through the grinder.  they're not trusting applications the way they used to because of the political "non-profits."  the main thing is to make sure that there is no way they can accuse you of allowing a for profit entity (like your llc) or an individual (any slam poet) to make money under your umbrella.  they gave me the third degree about potential chapbook sales.  best of luck to you with it sevan. 

and regarding linz's post in re your post that referred to all arizona poets as "liars, backstabbers, or bad poets"
you owe us arizona poets, as a group or as individuals, either apologies or constructive criticism.  me, i'd prefer constructive criticism, but it's a lot more work than an apology.

& for the record, i don't hug people i don't truly like.  life's too short & last week in austin y'all were too sweaty.  i gotta love you to walk around smelling like you for the rest of my evening.

teresa

from "i'm really not involved in this why did you bother to insult me?" tucson

apollopoetry

• Limerick
    • View Profile
    • www.TravelingPoet.com
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2007, 05:40:52 PM »
i think that people include themselves in everything. I didnt say ALL poets are this and that. I just said that Arizona sent 'liars, cheaters, and bad poets'.....which they did...AND they also sent good poets, honest people, and hard workers. Don't classify yourself in a category that you don't truly feel you belong to, ya know

Thanks for that info.
www.TravelingPoet.com

apollopoetry

• Limerick
    • View Profile
    • www.TravelingPoet.com
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2007, 10:02:52 PM »
So when is Wal-Mart gonna sponsor poets?  ???
www.TravelingPoet.com

jesster

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Jesse Parent
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2007, 01:06:31 AM »

When they're made in China.

-Jesster

JeFFStumpo

• Limerick
    • View Profile
    • JeFF's home page
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2007, 02:15:41 AM »

When they're made in China.

-Jesster

But what if we get a batch of toxic Li Po? Then nobody will want to read poetry! Oh...wait...

That was probably in bad taste. Sorry. Not sorry enough to not post it, but sorry. Please feel free to chime in with appropriate bad jokes about U.S.-made poets. ;D

randomcelestial

• Rules Rewrite Committee
  • Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2007, 04:58:59 PM »
YES!!!  WALMART SIGN ME UP!!!