Author Topic: iWPS attendees 2007  (Read 4050 times)

Steve

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • The Wordsmith Press
iWPS attendees 2007
« on: November 22, 2006, 10:25:59 AM »
Heads up!

FYI,

Just got this e-mail from Karen Finneyfrock, former SlamMaster from Seattle.

Hi Steve,

I just noticed a story from AP wires today that indicates a change in the passport/driver's license use for travel into and out of Canada. The story says that starting Jan. 23, all travel in and out of the country, including returning Americans will need to show passports. I wanted to alert you since that could have an incredible impact on iWPS. I assume most poets were planning on travelling with driver's license and it's too late for most to get passports in time.

Hope things are going well otherwise!

Karen

I will spread this information across our internal network and I will be applying for my passport this week.

inkera

• Executive Council
  • Epic
    • View Profile
    • Slamcharlotte
New Requirements for Travelers
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 02:15:08 PM »
New Requirements for Travelers
Under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)

The proposed implementation timeline has two phases:

Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document.

As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.
I love me MORE.......the campaign

Steve

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • The Wordsmith Press
iWPS attendees 2007
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 07:06:05 PM »
Thank you Inkera. I'm going to get my passport anyway. To err on the side of caution here is not to err. But Inkera gives us hope that even poets, notorious procrastinators, may meet with fortune at the border.

Bob Whoopeecat Stephenson

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • The Poetry Grind
iWPS attendees 2007
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 10:01:45 AM »
Now's the time to get it done if you don't want to pay the express charges.  Takes 4-6 weeks.  Got my renewed passport last week.  Paying the rush charges will insure you get it on time.
Whoopeecat
Slam Master
Dallas-Poetry Grind

Raul "magic man" Rodarte

• Limerick
  • Pull the plank from your eye, brother.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/spokenwords101
iWPS attendees 2007
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 01:02:50 PM »
Does anyone know when or where the official list of competators for the IWPS 2007 will be posted?

thanks.
Raul "Magic Man" Rodarte

"Be the change you want to see in the world."

Steve

• Epic
    • View Profile
    • The Wordsmith Press
iWPS attendees 2007
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 04:43:35 PM »
I had hoped to have them out by now. I'm struggling with folks who have registered themselves but who are actually representing certified venues. It seems it will matter as we are (I think) full. Give me another hour or so.