Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/pslam/forums/public_html/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
*GAH* The BERKELEY CURSE!!! 

Author Topic: *GAH* The BERKELEY CURSE!!!  (Read 13763 times)

charlesellik

*GAH* The BERKELEY CURSE!!!
« on: April 18, 2007, 03:42:13 PM »
Folks--

--Many of you know about it.  Some may have forgotten.  Others may feel tingles down their spine as they hear about it for the first time:

--Berkeley's top-ranked poet NEVER makes a Berkeley Team!

***LIGHTNING FLASH***THUNDER***
EEEeeeeOOOOooowwweeee
*spooky sounds*

--That's right, in seven years, not one of our #1 poets were on our team.  Some dropped off to be on other teams, others got caught in scheduling conflicts, but most suffered bizarre and unusual setbacks that took them out of contention.

--Believe it or not, many savvy poets purposely avoid gaining too many points in Prelims so as to duck the curse.  And it worked!

--This year, again, we have a poet way out in the lead people say is a shoo-in for the team.

--Christian Drake has VOWED to shatter the dreaded Berkeley Curse and save future generations of poets from the creeping horror. 

--Can he survive?  Can you stand the agony of waiting to see WHAT WILL HAPPEN?!?

--Berkeley Semi's start NEXT WEEK!

Link

Re: *GAH* The BERKELEY CURSE!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 05:30:11 AM »
The Vegas odds are actually looking in his favor...but he's still down a bit...Hmm I may only put a ten on him to make it  ;)

Bob Whoopeecat Stephenson

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • The Poetry Grind
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 12:04:03 PM »
I got $20 on Christian making the team.  Any takers?  I would love to see him break the curse.
Whoopeecat
Slam Master
Dallas-Poetry Grind

JMHuscher

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 01:54:54 PM »
It's no lie. Christian Drake is probably my favorite slam poet ever.

Did anyone else see him at the Anarchy slam in Vancouver? Holy Rockabilly, Batman. That performance was like nothing I had ever seen before.

All of my fingers are crossed for him.

Delrica

• Epic
  • Follicles, mayne!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.4luvofpoetry.com
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 11:34:52 AM »
It's no lie. Christian Drake is probably my favorite slam poet ever.

Did anyone else see him at the Anarchy slam in Vancouver? Holy Rockabilly, Batman. That performance was like nothing I had ever seen before.

All of my fingers are crossed for him.

what did he perform at the anarchy slam?
*The views expressed by Delrica are not that of PSi nor the Executive Council. Her gems are her own...deal with it*

JMHuscher

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 12:53:51 AM »
what did he perform at the anarchy slam?

I don't even know... some crazy thing about robots and wires coming out of me. It was a cover.

charlesellik

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 11:00:55 AM »
Folks--

--FYI, here is the split for Semis.  I hope Christian breaks the curse, too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BERZERKELEY POETRY SLAM -- Every Wednesday.
Chaz checks in:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

----THIS WEEK: SEMIFINALS #1! 8 of the Top 20 poets battle for a spot in Finals! Live Jazz, Hot Pizza, and Irish Beer! Team Fundraiser! $8 Door goes to YOUR team!

----For the past 7 months, 100's of poets have battled to earn points by finishing in the top 4 at our regular open slams. The top 20 advance to
Semi's. Poets are split into 2 groups, divided even/odd by rank and alphabetical order. Poets are allowed to switch nights only if they can find a
poet of similar rank on the opposite night willing to trade. This happens often, for reasons as simple as dental work or family vacations.

----The top 4 poets from each Semifinal advance to Finals to face our Indi Champ (who won the spot in December), Jamie De Wolf (Kennedy). Jamie finished 4th in the WORLD at IWPS in Vancouver! All bouts are 3 rounds, cumulative scores. Poems may not be repeated in Semi's or Finals, so poets need a total of 6 poems, plus one in case of tie. The top 5 poets in Finals win a free trip to Nationals as the new Berkeley Slam Team. Who will be our new grand champ & win *gasp* THE COVETED GOLDEN MACARONI BELT?!? YOU decide, as all judges are randomly selected from the audience!!!

----This year is promising to be our most competitive ever, and some poets have plainly stated they are scared shitless! We have a national, inter- national, & world slam champ, a 3-time collegiate champ, the Youth Speaks champ, 3 grand slam champs, 14 veterans, & 6 poets who have never been on a National team, but who could hardly be called amateurs. Only 2 members of last year's team are trying again! We have an age range of 19 to 67. 13 males & 7 females, plus a huge diversity of ethnicities. Semi's & Finals are fundraisers for the team, so PLEASE bring your friends &/or dig deep & donate! Consider buying season tickets for next year (only $200)! Help us send what promises to be an incredible team to Austin, Texas, to bring the National title back to the Bay!

Semi's #1, April 25
1. Christian Drake: 30 points
3. Stephen Meads: 18 points
4. Lucky 7: 13 points
5. D.Silence: 11 points
9. Mack Dennis: 6 points
13. Sara Lihz: 5 points
18. Mike McGee: 4 points
15. Sam Pierstorff: 5 points
17. Felipe: 4 points
19. Kat Sanford: 4 points

Semi's #2, May 2
2. Isaac Miller: 20 points
6. Christine Hatch: 10 points
7. Miss Ashleigh: 10 points
8. Joshua Walters: 8 points
10. Kim Johnson: 6 points
11. Stephen Bor: 5 points
12. Cheryl F: 5 points
14. Andrew Lowe: 5 points
16. Dawn: 4 points
20. Laura SS: 4 points

----LAST WEEK: I'll keep this short: full house, supportive vibe, 19 poets signed up and jockeying for a spot in Semi's. Christian did a fine job of emceeing this crucial final qualifying slam. Many veterans were lurking in the corners scooping out their competition. The slam was surprisingly convivial, with poets quite supportive of one another. Only 4 poets were males!!! Top score of Round 1 went to D.Silence. Most dramatic moment was when a new poet, Brooke, actually fainted onstage from the intense pressure of competition! She collected herself, read her piece while sitting in a chair, and advanced to the second round! Biggest surprise was two newbie poets shrugging off the veterans to advance to Round 2!

---OUR FEATURE: Jared Paul quite simply traumatized those who expected mediocre poetry! He romped through a highly-charged set of political poems and brought our jaded audience to their feet for a standing ovation! He sold tons of books and T- shirts, rare for any poet in the Bay, and plainly fulfilled a need for poets to boldly speak truth to power.

--Round 2: Newbie slam poet Esther gave up her spot so her friend could read, both disqualifying herself AND juicing the show. Kudos! Laura S-S took a HUGE time penalty to finish 4th, but still earned the one point she needed to advance into Semi's. Brooke kept it simple and read from the page to squeak into 3rd. Cheryl rocked two signature pieces to secure 2nd and a berth in Semi's. Winning it all and literally bring tears to the eyes of spectators was D.Silence with "Karate Kid".

----UPCOMING: APRIL 25: Team Semi's #2: 8 of the top 16 poets Battle for a spot in Finals; $8 door.
May 9: **TEAM FINALS!** This is IT! NorCal's top poets bring their top poems to the most intense 3 rounds of poetry you'll witness in NorCal this year! $12 door. Every dollar goes to YOUR team!

------STARRY PLOUGH. 3101 Shattuck. 510-841-2082.
(1 block uphill of Ashby BART). EVERY WEDS.
8:30-11pm. Sign-ups: 7:30. All ages before 9pm.
Hosts: Charles Ellik, Betsy Roll & Friends.
Live Music: 3 Blind Mice, & DJ Agana.
http://www.myspace.com/berkeleypoetryslam
http://www.berkeleypoetryslam.com

paradox

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 02:28:24 PM »
I got $20 on Christian making the team.  Any takers?  I would love to see him break the curse.

I'll take the bet?

raise you $40.00 that if he does make the team he takes 4th place behind Jamie, Mike, and Issac.

Andre.

charlesellik

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 03:42:56 AM »

I'll take the bet?

raise you $40.00 that if he does make the team he takes 4th place behind Jamie, Mike, and Issac.

Andre.

---Here's some news you didn't expect, but maybe should have:  Mike McGee showed up too late to Semi's to be in the draw.  So he's out.  Mack Dennis, too.  They both arrived at 8:15, after the other poets reached concensus that the 8:00 cut-off time should stand. 

---Man, it just kills me.  You know how much I wanted to work with Mike this year, but DAMN!  You can't bend a rule after sending out email to everyone and publically putting up a post annoucning there would be no exceptions to the rule.  Same thing happened to Mike in the $1000 Indi slam back in 2003.  I'm glad Mike wasn't the only one, so he couldn't take it personal, and that we had two alternates who were there EARLY, eager for the spots.  NOT the best outcome for the audience, but it does mean everyone is held to the same standard, and that will ensure fewer hurt feelings in the long run.

---On the other hand, Christian debuted a new poem in the first round and took a pretty bad hit.  But he came back in the second and third rounds to win the night.  Barely, but he did.  That does NOT mean the curse is broken, but he ducked one big arrow.

Steve

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • The Wordsmith Press
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 06:26:39 AM »
From the sounds of things, the absence of the only NPS Indy Champ who has also won the Indy World title and the absence of Mack means he ducked three arrows.

paradox

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 11:01:25 AM »
Andre.
[/quote]

---Here's some news you didn't expect, but maybe should have:  Mike McGee showed up too late to Semi's to be in the draw.  So he's out.  Mack Dennis, too.  They both arrived at 8:15, after the other poets reached concensus that the 8:00 cut-off time should stand. 

---Man, it just kills me.  You know how much I wanted to work with Mike this year, but DAMN!  You can't bend a rule after sending out email to everyone and publically putting up a post annoucning there would be no exceptions to the rule.  Same thing happened to Mike in the $1000 Indi slam back in 2003.  I'm glad Mike wasn't the only one, so he couldn't take it personal, and that we had two alternates who were there EARLY, eager for the spots.  NOT the best outcome for the audience, but it does mean everyone is held to the same standard, and that will ensure fewer hurt feelings in the long run.

---On the other hand, Christian debuted a new poem in the first round and took a pretty bad hit.  But he came back in the second and third rounds to win the night.  Barely, but he did.  That does NOT mean the curse is broken, but he ducked one big arrow.
[/quote]

Wow,  I was really looking forward to hearing who brought it the hardest between Mike and Christian last night.  Oh well all bets are off not that Bob took me up on it anyway.  I still think finals will be very interesiting, although I don't really know because you haven't posted anything about last night.  Sometimes I wish I still lived around the corner and could see things for myself but in the same token, that would mean I would still be trying to compete and I'm not a very nice person when competing.  So maybe it's better this way but if you could please post some results somewhere I would appreicate it.  oh yeah and D Silence?

charlesellik

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 01:01:21 AM »
I still think finals will be very interesiting, although I don't really know because you haven't posted anything about last night.  Sometimes I wish I still lived around the corner and could see things for myself but in the same token, that would mean I would still be trying to compete and I'm not a very nice person when competing.  So maybe it's better this way but if you could please post some results somewhere I would appreicate it.  oh yeah and D Silence?

Sorry!  I was exhausted last night.  Here's the basic stuff.  I'll write up a blow-by-blow for my livejournal (chazellik) rather than clutter up the PSI forum.

~~~~~~~~~~~
---Full house, lots of excitement, nervous poets. We raised nearly $800 for the team. THANK YOU everyone who promoted, got word out, volunteered, showed up and supported!

1. Christian Drake 26.3/28.9/29.2=84.4
2. D.Silence 27.9/28.0/27.3=83.2
3. Kat Sanford 26.7/27.5/28.4=82.6
4. Sam Pierstorff 26.1/27.7/28.3=82.1

5. Lucky 7 24.1/27.5/28.9=80.5
6. Stephen Meads 24.5/27.9/25.7=78.1
7. Felipe 25.7/25.4/27.0=78.1
8. Mark States 23.7/23.8/26.9=74.4
9. Abe 22.9/26.4/25.0=74.3

charlesellik

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 01:13:27 AM »
From the sounds of things, the absence of the only NPS Indy Champ who has also won the Indy World title and the absence of Mack means he ducked three arrows.

True enough.  Mack is formidable when he decides he wants to win.  But the way Semi's are formatted, poets really only have to finish in the top 4.   And Mack is looking to go to Nationals with San Francisco, anyway.  The whole dynamic is so interesting; who wants to be on the team, who is hedging their bets, who is just in it on a lark.  Which poets want to work with one another.  With so many poets and so many teams so close together and so much permiability, the social dynamic plays as much into the game as the poems themselves.

karen_g

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/artamokslamteam
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 10:17:55 PM »
I'm also sayin' ---Go, Kat, Go!

And curses be broken! Can't wait to see (eventually, hear) how it turns out! :D
nerak_g

Link

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 07:12:49 AM »
my money's still on Christian Drake for the win!!!