Thunderclap

Author Topic: When is it best to send out a feature/show announcement?  (Read 3714 times)

johnpowers

• Limerick
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gotpoetry.com
When is it best to send out a feature/show announcement?
« on: January 10, 2007, 10:13:34 AM »
Question.  When do people who run shows send out thier announcement emails?

Does sending something out the day of the event ever help?

Is 3 days before best?

Is 1 week before best?

I'm really curious as to what works for most people.

Scott Woods

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.scottwoodswrites.net
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 11:20:36 AM »
I do it twice: about 3-4 days before, then the day of.

simone

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • Boston Poetry Slam
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 12:08:50 PM »
For our weekly show, I send the press release with out schedule for a month out every week (so publications get announcements for the next four shows each week).

For a bigger show or a particular spotlight, I send announcements starting a few months in advance with greater detail as the show approaches. I include press in all of these and individuals usually for the mailings one month and one week before.

I generally don't send anything last-minute unless it's a specific email to friends. But I also host the weekly show where I can plug whatever I want between open mic readers. And I do. :)
Simone Beaubien
SlamMaster, Boston Poetry Slam

Delrica

• Epic
  • Follicles, mayne!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.4luvofpoetry.com
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 12:15:55 PM »
Wednesday before our show.

Though I'm going to be trying additional marketing tactics soon.
*The views expressed by Delrica are not that of PSi nor the Executive Council. Her gems are her own...deal with it*

Bob Whoopeecat Stephenson

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • The Poetry Grind
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 02:23:51 PM »
Big shows like DIPS, press releases start 90 days out and every two weeks until two weeks before.  Then two a week until three days before  the event.  You waste energy and time on these the day of.

Bi weekly shows, press release out at the beginning of the month for feature information.  Then the week before.  E-mail blast to a 350+ list out the weekend before the show.  Myspace posts two days before.  

Flyers to local schools, coffee houses, libraries up to two weeks prior.  Most have a 30 day time limit that they can remain posted so I try to list all upcoming shows for the month.

As soon as website is complete.  All features and specialty pages will be up to date with features and info
Whoopeecat
Slam Master
Dallas-Poetry Grind

karen_g

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/artamokslamteam
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 03:53:43 PM »
When I have a nice month lined up with a lot going on, I try a newsletter format for that month during the first week.
Then I send out announcements for each event a week in advance and then, perhaps, 3-4 days before.
Papers, of course, have their own sched to keep up with, as well as different lists I don't want to be hitting constantly, like spam.
I am better about this with some events and months than others.
I have worked my butt off, done everything right, and haven't met expectations and other times, I have done the minimum and word of mouth spread to exceed my expectations.
I know that steady effort builds reliability and  prevents the leaner, more discouraging times from getting us down, and some seasons have all and nothing while others are also steady.The important thing is, as with so many aspects, the doing.
nerak_g

Link

• Sonnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 08:06:46 AM »
I send them out a week, three days, and the day of the event.
love is not a G.E.D.  You cannot go back for it once you've dropped out.

WonderDave

• NPS Host City Forum
  • Sonnet
    • View Profile
Notices
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 11:52:42 PM »
I send out a monthly newsletter for the slams Usually about three days before the first slam of the month (We have slams the 2nd and fourth Tues each month) However the e-mail has dates for Upcoming events  beyond that months Slam. My open mic I send out one e-mail a month usually about 3 days before the first open mic, I send out more notices if I have a feature or special event going on. Hope that's helpful.